integrator suggestion

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
ripken204

integrator suggestion

Post by ripken204 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:20 pm

i would like to make this a thread for suggestions about the new integrator that works very nicely. then ryanvm and siginet can hopefully make some improvents for the latter versions of the integrator based on our suggestions.

i have 2 suggestions
1. where is says "please select the directory containing the I386 directory", i think it should say something like "please select you xpcd directory" or something along the lines of that
2. there should be some kind of timer or status bar saying how long it has left untill the integrattion is finished.

ripken204

Post by ripken204 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:39 pm

well i just notices a percentage on top but it doesnt really work, it just skipped from 14% to 21%. it give you some idea but oh well...

maska

Post by maska » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:10 pm

And another one: why Please select RVMUpdatePack*.cab file. has Optional in brackets after it?

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:19 pm

maska wrote:And another one: why Please select RVMUpdatePack*.cab file. has Optional in brackets after it?
It says that because you can just integrate an addon another time from when the main pack was already integrated, which is why it is optional.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:21 pm

i
ripken204 wrote: i have 2 suggestions
1. where is says "please select the directory containing the I386 directory", i think it should say something like "please select you xpcd directory" or something along the lines of that
2. there should be some kind of timer or status bar saying how long it has left untill the integrattion is finished.
1.- It states the obvious that your xpcd contains the i386 directory so suggestion one would just be saying the same thing n a different way.

2.- there is a progress indicator in the top right corner.
ripken204 wrote:well i just notices a percentage on top but it doesnt really work, it just skipped from 14% to 21%. it give you some idea but oh well...
its because i would imagine that the progress indicator changes based on the completion of the _integrate.exe outputs in the hidden cmd window and how some commands complete faster than others that might explain the jump in percentage, but it still serves its purpose as a general progress indicator it lets you know more or less how much is compplete (allthough a timer like ripkin said mentioning how much tie remains would be nice)
maska wrote:And another one: why Please select RVMUpdatePack*.cab file. has Optional in brackets after it?
Because it is optional DUH! lets say ryan adds an addon to the download section instead of a complete update pack, wouldnt you prefer just integrate the tiny 1 or 2 mb addon as opposed to the 40+ mb full pack.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:23 pm

:lol: Dale answered maska's reply while i was writing mine hahaha :lol: :rolleyes: :oops:
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

RyanVM
Site Admin

Re: integrator suggestion

Post by RyanVM » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:09 pm

ripken204 wrote:1. where is says "please select the directory containing the I386 directory", i think it should say something like "please select you xpcd directory" or something along the lines of that
Yes, the wording is kind of fuzzy right now. I intend to clean that up at some point.
That's not very doable currently, but eventually it will be once we get __integrate.cmd completely ported to the autoit program.

I've got a few other changes in mind for future versions as well. Stay tuned ;)

ripken204

Post by ripken204 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:35 pm

thx, i knew that that 2nd one would take a while to do b/c it takes a while, but just a time reamaining is all that we really need.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 pm

The problem with implementing a time remaining indicator (in minutes and seconds) is the fact that it can be significantly inaccurate.

My observation is that the blue progress percentage indicator only shows while SP2.cab driver integration occurs. The speed of this process is almost entirely dependent on your hard disk IO subsystem. It can take significantly longer on a severely fragmented HD connected to PATA66 on a 300MHz Pentium-based system than a freshly defragmented SATA300 RAID 0 array on an Athlon X2 +4800 based system.

A status bar would be better, but given the size of the window it would have around the same level of granularity. Since the current indicator uses 7% increments it could rather easily translate to a 14 segment bar.

Maybe "growing up" on dial-up has made me better at doing this in my head than others. :P

Araknis

Re: integrator suggestion

Post by Araknis » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:34 am

RyanVM wrote:
ripken204 wrote:1. where is says "please select the directory containing the I386 directory", i think it should say something like "please select you xpcd directory" or something along the lines of that
Yes, the wording is kind of fuzzy right now. I intend to clean that up at some point.
Actually the wording is correct if you think about it "CONTAINING THE I386", but I too do not like to select the ROOT of the CD.

RyanVM, I had sent Signet some code in his early betas when I was helping him where you could select any folder in the XPCD path.
By this I mean not just the Root (XPCD) like Signet is doing but anything in the Path.
For Example, the I386 (XPCD\I386), deeper (XPCD\I386\LANG\) , or something else (XPCD\VALUADD).
5eraph wrote:The problem with implementing a time remaining indicator (in minutes and seconds) is the fact that it can be significantly inaccurate.
I also don't like a time remaining indicator as they never work/are inaccurate.

Look at downloading a file with Internet Explorer for example.
CPU/Download speed is never consistant so it fluctuates.

Instead why not base it off of something simple like the amount of files processed.

Better yet the amount of bytes processed as not all files are the same size and some take longer to process.
RyanVM wrote:I've got a few other changes in mind for future versions as well. Stay tuned ;)
PM me and I may be able to help