RyanPack vs Microsoft Update

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
lrdslr

RyanPack vs Microsoft Update

Post by lrdslr » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:09 am

In the site Microsoft Update have all updates of the RyanPack?

I am with doubt because in the site of the RyanPack shows 100+ updates and in the site Microsoft Update have only 20.

Araknis

Re: RyanPack vs Microsoft Update

Post by Araknis » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:16 am

Microsoft Update has only the Critical Updates for Windows XP SP2.
RyanVM's Pack has Critical, Non-Critical, and Beta Updates.
That is the reason there are more in RyanVM's

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:01 am

also in ryans pack has certain updates which aret available to the consumer unlees they call microsoft and ask for them, hence thats why they are not shown on the microsoft update site
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Araknis

Post by Araknis » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:14 am

Yea, dgelwin you are correct these "Certain updates that are not available to the consumer unless they call or email Microsoft" are the Beta updates.

lrdslr

Post by lrdslr » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:45 am

I have 2 computers, in the one of them, the installation of the Windows delayed 2 hours with integrated RyanPack. We have some solution for this problem?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:51 am

So it was the exact same disk that delayed for 2 hrs? And on the other computer how long did it take? I have not heard of this error before. I know if you did not use a fresh sp2 disk this is possible... but if you got different outcomes with the exact same disk on 2 different computers this is something that will be a problem. :(
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:00 am

BTW What kind of hardware are these 2 computers?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:09 am

jummm.... i had this error after updating a copy of xpsp2 that had previosuly been update with pack 1.2.2 +1.2.2b and then updated with pack 1.3.0 when i was testing it, my install took over 2 hours and 45 minutes. use a fresh install like siginets recomends i believe he suffered the same problem as well, so just try this

1.- place original disc in drive

2.- copy contents to a hard disk (largest one if possible)

3.- download sp2

4.- use this syntax drive:\path\sp2 -s:drive:\path\xp source folder

5.- Download RyanVM integrator RC8 should be up tommorow i think

6.- Download update pack 1.3.1 and addons if desired

7.- Integrate RyanVM pack + optional addons to your freshly updated xpsp2 folder

8.- (Optional) replace files with patched versions of them available for download on the site

9.- (Optional) Modify your xpsp2+rvmpack source folder with nlite.

-----note: If you use nlite plz remember integrate ryans pack first, Ryan has stated numerous times do not update a previously nlited source folder. in other words dont mod your folder before you update it would be like putting on a condom after sex. it just makes no logic.

10.- (Optional) If your making a multidisc install i definately recomend siginet's awesome power packer program.

11.- Create your iso and enjoy :D

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:27 am

it would be like putting on a condom after sex.
I do that all the time. ;) Geuss that is why I have another baby on the way! ;) lol!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:54 am

hahaha yeah i am getting sleepy and when i get sleepy i some times say stupid thing, the funniest part is I actually know someone that got his girl pregnant and then afterwards complained that it wasnt his because he put on a condom as soon as he got home :lol:

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:10 am

Just to add flames to this fire :lol:
I did an install last night on an abit vt6 Via chipset with a Sata drive.
I had to make a fresh disk because it wanted the via sata driver slipped in before it would start.

It’s only a small addition of 2 files to the i386 folder and a few entries to the txtsetup file but the install took a very long time.

It sat at the 39 min stage for ages. Now I haven’t done an install to real hardware that isn’t a via chipset or sata drive but I have done it to vmware which emulates an ide drive and I think its an Intel chipset and this was far quicker, no initial delay at 39 mins.

I don't know if this is relevant but the more info out there the better.

Paul

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:28 am

RC7 was supposed to have code in it which removes obsolete CAT files/entries from svcpack.inf and the svcpack directly. I think that code is broken, which could be causing the problems those of you upgrading over older versions would be running into.

Of course, then there's the bigger CAT file issue. I'm still working on a fix for the whole thing, but like I've said before, that's very slow-going. As a workaround, I'm thinking about shrinking down the main pack even further (I'm thinking about making it be for just the publicly-released MS hotfixes) and then creating an "unsigned" addon pack with all of the rest of the updates with no CAT files (meaning WFP won't like them, but they'll be up to date anyway).
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

lrdslr

Post by lrdslr » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:17 am

PC1: Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB RAM, HD 80GB SATA
I installed Windows XP SP2 in 25 minutes, with the RyanPack integrated to the CD I installed in 40 minutes. Acceptable...

PC2: K6-3 400MHz (AFF), 256MB PC133, HD 80GB ATA133 (This PC is sad!!! :wink: )
I installed Windows XP SP2 in 45 minutes, with the RyanPack integrated to the CD I installed in 2 hours!!! :shock:

I used a fresh CD of Windows XP SP2 + RyanPack v1.3.1 + XPize + nLite

maska

Post by maska » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:46 pm

RyanVM wrote:. As a workaround, I'm thinking about shrinking down the main pack even further (I'm thinking about making it be for just the publicly-released MS hotfixes) and then creating an "unsigned" addon pack with all of the rest of the updates with no CAT files (meaning WFP won't like them, but they'll be up to date anyway).
I think that would a very good solution for the near future. Can we hope for it in september? :)

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:32 pm

I like the idea of a slimdowned update pack with only critical installs which appear in windows update.... but only if it's for a client, for myself i prefer having everything, you just never know when it might come in handy.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:53 pm

maska wrote:
RyanVM wrote:. As a workaround, I'm thinking about shrinking down the main pack even further (I'm thinking about making it be for just the publicly-released MS hotfixes) and then creating an "unsigned" addon pack with all of the rest of the updates with no CAT files (meaning WFP won't like them, but they'll be up to date anyway).
I think that would a very good solution for the near future. Can we hope for it in september? :)
Possibly.

The advantage to doing things the way I described is that I could work through the (massive) backlog of new hotfixes I've got as well and just leave them as unsigned.

maska

Post by maska » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:29 am

... and no more T-39 waiting for us. :)

Personally I would be satisfied to have only the critical hotfixes in the next months.

buletov

Post by buletov » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:35 am

Yes...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

tbone2

Post by tbone2 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:50 am

well then spend 10 minutes downloading the other fixes from MS after install....No Thank you !!! ....maybe split thim into a 4th pack and have the none critical hotfixes in its own pack?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:19 am

...that's exactly what we're saying...
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357