Errors During Install with 1.3.1

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
dcromwell

Errors During Install with 1.3.1

Post by dcromwell » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:03 am

Hello all,

I recently downloaded and integrated 1.3.1 to a clean XP Pro SP2 disk. I am now experiencing a few problems with the installation. First, I get a white block that fills 75% of the screen where one usually click on "Connects Directly to the Internet", etc., and where one types in the user names for that computer. The first time I tried the install I could not get past this at all so I took out my battery and pulled the power cable (this is a laptop install). I burnt a new disk (fresh SP2 integration, fresh 1.3.1 integration and checked and double-checked my winnt.sif file. The second time around text appeared at this area (I believe it is called the Out of Box Experience). The text was NOT the normal text though, as it was black Courier instead of the normal white text. The buttons (next, back, etc.) were also not the normal buttons as they were not at the bottom and they looked like old school arrow buttons found on web pages long ago and not the smooth graphics of today.... I got to the screen where you type the user names and again got a large white box. I pulled the power again.

Both times I was able to get booted into XP after I pulled the power; however, Internet Explorer popped up with an error saying that the program was not associated to anything and asked me what I wanted to use to open it up. I also got an error both times regarding an unassociated application while I was installing Macromedia Shockwave (as it pops up an IE screen during install).

Not sure what to do. Any ideas? The correct video drivers are being installed and they have worked with previous versions....

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:57 pm

Anyone have any suggestions at all as what to try????

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:34 pm

i dont know if im right but it could be that the copy of windows xp your running is bootleg moddified downloaded off the internet,
note nlite isnt the only xp source modding program out there even though it may be the most popular there are others which leave no traces. try to get a copy of an original xp disc, if your source is from orginal then i have no clue what causing your error.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:38 am

I am using my original XP Pro SP1 disc that I have used with no errors until now. I slipstreamed the network install version of SP2 which I downloaded directly from Microsoft the day I created the disc. I do not use nLite or any modding program...

All drivers are being installed correctly so there shouldn't be anything wrong with the winnt.sif file. It is recognizing the $OEM$/install directory as it is installing programs correctly.

Are there any other files I could check? I will say that i have only tried this install on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I have not tried this on my desktops, but that should make little difference.

What changes are there from the manual integration of 1.2.X (whatever Ryan's last version was) to the GUI integration of 1.3.1.... to the integration itself.

I never had an error with IE not being associated to anything until now............

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:39 pm

it should make no difference weather it is a laptop or a desktop, ive read somewhere in the forum about preserving end of file marker in txtsetup.sif you can try that. other than that im stumped on this one sorry :(

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:44 pm

txtsetup.sif is exactly the same as it was in previous versions of my discs.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:49 pm

is the end of file marker still there
note the end of file marker is invisible, to view it use the cmd's edit comand to open the file and scroll to bottom :D

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:00 am

I don't see it in either a working or non-working version. What exactly does this marker look like? I have read nothing about it....

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:17 am

When viewed in notepad at the very bottom of the file you will see something similar but smaller to this

[]

Some editors display it as what looks like a version of the pipe symbol | only shorter and wider. others don’t display it at all.

You may need to look at a txtsetup.sif file from an original disk or sp2 set.

Again with all that said we are still not sure of the impact of the missing EOF, However a computer that has been failing continuously at the oobe stage passed with flying colors, Unfortunately I made 2 changes to that disk version so I can’t confirm which one fixed the problem.

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:56 am

I do not see this EOF marker in the 1.3.1 version. How do I get it/reproduce it?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:19 pm

I don't know if the EOF issue causes any problems at all... but I did completley recode hoe the txtsetup.sif file is handeled through the integrator and now it preserves the EOF marker. So stay tuned for RC9. :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:56 pm

I found the EOF marker on my original XP SP1A CD. I am going to try integrating SP2 again and then 1.3.1 when RC9 comes out. I will report my findings here. I don't think it is the cause, but who knows... IE not being associated with anything is more puzzling to me than the white screen...........

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:54 pm

dcromwell wrote:I found the EOF marker on my original XP SP1A CD. I am going to try integrating SP2 again and then 1.3.1 when RC9 comes out. I will report my findings here. I don't think it is the cause, but who knows... IE not being associated with anything is more puzzling to me than the white screen...........
RC9 is out. Do a search :P
EDIT: See here:
viewtopic.php?t=447

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:55 pm

I just tried my new disc of 1.3.1 utilizing RC9 of the Integrator and it didn't work. Same errors (white screen in OOBE so I can't enter any information and IE is not associated).

Does anyone have any further ideas on what could be causing this?

Is anyone willing to let me download their XP Pro SP2 ISO (clean) so I can try that? My ISO may have some alterations to it that I am unaware of... ???

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:22 pm

Use your current XP installation...the files are located under <windir>\system32\oobe
You'll have have to match those files with the location on the CD source...but just use clean OOBE files after you've run the intregrator

Also: Changing the JPG files in this location will allow you to change how the OOBE screens work...
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:44 pm

The OOBE files aren't the problem. They have worked in my previous versions. Internet Explorer not being a registered program (a box comes up and asks me what I want to open Internet Explorer with) has nothing to do with any OOBE file!

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:16 pm

are you getting any other errors?

maybe a screen shot or the error message it self?
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:47 pm

I am not getting any error messages. As I have stated more than once, during the part where one normally sets up their internet connection and types in the usernames they will be using, I get a large white screen that fills 80% of my screen and I cannot continue past this screen. Sometimes I see a few pages of text, but it is not the normal text that one customarily would see during this part and the graphics for the clickable boxes (next, skip, etc.) are not the normal ones either. I am not able to go past this part of the install, so I shut off the computer by pulling the battery out and the plug.

When it boots back up, it goes to the automated application install. When that completes and XP loads, Internet Explorer is not a registered program....

I am wondering if I should change the options in the winnt.sif to make the installation of XP itself unautomated to see if any errors are popping up that I am not seeing...

dcromwell

Post by dcromwell » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:27 am

No one else has any ideas/suggestions/questions on why this is happening?

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:50 pm

Out Of Box Experience = OOBE
If the images are missing then the display would be white but everything should show except for the text (which is configured in a CSS file to be white also)

However, with the error you get when loading IE...then that's your problem...OOBE is written in HTML code.

There was a problem similar to this when you neglected to add the correct lines into the txtsetup.inf file (I think) but it referred to specific DLL files.

A few questions for you...
#1 What language is your operating system?
#2 What language is your keyboard set to?
#3 Where is the XP source located when using the RVM Integrator?

If you are 100% certain you know the answers to the first 2, it still doesn't hurt to check...worst case scenario, try setting everything to US English
For the 3rd question...I tried integrating into a folder on my desktop...it didn't work worth a damn.
My next DVD burn was from C:\XP and the Integrator/CABs were all in the root of C:\

It worked for the most part...the only problems were things that I caused and will be corrected by the MediumAddOnPack v1.3.1 that I created for myself.

Although it's been a while since I tried nLite...I advise making sure you can work without it first.

Try these steps from a clean source (and read all steps before doing so):
-copy source to basic 8dot3 folder location and try to stay only one or two folders deep.
-Integrate SP2 Manually ...then burn and test (use Virtual PC or VMWare to conserve CDs)...if successful proceed
-Toss in your WINNT.SIF ...Remove references out for external applications cuz we haven't got around to adding them yet...then burn and test ...if successful proceed
-put the RVM_Intregrator EXE and the RVMUpdate pack 1 folder higher than your source (and the addons if you wish)
-run the Integrator and select the XP source folder (this is the one that has the I386 folder in it. don't select the i386 folder itself)
-<OPTIONAL> select the Update CAB file and Addon CAB file(s)
-Click INTEGRATE...this should take a while...if it goes pretty quickly then you know something is wrong
-burn and test...always save the previous/latest working burned image cuz you can use that as a starting point next time...oh and a Clean CD slipped with SP2 for when 1.3.2 etc comes out.
-now add your modded files and additional software and drivers...remember to put the references back into WINNT.SIF if you had any remove...
-burn and test

I'm tired of typing...try this and get back to us... :wink:
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

ElSid

I too had Major Problem

Post by ElSid » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:44 am

:evil: Waited for RVM pack 1.3.1. Using my manually slipstreamed XPSP2 disk (which works great), I downloaded the RC9 integrator and made up a new disk to install. (NOTE: I did not remove or do anything do the disk except integrate RVM). I ran a test of the ISO on VMWare ver 4.5.2 Build-8848 and everything went smoothly, so I burned a copy using the latest NERO with DAO enabled. I started installing on a clean partition and at about the 55% of copying the files (XPSP3RES.DLL) it errored out of the install. I tried redoing the integration and restesting on VMWare with ZERO errors. I needed to re-install XP so I am manually downloading all the updated :( . Anyone else have this problem? Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Vince227

Fatal Error

Post by Vince227 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:20 pm

I started with the original XPsp2 CD from MS. and all i did was run the integrate fixes from nlite and choose ryvm update pack 1.3.1 no integrate drivers, no hotfixes, no unattened, no patches, no tweaks.

I then choose create ISO. I burnt the CD then after installing the files xp reboots with an error has been encounter that prevents setup from countinuing, one of the components that windows needs to countinue setup could not be installed.
A components file does not match the verification information present in the component manifest.

here is more detail: sxs.dll syntax error in manifest or policy file "d:\i386\asms\10\msft\windows\GDIPLUS.man" on line 4

I dont know if its a simple fix since I'm new and this is my first post, but I do hope there is a solution cause I would really like to run this well patched CD.

THANK YOU in ADVANCE for your help.