MULTIBOOT XP DISC

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
TJHart85

MULTIBOOT XP DISC

Post by TJHart85 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:29 am

I was just wondering if anyone else has an xp multiboot disc and has run into the same problem as me.

Ok, what I did was I started with an XP Gold disc and integrated SP2. I ran the integrator and integrated the Post-SP2 Update Pack, Update Pack WMP10 Addon, and the Update Pack Addons Full. The integrator did not give me an error, and the logs report everything went ok.

Then, I did what I normally do when i create my discs with RVM updates, I copied the XP root into my SETUP\XP\PROFESSIONAL\
directory. I went into i386 and copied the TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF (i don't think DOSNET is needed there, at least it wasn't originally there, but it never hurt in the previous versions) into my boot folders, PRO1, PRO2 and PRO3. (I also edited the TXTSETUP.sif file in each to reflect the different location of the XP files by changeding SetupSourcePath to "\SETUP\XP\Professional\"

I then created my image, burned it up, and proceeded to install Windows. I just left it be, and when I came back like an hour later it was done, BUT it looked like you turned off some of the eye candy (looks like WIN2000) I also ran QFECHECK and it reports no hotfixes on the system.

I looked in to see if any of the other RYANVM stuff is there, the sysinternals programs and such. Nothing is there. I try to install some programs, and anything that ran with an MSI wouldn't run, the service wasn't installed. Also, pretty much no extras got installed, no games, or anything like that. It did not copy the stuff from my $OEM$ directory to the C drive.

I dunno what I did wrong, I was just hoping someone else here has a multiboot disc and has gotten it to work successfully and could gimme quick overview of what they did, and most importantly, if they had to change anything with this pack vs. the others. I have used these packs for quite a while, and have never had a problem in the past.
Hopefully I'm just overlooking something incredibly stupid.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any input I can get on this.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:57 am

Wow, am I the only one here who uses a multiboot disc? Or am I just the only one with a problem? Oh well, for now I'm just gonna make a CD and use my DVD as a software installer until I can find a way to resolve this.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:13 pm

oops, i dont use multiboot installations, siginet has a tool for that, maybe he will write sth. wait some more :wink:

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:39 pm

Then, I did what I normally do when i create my discs with RVM updates, I copied the XP root into my SETUP\XP\PROFESSIONAL\
directory. I went into i386 and copied the TXTSETUP.SIF and DOSNET.INF (i don't think DOSNET is needed there, at least it wasn't originally there, but it never hurt in the previous versions) into my boot folders, PRO1, PRO2 and PRO3. (I also edited the TXTSETUP.sif file in each to reflect the different location of the XP files by changeding SetupSourcePath to "\SETUP\XP\Professional\"
You do not need dosnet.inf in there. But... a lot of your system files have changed. You need to completley create a new boot folder not just copy txsetup.sif. All of the files in your old boot folders are not up to date with the new integrated ones. I bet that is the problem.

Try my Windows XP PowerPacker program. It will do everything for you. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:05 pm

nah, that’s not the case, I am still using the original sp2 floppy boot files with no problems

I did exactly like you did TJ and all went fine, I suspect the visual problem is caused by you forgetting to drop the utxtheme.dll into your i386 folder after integration.

As for the boot files, if you do it the same way I do and use the files from the floppies all in one folder then there is no change needed there that you didn’t make. txtsetup.sif needs to be dropped in and edited just like you did.

I do have a theory, do you get an error when clicking on the properties of "my computer" that reports a problem with a .dll file beginning with f ? I think its framesynth or sinc, I can’t remember the file name but I get the problem 1 in 100 installs, it just seems like the install screws up completely, all I do is reformat and start again.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:15 am

Paul_365 wrote:I do have a theory, do you get an error when clicking on the properties of "my computer" that reports a problem with a .dll file beginning with f ? I think its framesynth or sinc, I can’t remember the file name but I get the problem 1 in 100 installs, it just seems like the install screws up completely, all I do is reformat and start again.
I do not know. I immediately re-formated with my non-unattended disc. I did try re-making my boot folders, but that did not work.

The way it looked, it was more like nothing that was updated got copied over. There were no hotfixes, and nothing from my $OEM$ folder got copied. There was also none of the extras Ryan installs (calc, nor the sysinternals stuff).

So, Paul, you have done this just fine then? No problems. In order to create my boot folder, I follow flyakite's guide, WINNT... /NOREBOOT (don't remember the exact name of the WINNT program.

I then use CDSHELL for my multiboot screen. I have 3 ways to install Windows (me, girlfriend, and no mods). I then have HIRENS boot CD as well.

I honestly don't know what I am doing wrong. I have used these packs since like Jan/Feb w/o problems.
--Douglas Adams

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:36 am

ah, no i don't use that method to create the source files, thats gosh's method and it uses the winnt32.exe to precopy the files to the hidden folder, it also uses dosnet.inf to achive this.
where as the usual method uses just the txtsetup.sif file.

While your having problems i would switch to just copying the i386 folder from the finished and intergrated source files to your multidisk project, copying over texsetup.sif to your boot folder and editing the install path.

Do you use a virtual pc for testing? if not i would recomend trying VMWare its alot easyer than wasting a disk every time uou test.

If you can use teamspeak and need any help give me a shout, 208.51.27.16 you will find me in the library, just shout up.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:19 pm

I'll have to look into the method you use.
While your having problems i would switch to just copying the i386 folder from the finished and intergrated source files to your multidisk project, copying over texsetup.sif to your boot folder and editing the install path.
I have attempted this. I'm gonna give it one last try, prolly tommorow because I have school and work today, and I'll post what my results are.

Thanks for your help. I have absolutely no idea what teamspeak is, but I'll look into it.
--Douglas Adams

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:20 pm

I know what your problem is, i used to use gosh method for reducing size of source as well, here is your problem.
even though dosnet.inf is not present it was used when creating the administrative install using the norestar command, so basically whats wrong is that your new files you have copied server no purpose because there not registered to be copied during installation.
solution :
1.- do like me and download siginets great tool powerpacker, or
2.- run winnt32.exe installation using new source files to recreate the folder ;)

hope this helps i gota go my girlfriend willl kick my ass if she finds me in front of a computer :lol:
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:53 pm

hope this helps i gota go my girlfriend willl kick my ass if she finds me in front of a computer
LOL! Women... you gotta love em! ;) Haha!
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:38 am

dgelwin wrote:2.- run winnt32.exe installation using new source files to recreate the folder
You mean try and re-create my boot folders after integrating with the RVMIntegrator? I've tried that already.

I am currently looking at Siginet's Power Packer. I think I might wind up using it. I'm trying to see if I can keep my old CDSHELL boot folder instead of the one his program creates (no offence, I also boot to different boot discs and plan on adding knoppix to the mix as well). So far, other than the folder layouts being pretty different than the way I'm used to it, I think I'm liking his program. I just have to test it in a real test.
--Douglas Adams

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:55 pm

you can replace the boot folder from power packer, for example i use a bscript boot folder ;), but apart from that power packer does everything else :D

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:08 pm

There is also an option in WinXP PowerPacker to add Extra Root Files. You can create a boot folder in your Extra Root Files directory and place your custom cdshell.ini file there. It will overwrite the default one. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:56 pm

Well, SIGINETs XP PowerPacker passed the VirtualPC test.

[QUOTE=SIGINET]There is also an option in WinXP PowerPacker to add Extra Root Files. You can create a boot folder in your Extra Root Files directory and place your custom cdshell.ini file there. It will overwrite the default one.[/QUOTE]
Cool, I had just made the computer show hidden files and deleted your BOOT folder, and replaced it with mine (no offence to you or your boot folder of course), and it worked like a charm.

I must say it is a real excellent program. In a way its kind of a good thing Ryans update pack wouldn't work. If this hadn't broken I would never have used your program, and I must say it is a great one.

I plan on testing this whole tonite thing on my real computer. I'll post results as I get them.

THANKS EVERYONE!
--Douglas Adams

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:38 am

I suggest you try my program with BTS DriverPacks as well. ;) And also try the Tri-Pack option. ;)

BTW... I do need to make a better boot menu for it someday... I know. :D But that is one of the reasons I do have the extra root files option. So people can add their own custom files.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:04 am

siginet how about the exaample boot menu i sent you using bscript?
what do you think about it?
i like it because you can use graphical menues, and i also made a lil programs in visual basic for automatically creating the menu options on the background of your choice just by adding the options you want then it save it to the bmp for bscript and adds the options to the bscript.ini, but im having trouble making it unnatended thats why im trying to learn autoit :D

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:09 am

In the licensing for cdshell there are permissions to use cdshell within a program like mine... but I am not sure about the licensing for bscript. I personally like cdshell... but later I will make plugins so that a user can use other options for building their boot menus. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

TJHart85

DUNNO

Post by TJHart85 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:18 am

BTW... I do need to make a better boot menu for it someday... I know. But that is one of the reasons I do have the extra root files option. So people can add their own custom files.
Don't worry, I wasn't bashing you or you programs boot file. The main reason that I don't use your default boot file is that I also have more things for it to boot to than just the Windows stuff.

Well, everything worked fine in the VirtualPC test, but when the real world test went through, it failed miserably. Same results as before, Windows eye candy missing. No signs that Ryan's pack did anything at all. It did hang for about 6 minutes at T-39, but WMP10 is not there, qfecheck finds nothing (but oddly enough, QFECHECK IS in the system32 directory), i go to RUN and type MSCONFIG to see whats running, the computer says MSCONFIG doesn't exist. I try installing apps, as long as they aren't MSI files, they'll install just fine. Some won't run afterwards and will complain of missing files, but others will run fine.

I am trying again. I will try this time with the same RVM source I used before, that is on my multiboot disc created with powerpacker. This source wasn't touched by anything else, and is not even an unattended disc boot option. All this one does is enter my serial for me. I'm hoping maybe this is something stupid, like my WINNTBBU (install screen) is messing this all up or something.

As for what I replace in the i386 directory, all I replace is:

Code: Select all

NOTEPAD.CH_
NOTEPAD.EX_
NOTEPAD.HL_ (obviously these replace notepad.  I use metapad)
SYSDM.CP_ (replace the computer screen in SYSTEM PROPERTIES)
UXTHEME.DL_ (replaced with version on Ryan's site)
WINNTBBU.DL_ (install screen)
Notepad is replaced with metapad. The computer screen in SYSTEM PROPERTIES is replaced as it is supposed to be. I do not know about unsigned themes, cause I don't use them, but my girlfriend does when she logs onto her user name (which isn't created by default). The install screen seems to work just fine during installation.

Like I said before, I am starting with a crean RVM source that i don't do anything with, and i'll see how it goes now.

Here are my computer specs:

Code: Select all

AMD 64 3200+ Venice
MSI K8N NEO2-F
512 MB PC 3200
ATI Radeon 9200 All in Wonder PRO
All the drivers for this are include in my drivers directory. This is a new computer/mobo combo for me, so perhaps theres something funky going on with it, but when I do a standard XP (clean source, not even SP1/SP2), everything seems to work fine.
--Douglas Adams

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:44 pm

NOTEPAD.CH_
NOTEPAD.EX_
NOTEPAD.HL_ (obviously these replace notepad. I use metapad)
SYSDM.CP_ (replace the computer screen in SYSTEM PROPERTIES)
UXTHEME.DL_ (replaced with version on Ryan's site)
WINNTBBU.DL_ (install screen)

i change these as ell, i use skittys addon for notepad and i make my own install screen and i use unsigned themes so replacing those files are definitely not the problem.