RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.2a - Updated September 27, 2006

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:07 pm

mindwarper wrote:OK OK I get it, mayB my ZoneAlam is letting me not download...
and I am using Firefox 2.0 RC 1 as of today, mayB that accounts for something too
Your firewall software is a definite possibility.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

molenin

Post by molenin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:48 am

RyanVM
Nothing went into 2.1.1 which particularly stands out, but it was probably an MS security update. At that point, take it up with them.

You can see the 2.1.1 changelog and access to all the fixes included, so you should be able to figure out exactly what fix broke it rather than spending two months waiting for someone else to do it for you out of the kindness of their heart.
I can't receive all the the hotfixes. In 2.1.1 added 13 fixes, but I have only 9.
Can you answer me, where can i download these fixes:
KB899409, KB921401, KB922128, KB923232
By the way, I was trying to install 9 fixes one behind another and all together, but I received various results each time :(

mindwarper

Post by mindwarper » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:09 am

RyanVM wrote:
mindwarper wrote:OK OK I get it, mayB my ZoneAlam is letting me not download...
and I am using Firefox 2.0 RC 1 as of today, mayB that accounts for something too
Your firewall software is a definite possibility.
Yep so it turned out that it was the case indeed, solved it :D

DJB

Post by DJB » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:15 am

Is it possible to integrate the new 2.1.2a update and 2.1.2 into one file?

piXelatedEmpire

Post by piXelatedEmpire » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:14 am

download link for small update file down? Keep getting Page Cannot Be Displayed error

EDIT: all is good now my bad.

Thanks for the update Ryan! 8)
Last edited by piXelatedEmpire on Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:18 am

Works fine for me.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:51 am

DJB wrote:Is it possible to integrate the new 2.1.2a update and 2.1.2 into one file?
Stay tuned ;)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:51 am

molenin wrote:RyanVM
Nothing went into 2.1.1 which particularly stands out, but it was probably an MS security update. At that point, take it up with them.

You can see the 2.1.1 changelog and access to all the fixes included, so you should be able to figure out exactly what fix broke it rather than spending two months waiting for someone else to do it for you out of the kindness of their heart.
I can't receive all the the hotfixes. In 2.1.1 added 13 fixes, but I have only 9.
Can you answer me, where can i download these fixes:
KB899409, KB921401, KB922128, KB923232
By the way, I was trying to install 9 fixes one behind another and all together, but I received various results each time :(
http://hotfix.xable.net - but I highly doubt one of those 4 is responsible

molenin

Post by molenin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:28 am

Thanks, RyanVM.
No KB922128 Hotfix. I will use KB920875 that Replaced KB922128 Hotfix in last pack.

Xable

Post by Xable » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:54 pm

922128 is in the obsolete section because it is directly replaced by 920875

molenin

Post by molenin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:29 pm

Oh, thanks, Xable

I found it!!! I am very glad :)

WindowsXP-KB921398-x86-ENU.exe
C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll
6.00.2900.2951 (xpsp.060713-0238)

I have no problems with the version of this file 6.00.2900.2869 (xpsp.060316-1523).

How it is important? How it is possible to correct it, not changing a file?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:37 pm

Well, it's an MS security update, so you can take your chances if you want. If I were you, I'd try to get in touch with MS support now that you've pinpointed the source of the problem.

Scratch

Post by Scratch » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:31 am

Sorry

fearisouronlyg0d

Post by fearisouronlyg0d » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:01 pm

I used the last update pack and it installed perfectly. With this one, when it generates the patched files, the directory I specified only contains the I386 directory and the files from the CD's root directory. I went ahead and just copied the other directories over to be safe.

I used ISOBuster to extract the boot image from the original CD, but after I burn it with ImgBurn and reboot, I get an error saying NTDETECT failed... I'm guessing that's an issue with the boot image?

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:10 pm

the behavior that you mention is normal.. the integrator has ALWAYS only copied the minimum needed to patch..
like you did, if you want a complete (with all extra folders that came on original disc) just copy 'em in place manually

as for the boot sector.. the newest versions of the integrator include it already.. no need to extract it with ISObuster.

when using RVMI 1.4.1 or better just make sure that your destination folder is specified on the main tab and specify your resulting ISO name/location on the make ISO tab, once that is done the integrator should be able to make a ISO that works for you (boot and all)

to test the iso made without having to burn it i would recommend using a virtual machine (either MS virtual PC or VMware) mount the iso like a cd and run a install with it.. if it passes then and only then burn it :)

Good luck

TechnoHunter

fearisouronlyg0d

Post by fearisouronlyg0d » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:12 pm

I'll give that a try. Cheers mate.

djallred

MCE2005 - Has anybody tried this? I get missing EULA - arghh!

Post by djallred » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:31 pm

Hopefully there is someone here who has seen this and can reply. I don't know if this is specific to this latest pack, or if it also affects earlier packs.

Now I know that Ryan's official line is that MCE2005 is not supported. But searching the forums seem to indicate that many people have applied the main update packs without issue to the MCE2005 source (and of course the integrator supports MCE sources). SO just using the MCE source, that is all files from CD1 and CD2 copied to a single directory called C:\XPMCE, I use the 1.4.2 integrator to integrate 2.1.2 (or 2.1.2a - gives same result). I then make the iso (I've tried using the internal mkisofs, as well as external tools - same result). Everything looks good, but burning a DVD or trying to boot in VMware, the disc boots, Windows setup starts, but after pressing the enter key once, text-mode setup informs me that it can't find the windows EULA.

But of course it's there in the iso, exactly as it was in the original source. I tried integrating some of the hacked files, thinking there was some kind of signing issue with the EULA, but nothing worked. The exact message is "Setup cannot find the End User Liscensing Agreement.
Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3."

The only other tidbit of info that might matter is that the MCE install come from MSDN, though I don't think that they are at all different from what you would get as an OEM copy.

SO my questions are:
1) Has anybody seen this exact issue (i.e. can somebody besides me reproduce this)?
2) Does anybody know why this is happening / what is the cause?
3) Related to 2), any ideas on how to fix this?
4) Also related to 2), is this an update pack issue or an "MCE not supported by the update pack" thing?

As a last resort, I may go use nLite to see if I get any better results.

Anywho, Ryan rocks! These packs have been awesome for quite some time. Kind of sucks that I'm hitting this roadblock, but I figure there must be some type of solution. If the combined knowledge here can't solve it, then I'll have to dig deeper.

djallred

Re: MCE2005 - Has anybody tried this? I get missing EULA - arghh!

Post by djallred » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:11 am

djallred wrote:Hopefully there is someone here who has seen this and can reply. I don't know if this is specific to this latest pack, or if it also affects earlier packs.

Now I know that Ryan's official line is that MCE2005 is not supported. But searching the forums seem to indicate that many people have applied the main update packs without issue to the MCE2005 source (and of course the integrator supports MCE sources). SO just using the MCE source, that is all files from CD1 and CD2 copied to a single directory called C:\XPMCE, I use the 1.4.2 integrator to integrate 2.1.2 (or 2.1.2a - gives same result). I then make the iso (I've tried using the internal mkisofs, as well as external tools - same result). Everything looks good, but burning a DVD or trying to boot in VMware, the disc boots, Windows setup starts, but after pressing the enter key once, text-mode setup informs me that it can't find the windows EULA.

But of course it's there in the iso, exactly as it was in the original source. I tried integrating some of the hacked files, thinking there was some kind of signing issue with the EULA, but nothing worked. The exact message is "Setup cannot find the End User Liscensing Agreement.
Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3."

The only other tidbit of info that might matter is that the MCE install come from MSDN, though I don't think that they are at all different from what you would get as an OEM copy.

SO my questions are:
1) Has anybody seen this exact issue (i.e. can somebody besides me reproduce this)?
2) Does anybody know why this is happening / what is the cause?
3) Related to 2), any ideas on how to fix this?
4) Also related to 2), is this an update pack issue or an "MCE not supported by the update pack" thing?

As a last resort, I may go use nLite to see if I get any better results.

Anywho, Ryan rocks! These packs have been awesome for quite some time. Kind of sucks that I'm hitting this roadblock, but I figure there must be some type of solution. If the combined knowledge here can't solve it, then I'll have to dig deeper.
I hate replying to myself, but hopefully Ryan, Siginet or others will see this. I spent the past couple hours doing a more thorough Google search and came across one post somewhere about modifying the txtsetup.sif file. The reason I didn't go looking there before is interesting.

The original source for the MCE files are from two ISO files on a MSDN DVD. Extracting the files from the ISOs and placing them in a single directory gave me all the files I needed to make a single bootable MCE DVD. In fact I could use the RVM_Integrator to create an ISO image from these files that worked just fine. After integration however, I got the EULA not found problem. So I assumed that the problem was caused by the update pack or the integrator.

Well, this isn't exactly the case. It turns out that the pre-integration txtsetup.sif has this entry under [SetupData]

SetupSourcePath = "\ENGLISH\WINXP\MCE2005\DISC1"

That obviously isn't right for a bootable disc where everything is in the root of the disc. Yet the ISO made with this txtsetup.sif works great. So clearly this entry, incorrect for an iso file meant to be burnt to a CD or DVD, isn't being parsed correctly by MS's setup routines. It just doesn't see it. After integration of the update pack, the txtsetup.sif file has been altered, particulary in formatting and line breaks and stuff like that. But the entry for SetupSourcePath is still the same as above. NOW, though, this entry in txtsetup.sif IS being parsed correctly (much to my chagrin). As a result, the textmode setup looks in the wrong place for the EULA file (which is the first file it looks for) and then craps out when it's not there.

This is primarily a problem with Microsoft and what they handed out over MSDN, and also with how there own txtsetup.sif is parsed and handled. BUT, the integrator could solve this stupid issue by simply forcing the txtsetup.sif entry for SetupSourcePath to read as follows

SetupSourcePath = ""

instead of keeping whatever value was there in the pre-integration txtsetup.sif. At the least there could be an option under the advanced menu to handle this issue, so semi-noobs like me don't have to worry about things like this in the future.

This was extremely frustrating for me to deal with and I'm kind of ticked that it was an MS issue all along, and that I was lead astray by the fact that the original txtsetup.sif worked, even though it shouldn't have, simply because the parsing of the txtsetup.sif file is so broken. If the integrator is going to reformat the txtsetup.sif file, however, this is one suggestion to make sure the output is correct for a single OS CD or DVD. Again maybe it could be an advanced option for people who might make a multi-OS boot disk to specify their own SetupSourcePath, but the default should be simply "".

Hoping all this helps someone else :)

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:34 am

could also have been caused by "optimizing" the disc.. ie the exact same file in two locations on the disc, and you just happened to have made a disc that didnt duplicate the entry in the file tables correctly to point to the file as needed.. (shooting from the hip here) as a test look in that folder you mentioned (in the copied source) and see if the EULA is in fact there :)

TechnoHunter

djallred

Post by djallred » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:29 am

TechnoHunter wrote:could also have been caused by "optimizing" the disc.. ie the exact same file in two locations on the disc, and you just happened to have made a disc that didnt duplicate the entry in the file tables correctly to point to the file as needed.. (shooting from the hip here) as a test look in that folder you mentioned (in the copied source) and see if the EULA is in fact there :)

TechnoHunter
Well that directory simply doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure I know how the ISO that MS provided got the way it did. With the MSDN subscription, you get all the Windows OS's on one DVD in ISO form. With those ISO's you should be able to make CD's of the Windows discs and use them for installation. They also provide another DVD, a bootable one that is essentially a multi-OS installation disc, allowing you to install any of the OS's there. On that disc, the location of the MCE disc1 install files is in fact \ENGLISH\WINXP\MCE2005\DISC1\. So it would seem in those circumstances that would be the correct source path to install MCE2005 from.

What some dodo at MSDN must have done is simply take those files in that directory and create a bootable ISO image out of it, leaving the txtsetup.sif file as it was. But taking that directory and moving it from that location on the multi-OS DVD to the root of an ISO CD should have necessitated the change to the txtsetup.sif. But they didn't do that. They probably burnt the images to test them and found them to work and left it at that. Heck they worked for me, until I applied the integration and the flaw only then became apparent. Now I don't really know why moving stuff around, changing line spaces, or whatever affects the txtsetup.sif so much, but I remember reading on MSFN that it IS sensitive. Maybe someone has more knowledge of that. Maybe it's the ordering of entries in that section of the file. I don't know. But I figure if the txtsetup.sif file is touched so heavily by the integration process, maybe a quick check on the value of SetupSourcePath would be very easy to add.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:35 pm

ah, i stand corrected :) maybe this last series of posted should be summarized and listed in a "how to use with MCE" topic and listed in the tutorials thread for now? might help someone else till/if it gets changed for later versions of the integrator

laters,

TechnoHunter

krash56

Update error problem

Post by krash56 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:32 pm

I have tried about twelve times now to use this new update. I was using nLite so I thought that was my problem but this last time all I did was integrate the pack with RVM Integrator v1.4.2 and did nothing else, no addons, I even downloaded the new updated full RVMUpdatePack2.1.2a.7z from the torrent. I get the following error message, XP copies all the files, ask which partition I want to install to, copies the setup files, the computer reboots, chkdsk checks the drive, reboots and just before xp starts to install everything the following error pops up and everything comes to a halt.

Stop C0000269 {illegal system dll relocation} The system dll user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the dll c:\windows\system32\ntdll.dll occupied an address range reserved for windows system dlls. The vendor supplying the dll should %S %S

This is the first update pack I have had any problems with. Can you help me or suggest what might be going wrong.

I have a AMD Sympron 3100+ 1.81GHZ 640 megs of memory.

krash

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 pm

The file NTDLL.DLL may be corrupt. This should not be Update Pack related because that file is not included. You may want to copy it fresh from an unaltered SP2 source.

The hash for NTDLL.DLL should match this:

MD5: BB5CBFFC096497506167BCE1D9690EF2

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Could be a bad burn too. Have you tried the ISO in VirtualPC?

krash56

Post by krash56 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:59 pm

I don't have virtualpc but will get it and I will try a fresh dll file, thanks to both of you. Will try both suggestions.

krash

krash56

Post by krash56 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:20 am

Okay, first, thank you so much for introducing me to Virtual PC it is a God send, it makes this so much easier. Second I started with a clean Windows XP with fresh files, installed it, everything went fine. So I then integrated RVMUpdatePack2.1.2a.7z with RVMIntegrator v1.4.2 and I get the same error message as before. It has to be something in the Update Pack. Any other suggestions?

Krash

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:45 am

It could be an issue with a hotfix itself, but if that's the case, it's more MS' problem than mine since all I'm doing in this whole process is just putting them on the CD :P. I'm not the one patching the files. Even earlier in this thread, someone figured out that one of the MS security updates had broken a piece of software they use.

If you're really feeling motivated, you can try integrating the fixes in 2.1.2 one at a time (using the /integrate switch) until you find the bad one (yes, VPC is a godsend :P). The changelog is here. The fixes can all be downloaded direct from MS or from Xable's Share.

And how is chkdsk checking the drive? I've never seen that during XP setup myself...

pawan

Post by pawan » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:26 am

RyanVM wrote:And how is chkdsk checking the drive? I've never seen that during XP setup myself...
This behaviour is due to third party partition manager, the update pack is working just fine here without any problem.

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:12 am

@Ryan: Last night I downloaded msxml2.msi, and I noticed that it includes msxml2r.dll 8.30.9530.0, a newer version than what's on the XP CD. Would you be ableto include this file in your next update pack?

the_guy

krash56

Post by krash56 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:10 pm

Okay, thanks. Will try that. Yes, XP checks the disk because I format before I install the OS.

Thanks all.

krash

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 pm

Hi RyanVM,

Was just wondering if you would consider placing KB924941- Timing issues_race conditions_Bluetooth devices_via USB-in your next update pack? I have the particulars and patch etc. should you want them but, it is freely downloadable from MS downloads.

Thanks

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:11 am

As I've said before, if a patch is officially released by MS, it will be included in the pack.

RickSteele

Post by RickSteele » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:21 am

Yes, I'm aware of your policy on this, and a good one it is. I was just wandering if, perhaps, you were not aware of this one is all.
Thanks very much for the reply and your update packs work extremely well for me.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:32 am

If it's been publicly released, odds are extremely good I'm aware of it ;)

biatche
I can't read

Post by biatche » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:00 pm

Egenius

Post by Egenius » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:11 pm

Dear RyanVM!
After I upgrade my cd whith you Update pack, and add WMP10 addon, I can't install MUI in unattended mode. When I try install MUI whithout command line options , I see this message :"Unable to install Language Group files for one or more selected menus and dialogs languages.
Please quit Regional and Language Options if it is runing." I install MUI from cmdlines.txt whith this string:
".\MUI\muisetup.exe /i 0419 /d 0419 /l /f /r /s"

And, please, ask me in which moment your addons installs, because I can't install WMP10 MUI package. System tell me that WMP10 is not installed.
Please help me ! What I do wrong ?

Sorry for my English.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:40 pm

the_guy

Post by the_guy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:54 pm

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 pm

Guys, I'm well aware of it. Yeesh

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:41 pm