Trust 3rd party updates?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
btvillarin

Trust 3rd party updates?

Post by btvillarin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I asked my boss if I could slipstream SP2 plus these updates onto our Windows XP Pro CD. (We're on a slow internet connection, so until we get a speed upgrade, it takes more than 30 minutes to update Windows after a clean install.) Anyway, he came back and asked about the security of doing this:
  • How confident am I that there's no secret code embedded to hijack important data after Windows is installed?
  • How do I know the integrated update pack won't phone home?
  • What's with the ads? Is Ryan in cahoots with Google?
In regards to the ads, my answer would be that it's helping pay for hosting, but I didn't talk back to my boss since I couldn't answer the other questions.

The way the questions are stated, I'm aware that it sounds kind of cynical. I'm sure people will say, "How can you just trust Microsoft? How can you trust anybody?" I honestly don't know. I see a site, it looks legit, I see a lot of people using it, and I haven't heard anything bad about it.

Any thoughts on what to tell him? Thanks!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:35 pm

How confident am I that there's no secret code embedded to hijack important data after Windows is installed?
The Word of Tens of thousands of satisfied Users Wold Wide
How do I know the integrated update pack won't phone home?
Because it aint Friking E.T.
What's with the ads? Is Ryan in cahoots with Google?
NO! Its to pay for bandwith.
Any thoughts on what to tell him? Thanks!
Tell him to try it and if he likes it then Donate to Support RyanVM and MSFN

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:45 pm

On a more serious note, if you're going to try to sell your boss on the idea then I believe it's best to explore all of your options. If there is enough concern about keeping all of the systems up to date then you could make a proposal that weighs the benefits of using an Update Pack here on the forums to using Microsoft's SUS and manually integrating updates using traditional methods.
Last edited by 5eraph on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:52 pm

The updatepack is proven by thousands or more users to be safe. ;) So no worries there. As for user created addons... I can't guarantee anything because any user can create them. But I can assure you that whenever something bad would be found in any addon people can report it on the site and we would have it removed. You do need to be carfeful with user created addons though. Some of them may have been poorly created and may not work properly. It is good practice to test a few addons at a time and make sure they work fine. Then add more. Once you have addons you know are working efficiently then you will know you have a great disk. If you go wild and add too many addons you may break stuff. So just be patient when adding a bunch of addons.

And as for the google ads... they help pay for all of the time and effort that Ryan and I have put into this project and it helps pay for the hosting. You'd be suprised how many people never think about donating anything because they don't understand all of the time we've put into this.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:04 pm

nm

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:10 pm

Wow, two of these thread in two days :rolleyes:.

Look, I've been doing this for nearly two years now (as you can see by my changelog). I've worked extremely hard over those two years (and in the year prior to that when I was an active MSFN contributor) building a reputation for putting out high quality, reliable work. Don't you think if I were shady that people would have figured that out by now. Also, if you look back at my forums, you'll see that I've always been a rather transparent guy (within reason). I've got nothing to hide.

But ultimately, I can't make you trust me. If you're really that worried, try it out in a virtual machine. Microsoft VirtualPC is completely free, so you've got nothing to lose. You can make an ISO, do a test install, and monitor/test it to your heart's content until you're satisfied. There's no reason for you to have to take mine or anybody else's word for it. Try it yourself and see.

As for the ads on my site, Siginet said it quite clearly. It takes a LOT of time and energy to run a site like this one (which is currently getting over 150,000 hits per month to just the main site - not including the forums), and both Siginet and myself both have full time jobs outside of this site. If your boss really has a problem with ads, then he's welcome to use an ad blocker. You also might want to let him know that Google's main source of revenue is their ad distribution service - it's not just me "in cahoots" with them.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing.
http://www.ryanvm.net/files/cpumag1.png
http://www.ryanvm.net/files/cpumag2.png
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:29 pm

Why don't you order the July issue of CPU magazine and drop it on your boss' desk.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:08 pm

RyanVM wrote:Wow, two of these thread in two days :rolleyes:.
I see this as a good sign. The word is still spreading.

Not to put you on the spot, Ryan, but perhaps there would be less skepticism if everyone knew why you originally created this Update Pack phenomenon.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:31 pm

Wow, thanks for digging that thread up again :)

And speaking of word spreading, try googling my name and see the forum threads on other boards that come up about the pack. There's some funny stuff out there.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Post by Bâshrat the Sneaky » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:01 am

5eraph wrote:
RyanVM wrote:Wow, two of these thread in two days :rolleyes:.
I see this as a good sign. The word is still spreading.

Not to put you on the spot, Ryan, but perhaps there would be less skepticism if everyone knew why you originally created this Update Pack phenomenon.
Thanks, 5eraph! That was an interesting read! :)

@btvillarin: I would trust RyanVM more than Microsoft. RyanVM has to test every single update in detail. He knows the process inside out. I'd prefer donating him 100 USD than I would pay 100 USD for Windows. Why? Windows XP ships with a lot of crap (Minesweeper, Pinball, icons from ancient Windows times, Security Center, etc.). RyanVM's UpdatePacks do what they have to do: update the Windows XP installation files as low level as possible - the way Microsoft should be doing it (or at least they should offer us this option). They are exactly what you expect them to be. Windows XP is nothing what you would expect it to be: NOT stable, NOT few bugs, NOT good included software, is NOT equally fast after one year as on day 1.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:23 pm

I think its unbelievable that someone takes the trouble to provide these updates. Even more unbelievable is people complain about the ads.

WTF do you have to do to please ppl. This guy is doing what microcrap should be doing.

Signed Mr. Grateful.

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:30 pm

All the people here know that the update packs and Integrator are first rate ! But since there are so many programs with spyware floating around I don't think the boss's question is unreasonable. He's probably worried about liability if confidential customer or business data were released. It would seem that loading on a virtual machine and checking with some good antispyware programs before actually installing should ease the bosses mind. On top of that a good firewall should stop something from calilng home without permission.
Joe

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:28 pm

Your boss is right to question seen as he has no idea of any of this. Personaly if i was in your persition i`d guarantee ryan`s, boooggy`s and my update pack`s as being free from "nasties" these are the pack`s i`ve personaly had dealing`s with and can safely recomend.

As for addons there are a few maker`s i would 100% trust (again because i`ve had personal dealing`s with) but even using addons from the trusted makers you would have to make sure to get them from the origional download location provided by the maker so as not to get a "modified" version. ie from this board and not some other site`s download.

All in all everything is safe here if you test and clear it for yourself first. I would have no problem recomending stuff to my boss if i`d tested it first, even though i`m not a security expert, any malicious code provided here would be uncovered in an instance.

As for the ad`s, it`s clear your boss is not familiar with google ad sense, clue him up and all worry`s will be aleviated ;)