RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.3 - Released October 14, 2006

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:22 pm

ViVa wrote:Guys, if we look into the past we see that Ryan almost always releases a new pack within 1-7 days after Microsoft's patch Tuesday. Right now we are 3-4 days further, so what would be your guess on an ETA? Right. Be patient, it's coming.
No way is he going to accomplish all that work in a few days time. He might get the main update pack out soon but there won't be any IE7 and WMP11 for quite a while.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:27 pm

Who was talking about those addons? I believe this thread is about the Update Pack. :)

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:21 am

The update pack is pointless without IE7. It's like ok let's integrate the update pack so I install windows xp and don't have to download any updates. Wait, what's this? A 15mb update? Great...

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:40 am

As long as IE7 continues to break apps I don't see why it needs to be in such a stable smooth update pack.

We need to be very carefull with IE7 in the next couple of months...

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:57 am

lol, i agree Kel.. and for the post above ya.. all it takes is a simple reg entry to move the "critical" high priority update of IE7 to an optional .. even people IN microsofts labs HATE ie7... cause the bleeding thing crashes.. doesnt work right.. breaks apps.. heck i myself had one customer that installed it from the microsoft update site and tried (note the word tried) to set her homepage.. man is that a joke.. the idiot thing is quite happy to ADD a "homepage" tab.. but you STILL have to keep the msn start page you got dealt.. it wont let her erase/change the startpage.. great job there microsoft! keep up the good work [/end rant]

soo, back on topic... i personally could care less if IE7 EVER gets in the update pack so thats my .02 cents worth..

Keep up the good work Ryan, dont rush things if you dont need to! (pack wise that is)

TechnoHunter

Nightwolf81

Post by Nightwolf81 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:16 am

I don't get the pack so all the microsoft updates are done. . . I get it because it's got the little extras changed (attention to the minor details) and because yeh I spose cause all the microsoft Flaws are patched up (I've known RyanVM to leave in an old dll and update the reg so it never get put on (but microsoft eventually updated the file and so did ryanVM). . . He knows whats stable (I don't know how he tests his pack so well before release). . . He must do a Virtual Machine install at least 5 - 6 Times before all the niggles are gone (and he must be sick of looking at that boring Microsoft Update site. . . to make sure he got them all)!!

I do about 2 - 3 Installs (almost every day) to make sure my LastXP is of the standered I want (and I update the apps whenever they are released) I just keep tweaking and changing and building packs (or modifying yours) and finding problems with updates that cause explorer crashes and going back to older version etc! I only burn a DVD with latest when I am off to do an install (or when I take a trip to my family/friends I'll run of a copy for them)!

It's really become my life style now and I do feel bad for ryanVM with the sudden outburst some people have towards him when something goes wrong. . . and usually it's the individuals mistake anyway!!

People I see in this forum are appearing all over the places I visit everyday and I've learned who the best are but still occasionally someone new comes along with a good Idea and changes the way I/We do somthing!

. . . . Ahem . . . OK enough with the short novel (no one will read the whole thing now. . . Idiot)!

Tick tock!

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:31 am

HEY! I read the whole thing!

Can I get my 2 minutes back? LOL j/k

Mavericks choice

Post by Mavericks choice » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:58 am

Cmon man ya gotta get a life there too short to be worrying bout puters all day..

Also Kel off topic btw tho eagerly await 5.6 tomorrow.

Cheers
MC.
The Man from Aus

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:48 pm

TechnoHunter wrote:lol, i agree Kel.. and for the post above ya.. all it takes is a simple reg entry to move the "critical" high priority update of IE7 to an optional .. even people IN microsofts labs HATE ie7... cause the bleeding thing crashes.. doesnt work right.. breaks apps.. heck i myself had one customer that installed it from the microsoft update site and tried (note the word tried) to set her homepage.. man is that a joke.. the idiot thing is quite happy to ADD a "homepage" tab.. but you STILL have to keep the msn start page you got dealt.. it wont let her erase/change the startpage.. great job there microsoft! keep up the good work [/end rant]

soo, back on topic... i personally could care less if IE7 EVER gets in the update pack so thats my .02 cents worth..

Keep up the good work Ryan, dont rush things if you dont need to! (pack wise that is)

TechnoHunter
So? You want to talk about crashing, I've never had IE7 crash on me once yet. When I use IE6 I have it crash on me all the time. Does IE7 have it's problems? Sure, you could argue that.
But it's still like 10 times better than IE6, using IE7 now I realize just how huge of an improvement it is and how crappy IE6 is looking back on it.

As far as the app-breaking. What? All two of them? Big deal, make the IE7 addon for the thousands of us that want it and for those few of you that have a problem then don't use it, not that difficult.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:19 pm

Protagonist. wrote:So? You want to talk about crashing, I've never had IE7 crash on me once yet. When I use IE6 I have it crash on me all the time. Does IE7 have it's problems? Sure, you could argue that.
But it's still like 10 times better than IE6, using IE7 now I realize just how huge of an improvement it is and how crappy IE6 is looking back on it.

As far as the app-breaking. What? All two of them? Big deal, make the IE7 addon for the thousands of us that want it and for those few of you that have a problem then don't use it, not that difficult.

and i will use your post to prove my point.. you said to make an IE7 ADDON

NOT to put it in the updatepack :)

i agree with that.. make an addon.. heck make 10 :) just dont force us to use IE7 by including it in the updatepack YET :)
..see Ryans post above 'bout adding it when it gets more of the bugs (sorry "features") worked out :)

have fun all

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:07 pm

I already posted in the addon forum asking for someone to create an addon. I realize that ryan won't have an IE7 addon done anytime soon so I'm hoping that someone else will make one.

bushhog

Post by bushhog » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:40 am

I have to agree with technohunter. I would prefer that IE7 not be included update pack. I don't care for it. An addon for those who want it would be much better.
Please forgive my stupidity...I'm just trying to make sense of it all

keloo05

Post by keloo05 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:39 am

Let's wait to see what Ryan decides. He is the boss here, not us :D

Sesshoumaru

Post by Sesshoumaru » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:11 pm

i use ie7 but i integrate it with nlite, i dont see it as a hotfix that needs to be in this pack.

by the way, there is a newsletter, i think its more efective to subscribe to it and wait for the e-mail than refreshing this site XD

pd: my dieing windows that didnt get a format for 2.12 or 2.13 is begging for this release tho :p

EaglePC

Post by EaglePC » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:02 pm

Well IE7,WMP11 stink to me,my start button lags programs take a long time to close+ some of my apps are broke.

my system
M2N32SLI Deluse Wireless
AMD64 X2 4200+
2 GIG Cosair XMS6400C
EVGA 8800 GTX
5 x WD 750GIG RAID 10.

Ryan Away Still?
Think the update pack will be release for NOV 06
TY Ryan ,Update Packs saves hours of time :x :D :x :D

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:59 pm

Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357