IE7 note

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Fox2

IE7 note

Post by Fox2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:25 pm

Given some people have asked for IE7 integrated, I think its worth noting that IE7 breaks some software. Trillian's MSN at present, for example, for those who use it, and possibly other stuff.

So I'm happy to see it be an add-on version as Ryan says, for the time being. Those who want it can have it, but IE7 is a bit of a change in some ways, and those who need to keep IE6 can easily do so.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:56 pm

What are you talking about? I use Trillian and IE7 hasn't broken it at all.

Can you provide some links to show us these other "apps" you refer too?

Fox2

Post by Fox2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:08 pm

The MSN module for trill 3.1 pro wasnt working with the IE7 betas. There were reports that it wouldnt work with the final either. This was covered on trill-related forums, and I had to roll back to IE6 to get trill to work with MSN messenger. Although that is the only program I used that had trouble with it, other reports I heard at that time suggest that in some cases other programs needed updates or rewrites to work with IE7. Again I dont know the details, but if such programs exist then there will of course be users who have older versions. Apparently the problem with Trill-MSN and IE7 was due to some change in how Windows messenger or some DLLs were integrated. I'm not sure, since I was after a fix, not an analysis of the problem at the time. Someone on one or other of the forums said that they don't work together, and when I rolled back to IE6 it solved the problem. Maybe thats no longer an issue now. Maybe Cerulean have released an MSN module update or IE7 final doesnt have the same issue. I'm not sure. But either way it sounds like IE7 is better for the time being as an addon, if there might be programs out there which rely on some aspect of IE6 that changed in IE7.

Sample links on the beta:
http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/trill ... -apps.html
http://arstechnica.com/journals/microso ... 05/8/1/847
("BetaNews is reporting that IE7 beta 1 breaks Trillian, Gaim, and IM2 while signing into MSN Messenger. The apparent cause is a new version of wininet.dll...")
http://forevergeek.com/windows/ie7_beta ... g_apps.php
("Trillian, a popular multi-network IM client, Gaim and IM2 all spit out error messages when loaded alongside IE7, and the only fix is to uninstall...")

It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect that some other programs are also affected, and that that isn't the only change, and if so it's sensible to keep IE7 an addon for the time being, as ryan's doing. That's all I was saying.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:13 pm

Thank you very much for being so informative in your second post I definaltly have some reading to do!

underdone

Post by underdone » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:45 pm

I'm using IE7 and Trillian Pro on my computer. and the MSN side has been working fine for me. And there haven't been any updates to Trillian for quite some time now. Unless they somehow rolled it out silently.

SHO_GuN

Post by SHO_GuN » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:33 pm

underdone wrote:I'm using IE7 and Trillian Pro on my computer. and the MSN side has been working fine for me..
Ditto for me, except for no longer being able to login to hotmail with only one click, but that isn't an IE7 issue, that is with any browser.

However, after reading the links Fox2 posted, two of them say "after logging into MSN and AOL" - I don't use the AOL feature so that would explain no problems here.

underdone wrote:And there haven't been any updates to Trillian for quite some time now. Unless they somehow rolled it out silently.
I have never made a negative post anywhere before but here goes my first one .... it is a fact that they haven't released any updates for quite some time, they won't even officially comment on the matters. Instead, they have a couple of "board pets" constantly jumping into threads about problems in their defense citing that they are too busy working on a new project.

This project is Trillian 4. So their bottom line seems to be "Screw everyone who has paid us in the past - our sole concern is to get more money from those who don't know we don't support our existing releases". They also renegged on the promise of lifetime subscriptions to those of us who donated when Trillian was freeware. I think if Ryan can put out his update packs in the seriously timely fashion that he does for nothing but donations, that a commercial software developer damn sure should be able to release ONE updated .dll before two months elapse.

I'm sure this will break their hearts and cripple them financially lol, but this is one person who's money they will see no more of!

underdone

Post by underdone » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:03 am

Ditto for me, except for no longer being able to login to hotmail with only one click, but that isn't an IE7 issue, that is with any browser.
Yeah that one has been driving me crazy for a long time.
However, after reading the links Fox2 posted, two of them say "after logging into MSN and AOL" - I don't use the AOL feature so that would explain no problems here.
I'm using the AOL feature and have had no problems.
This project is Trillian 4. So their bottom line seems to be "Screw everyone who has paid us in the past - our sole concern is to get more money from those who don't know we don't support our existing releases".
This sounds like something that happened recently, SP3 anyone?

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:05 am

SAP, Siebel On-demand, Lawson Hosted, Lotus Domino, installers for Oracle and DB2, lots and lots of J2EE stuff.

Oh, and any 'service' that uses that software. Like of banks and investment houses.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:34 am

No regrets here moving from Trillian to Gaim way back when.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Chrysalis

Post by Chrysalis » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:31 am

Please dont include IE7 in the ryanvm pack mainly because it isnt fully compatible yet for example my routers gui page only works with IE6 doesnt work with opera/firefox and IE7. It also isnt a critical update.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:09 am

This is a bit off topic, but I'm curious as to what router does not work with anything other than IE6. People are always asking which one to buy, etc. and this would seem like a downside to a particular model.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:11 pm

RogueSpear wrote:This is a bit off topic, but I'm curious as to what router does not work with anything other than IE6. People are always asking which one to buy, etc. and this would seem like a downside to a particular model.
I can't report on what doesn't work...yet, but I can report on what does work. IE 7 works fine for configuring my NetGear RP614v2.

Boony

Post by Boony » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:17 pm

Being a web developer, I think IE7 should remain as an add-on for now.

Although I now use it and have older versions of IE as standalones to check layout etc, not all developers would want to do this.

Cheers

Mark
PS I must say it would make my life a lot easier if all IE uses move to IE7 :)

Firefrorefiddle

Post by Firefrorefiddle » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm

personally i hardly ever use ie, ie7's nice and all but it does have some serious issues. only time i ever use it is when i had to drop classes or use suntrusts website. and now i don't even need it to add/drop anymore since we switched to the new system.

as for the router questions, it's basically activex controls that determine if a browser is useable on that site or not. the particular router Chrysalis is talking about, most likely uses those controls, instead of more friendly features. the one good thing MS ever did was not license activex. lol

zaqxsw

Post by zaqxsw » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:27 pm

My only complaint so far with IE7 is the dern back button. You have to click it twice on about half of the pages.

I'd like to see it available as an option to integrate.

Thanks for all of the work that goes into Ryan VM!

m-p{3}

Post by m-p{3} » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:12 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:What are you talking about? I use Trillian and IE7 hasn't broken it at all.

Can you provide some links to show us these other "apps" you refer too?
Steam for SteamPowered.com heavily rely on IE6, but they are updating the software to fix the problems related to IE7, it should only be a matter of time.

A problem is the use of IE7 in Windows XP Pro + MUI. The MUI seems to not apply anymore when you install IE7 and the language is falling back to english.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:18 pm

Just so all you guys know, I haven't even had time to work on an IE7 addon yet at this point (I'm not kidding when I say that real life has been extremely busy for the last couple months), and like I've already said a few times, I'm not going to even consider adding it to the main pack until the addon has had time to bake and I'm sure all the bugs have been worked out, which will probably be a span of a couple months as well. So don't get your panties in a twist, it's going to be awhile before IE7 has any chance of being in the Update Pack ;)

Firefrorefiddle

Post by Firefrorefiddle » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:26 pm

that's good, cause ie 7 has given me nothing but headaches with my finance software. broke all the auto updates, and the in program info load tools are broken too, extremely annoying. oh well.
honestly i wonder what MS does with its software. others don't release such sloppy code, and the release cycles aren't anywhere near as complicated or long. ah well, enough ranting.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:06 pm

I wouldn't blame MS for your financial software not being updated when IE7 was in beta for like 6 months prior to release.

anand

Post by anand » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:41 am

My finance software's auto update broke too when I installed IE7... The finance software I was using? MS Money 2007 :P Seems the different product groups within Microsoft didn't communicate with each other as well as they should have.

I uninstalled IE7, let MS Money 2007 autoupdate, then reinstalled IE7 and so far so good. MS Money 2007 doesn't seem to have any problems with autoupdate now. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, autoupdate is the only way to update MS Money 2007 (I couldn't find any manual downloads to do it).

Sanjay
I can't read

Post by Sanjay » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:30 am

I use MS Money 2007 and also have IE7 installed but strangely I had no problem with the autoupdate. Microsoft has acknowledged a bug that causes Money 2007 to crash when updating while running IE7. Trust Microsoft to have the fix be a part of SP1and then make SP1 only available thru the autoupdate. In other words the only way to get the fix to the problem would be to first uninstall IE7 and then update Money 2007 before reinstalling IE7. It would be a lot simpler if they were to just make SP1 available as an independent download. For more info on this, go to: --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927811
Microsoft suggested workaround to the problem:

Code: Select all

Issue:
Crash occurs when updating Money 2007 when you run Windows Internet Explorer 7. 

To resolve this issue:
Select to have Windows Internet Explorer 7 automatically detect proxy settings.

anand

Post by anand » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:01 pm

I saw that workaround on another page but for some reason it didn't work for me. Money still crashed.

Hopefully, new retail copies of Money 2007 already have that service pack built in.

roirraWedorehT

Post by roirraWedorehT » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:46 am

RyanVM wrote:Just so all you guys know, I haven't even had time to work on an IE7 addon yet at this point (I'm not kidding when I say that real life has been extremely busy for the last couple months)
Just wanted to say thanks for thinking about us and for your and everyone's hard work, and we understand that you're busy. If anything, I reinstall Windows more often now just because the packs available here + DP + nLite make it practically a joy.

Thanks, Ryan!