[Request] RyanVM Integrator 1.2.2

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
end3rkid

[Request] RyanVM Integrator 1.2.2

Post by end3rkid » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:09 am

Anyone keeps this previous version?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:17 am

If you must have it, RyanVM still has a working link for it for the moment:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=28549#28549

There are already a few threads asking this very same question. Please search next time. :)

end3rkid

Post by end3rkid » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:22 am

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:44 am

But be aware... that a lot of newer things will not work with 1.2.2.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:31 am

Yeah, next Update Pack will require v1.4 to work
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

jmbattle

Post by jmbattle » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:34 am

In which case, may I request to have the 'remove .CAT files' option reinstated, please?

I understand that it is possible to simply delete the files manually, however cleaning the .infs automatically is a far more graceful option.

Thanks,
James
x

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:48 pm

And for the "nth" time, "Remove .CAT files" is no longer the necessity it once was, especially in regards to the RVM update packs.

If people want to remove CAT files, they should atleast do the minimum research and testing to determine which ones should be and which ones shouldn't be. If they feel like sharing that information in the form of an addon, then so be it to the benefit of all.

However, you're asking for Siginet (on top of everything else) to do this and make the Integrator handle it internally and natively which would cause for trying to maintain compatability (both forwards and backwards) across all possible update packs that support the Integrator, because that's what it would come down to. Simply because support for just the RVM update packs would quick prove to be "not sufficient enough" for somebody to raise a fuss over.

No. I know I don't speak for anybody else other than myself, but NO. I would rather a more reliable Integrator than a feature to be built in that I can (more) easily make an addon to accomplish. I'd rather see what else lies in store for the Integrators future rather than see it shackled by it's past for a feature that is more easily obtainable as an addon at best and obsolete at worst.

If your integration has so many updates that you're having a 10+ minute hang before GUI mode begins installing your hardware or a clean sp2 source with ONLY the updates applied (and no other miscellanous addons or programs) is taking 10+ minutes during the T-13 stage, perhaps you should probably look closer at either the pack itself, or the number of "necessary" updates you're trying to include.

If you positively absolutely cannot do without a one of them (but feel perfectly fine in undermining the possible stability of your operating system) by removing the CAT files just to speed up your install...... well, feel free to ask for assistance in how you can better accomplish that. Other than asking for an obsolete feature to be re-added.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:10 pm

Siginet wrote:It has been removed because it is obsolete.

Maybe someday someone will make an addon to remove the cat files. But I am not gonna do it. Some cat files will cause issues... so they shouldn't be removed unless you are certain they won't cause you any heartache.
As Siginet also alludes to in that thread, disabling SFC is far simpler and more effective in preventing the problem that removing CATs was supposed to solve. Zacam has a good addon for this. ;)

Of course, in my opinion, Ryan's solution was the best: Simply remove some of the hotfixes that most people wouldn't need.

Why continue to support a solution for a problem that no longer exists?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:45 pm

Do you actually think removing the cats speeds anything up anymore? Because it doesn't. If you are having a hang... it is somwhere else that is causing it. Not the cats. removing cats is obsolete at this time and i WILL NOT be adding the feature back. As for space saving on the disk it barley saves you a half of a MB. THERE IS NO POINT. Soon v1.3 and any integrator before it will also be obsolete because 1.4 is gonna make some drastic changes for the better.

It would be so simple to create an addon to do exactly what the integrator did built in. Just use the sfc_os.dll patch and a simple [Removable_Cats] section:

Code: Select all

[HexEdit]
I386\sfc_os.dll|5.1.2600.2180|60644|83F89D7508|3BC0EB3290

[Removable_Cats]
KB886185.CA_
KB890859.ca_
All you need to add is add all of your removable_cats to the list.

[Removable_Cats] was a feature I made that was never used. I removed it in 1.3 but I will put it back in 1.4.

But I am not going to pursue creating this addon any more. I leave it up to those of you who are stuck in their ways and are willing to take the time to create it.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software