Next Packs will be Must-Have ! See Why :

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
bestofcomputer

Post by bestofcomputer » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:57 am

MS is releasing not less than 11 patchs on 10/10/06 !!!
So the next Pack will be important, as well as it will include the revisions from the version 2.1.2a, like the IE security fix from late september, and the last malicious removal tool from october !
And the November (or maybe the December) Pack could be pretty also, because it would come after the launch of Vista Final Release, which could mean, that some of the last Vista Bugs, may have also been integrated for XPSP2, if it is also affected !...
Therefore, in order to end the year in beauty, I propose from December 2006, or even January 2007 First, a new naming for this Pack :
"Unofficial Windows XP Service Pack 3" !
What do you think ?...
BTW : Long life to this Pack !
Thanks.
Bye.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:15 am

IE7 Will go Final and also be available via microsoft update this month http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/1 ... 3F00_.aspx
Last edited by ricktendo64 on Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:18 am

ricktendo64 wrote:IE7 Will go Final and also be available via microsoft update this month also http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/1 ... 3F00_.aspx
Thanx man, this is an attractive news. do you know anything about media player 11 release date?

larciel

Post by larciel » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:10 am

every release is a must-have. I know where Ryan's tip-jar is if you need direction ;)

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:26 am

MrNxDmx wrote:do you know anything about media player 11 release date?
I think its gonna go Final either A Bit Before or After the release of Vista, hopefully Windows Defender Will also go Final after the Vista Release.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:32 pm

Thanx for the info Rick.

XIII

Re: Next Packs will be Must-Have ! See Why :

Post by XIII » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:57 pm

bestofcomputer wrote:Therefore, in order to end the year in beauty, I propose from December 2006, or even January 2007 First, a new naming for this Pack: "Unofficial Windows XP Service Pack 3" !
What do you think ?...
Bad idea: there already exists a somewhat controversial pack with this name, as you can read here.

Personally I don't think the name needs to be changed at all; it's a strong brand name as it is...

Not that it really matters what we think on this subject anyway; it's Ryan's pack and if he's happy with a certain name, so should we...
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!

XIII

Re: Next Packs will be Must-Have ! See Why :

Post by XIII » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:03 pm

bestofcomputer wrote:And the November (or maybe the December) Pack could be pretty also, because it would come after the launch of Vista Final Release, which could mean, that some of the last Vista Bugs, may have also been integrated for XPSP2, if it is also affected !...
Anyone any thoughts about this?

Is the codebase of XP and Vista that similar that it would be easy to backport solutions?

And would they? They are solving hundreds of bugs in Vista (there are also still hundreds open I've heard - rumour has it they are allowed to release once the number of open bugs drops below 500), while they only release a few fixes for XP per month.

I wouldn't be surprised if M$ wants us to migrate to Vista a soon as possible...
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:42 pm

XIII wrote:rumour has it they are allowed to release once the number of open bugs drops below 500
I've read that as well. Keep in mind also that that figure does not include bugs for parts of the OS not related to the Business Editions like Media Center. Hence, the additional time required before consumer release.

In my opinion, MS will not backport fixes for Vista in the following couple months for two reasons. One is the fact that many of the bugs aren't related in any way to XP. The other is that much of the codebase is massively different. I believe we'll see many Vista-influenced upgrades to XP in Service Pack 3; not before. IE7 and WMP11 notwithstanding.

Also, with no recent news on Microsoft's progress toward SP3, I believe XP users will be waiting at least a year before seeing any beta versions of the next Service Pack. If users want fixes sooner then I'm sure they'll be encouraged by Microsoft to buy Vista after it's released.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm still of the mindset that I'll believe that they will make SP3 once it's released. Having been boned with NT4 and 2K, I'm a tad skeptical.

If SP3 is released, I'm convinced that Microsoft's primary motivation for doing so will be to directly integrate Vista style WGA into the OS. Sure DirectX 10 won't make it, but all that is annoying will.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:48 am

Givwen the fact that DX-X hardware and software support for it are still a long way off, even the most enthusiast gamer can safely hold off on migration.

On a personal opinion note, I highly doubt the explinations for why DX-X will not be back-portable to XP. User Mode Driver Framework is establishable under XP and I'm sure that (unless they deliberately hinder or harm the underpinnings) the other backbone essentials are also portable to operate in XP.

Rather than put my foot in my mouth though, I am (like everyone else) just going to have to wait and see. I still remember that DX-8 was supposed to be the last "98" capable DX.

And I think I'd rather work with a cumulative update pack like Ryan's/Xables/Boooggy's rather than deal with surgically altering SP3 so that it doesn't emasculate my hardware. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:22 pm

Lot of MSXML fixes this month...
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:22 pm

Microsoft is having trouble getting them into MU. :lol:

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6124447.html

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:31 pm

I don't see the MSXML fixes on MU yet, but everything else appears to be there.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:06 pm

The download-them-all for OS only (not office or MSIE, etc) iso is available (475 Mb):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:11 pm

I only see this one: KB924191: Vulnerabilities in Microsoft XML Core Services could allow remote code execution as it goes for MSXML. Which other ones are you referring to Ryan?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:18 pm

They released fixes for MSXML4, MSXML5 (via Office2003 update), and MSXML6 as well

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:00 pm

Looks as though everything is (finally) available through WU.

It doesn't look as if MSIE 7 is part of todays payload.

MS has ack'd a problem with a single, critial fix and has not released it. There are also bandwidth problems with the primary and geographic-seconday d/l sites.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:25 pm

Give IE7 another week to release as final. Two weeks after that it will be pushed through Automatic Updates/WU/MU.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:44 pm

newsposter wrote:MS has ack'd a problem with a single, critial fix and has not released it.
Where'd you hear that? Seems to me that they released everything they said they were going to last week.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:19 pm

This article was highlighted on [H]ard|OCP:

c|net News.com - Microsoft struggles with patch
Microsoft had said last week to expect 11 patches. However, a representative for the software maker said on Tuesday that a planned critical Windows patch "did not meet the quality bar" and so was not issued.

Link

Post by Link » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:41 pm

[q]Rather than put my foot in my mouth though, I am (like everyone else) just going to have to wait and see. I still remember that DX-8 was supposed to be the last "98" capable DX. [/q]

It should have been the last 98 capable DX because Windows 98/ME were pieces of crap. Now, if DX 8 was the last Win2K capable DirectX, then it would have been totally different as Windows 2000 was a very good OS and deserved to have the latest DirectX updates for a liong time.

DirectX 9 should have been Windows 2000/XP/2003 only. Now DX 10 should support Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP1 and not be restricted to Vista only because Widnows XP and Widnows Server 2003 are up to date enough and still good opertaing systems.

bestofcomputer

Post by bestofcomputer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:47 am

I have seen DX 9.0c October Edition been delivered as an add-on now here ?...
But, in the past, wasn'it integrated inside the Pack itself ?...
Why this change ?
And what about the soon Finals of :
- IE 7
- MP 11
- Defender
Will they be integrated in the Pack or as add-ons only ?
Actually, I only mind about DX, coz it is not a problem for the use of Windows, and it does not take so much space !...
But I have read many pbs of compatibility when IE 7 Final is installed, and it breaks other classical apps, so maybe an add-on would be better...
But in the same time, MS is advising upgrading to IE 7 for improved secirity !!!??
And in the same time, we already see a couple of security issues with IE 7 Final, alongside with security patchs, so, these patchs for IE 7 : shouldnt they be integrated into the Pack itself, alongside with regular patchs for IE 60SP2 also ?
But then, if the Pack comes with patchs for IE 7, IE 7 itself shouldnt be inside the Pack ? There I am scepticle... What do you think ?
And for MP 11, I understand the concerns about the new DRMs, so it could be an addon as well, even though I am not sure...
And for Defender, well, an add-on would do the job, even it is not a problem if it comes pre-installed with Windows XPSP2...
BTW : SP3 for WinXP has been annouced officially by MS for mid-2008 !
So, you see it is coming, at last !
But so long to wait, that the Pack is our only way to do that !...
Thanks.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:54 pm

have seen DX 9.0c October Edition been delivered as an add-on now here ?...
But, in the past, wasn'it integrated inside the Pack itself ?...
Yes, so? :) It changed because not everybody needs/wants it, Ryan leaves the choice to the user now, same with the seperated WGA addon. The integration stays the same.

IE7 will be in the next pack. WMP11 will go in the current WMP10 addon as soon as it's final. I don't know about Defender, but I guess if it will appear under Critical Updates one day, Ryan will decide to put it in his pack / make an addon for it.

Thank you for reporting about XP SP3, you are number 42. ;)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:30 pm

err, I never said IE7 would be in the next pack...

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Hmm,

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36625#36625

does a little imply that you do...

But then again, in this post:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37111#37111

you are talking about an addon indeed.

But afaik is MS releasing IE7 as a critical update one of these days? That would imply including it in the pack. Maybe I'm mistaken about the critical update part. :)

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:38 pm

RyanVM wrote:err, I never said IE7 would be in the next pack...
Oh No... :cry:

But You should try to do it... :)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Well mindcurd, IF it's not a critical update (in the future), there are no guarantees about inclusion, and it might even be better to release it as addon, since it's most likely that not everybody wants to have it by default.

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:54 pm

Quite true, ViVa. In fact, I remove IE by default. :)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:56 pm

Personally I keep it just for MU. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:13 pm

ViVa wrote:Hmm,

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36625#36625

does a little imply that you do...
So uh, how does
I'm not planning on adding IE7 for a few months. I'll do an addon first.
(my emphasis added) imply that on a post I made less than two weeks ago?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:05 pm

What post are you talking about? Besides, I figured since you said the magic word "first", that would imply that eventually IE7 would be included in the pack itself. I guess not (or whatever). For all I care it will become and stay an addon, personally I would rather have it like that anyway.

bestofcomputer

Post by bestofcomputer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:39 am

MS said IE7 will be pushed as a Windows Update on 01/11/06.
Is it a critical update ? MS seems to show it that way, despite it is maybe not flagged as an official critical one...
So ?...
Well, I agree with an addon for IE7 until everybody ensure there is no pbs, and then later, maybe into the pack ?
But suppose it is an addon, then this one should also be updated as soon as security patches comes for IE7, so that the addon includes all future security patches for IE7, like does the addon for .NET 1.1, etc..., no ?
MP11 replacing MP10 addon : no pb...
Defender has not been anounced to be pushed by MS, so addon or pack, we'll see later also ?...
DX is an addon now ? well, why not, that's ok...
Actually, I was thinking that the pack would turn soon into a "Pre-SP3", as soon as it would include the finals of :
- IE7
- MP 11
- Defender
- .NET 3.0
- PowerShell
- etc...
So, that's why I openned this thread...
But, if you delay integrations, or prefer everything as addons, it would not be a real "Pre-SP3"...
Anyway, it will still be a great pack (with great addons !!!) !!!...
BTW : is there anywhere an addon including the latest certified unified video drivers from ATI + NVIDIA (and maybe Intel, S3/VIA...) ?
Oh : I have tried the link about "unofficial windows xp sp3" : it seems necessary to register there, and then to pay $3 to be allowed to download anything... weird, coz, there is no such a thing at MSFN ! Viva MSFN !!!
Thanks.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:29 am

RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack

This pack is designed to bring a Windows XP CD with SP2 integrated fully up to date with all of the latest hotfixes released by Microsoft since SP2's release. It accomplishes this task via direct integration, where files on the CD are directly overwritten by the updated files. This method has numerous advantages over other integration techniques:

1. Since the files are being directly overwritten on the CD, there is no period of vulnerability between when the files are copied to the hard drive and the hotfixes are run. This guarantees maximum stability and security.
2. All necessary registry entries needed by Windows Update, QFECheck, and Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer are imported during Windows setup, meaning that the integration is transparent to Windows.
3. Security Catalogs necessary for Windows File Protection to recognize the updated files as digitally signed are installed, once again ensuring maximum transparency to Windows.
4. Since the updated files are being directly overwritten on the CD, this pack has the minimum possible amount of overhead associated with integrating hotfixes in comparison to other methods - both in space used on the CD and in Windows installation time.
5. This pack works regardless of whether or not the Windows installation is unattended.
You can't really compare it with other packs, Ryan is the only one really integrating.

For you drivers, try this: http://www.driverpacks.net/ ;)

ksec

Post by ksec » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:06 am

I thought .Net 3.0 is only available on Vista? ( a.k.a what they used to call WinFX )
Well IE7 and Windows Defender is out now. WMP11 will be out in a few days as well. No idea about PowerShell and .Net 3.0

Sounds very Vista like to me :D
May be someone else could put all these into a pack? Or Ryan Branch off with a version 3.0?

Oh.. and Window Live Mail desktop replacing Outlook Express :D

Just Dreaming btw :P

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:26 am

Exactly how much free time do you think I've got?

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:36 am

removed

bestofcomputer

Post by bestofcomputer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:03 am

Defender is out ? Oh yes ! Thanks !!!
But it integrates a WGA check at install and at operating ! Arrgh ! How to integrate it and make it work without the WGA check, I dont know ?...
As for .NET 3.0 RC1 : it supports WinXPSP2, so the final should do also (see microsoft website) ?
MS has said PowerShell would be available for XPSP2 also, but no idea about release date...
And, Yeah : a new pack with all of this, in a Vista-Like Shift-Upgrade, would be nice, really, no ?
But your're the only master of your time, and we'll wait, no pb...
BTW : great link for Drivers Packs of any kind ! Its amazing : now I can see how to build a best ISO : RyanVM pack + some addons + maybe-Vista-Like-Upgrade + nLite + Drivers Packs + ISO : done ! Great Job !
Thanks.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:16 am

bestofcomputer, do you have a legit OS with a legit license key?

If so, your objections (and everyone elses really) to WGA are so much pissing in the wind. A workaround of WGA today probably will not work tomorrow. MSFT is determined to make WGA as bullet and hacker proof as they can so you may as well get used to it.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:30 pm

Well I for one am not going down without a fight. XP will be the last OS that I use. When I buy my new laptop in the spring, I'll give Vista a whirl to see if I can stomach it any better than I could Beta 2, but in all honesty I will probably downgrade to XP.

I spent in excess of $50,000 of my own or other people's money on Windows XP alone. Significantly more than that on MS Office. They'll be fortunate to get another nickle out of me, my employer, or any of my clients. I figure XP and 2003 Server will serviceable for at least the next 5 to 7 years. In that period of time I plan doing whatever is necessary to come up with a Linux solution that is easily deployed and requires a minimum of retraining for users.

I've already converted all of my sites to OOo and dropped MS Office. Nobody has missed a beat and some people have commented on how they like the PDF export feature.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:53 pm

I'm also thinking of moving to Linux down the road once XP outlives its usefulness, but we'll see what happens when the time comes.

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:22 pm

You can do just about anything you need on linux with OOo and other tools.

The 'just about anything' problem includes high-end graphics editing and gameing. Wine is only a partial solution as is VMWare because games lose a lot of performance under emulation/virtualization and the high-end graphics packages need almost as much video performance as games do.