Update Packs Since October 2006

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Jay

Update Packs Since October 2006

Post by Jay » Thu May 10, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi all I have been integrating the update packs for a while now and I must say I am very grateful to Ryan for this excellent service.

But I am experiencing problems with updates after Oct 2006, each update pack after this date seems to cause problems with 1 app in particular which is winrar. This app takes up to a minute to load with every update pack after Oct 2006.

I am still using the oct 2006 cd I made as this is very stable. Im sure a lot of you use winrar so maybe you have the same problem, I have tried different versions of winrar but all have the same problem.

I use Ryans integrator which works perfectly everytime but I cannot work out why this is happening. My guess is its a Microsoft issue but Im no expert. I run XP Pro and have a top spec pc so if anyone can help with this I would be grateful.

Many Thanks.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu May 10, 2007 10:23 pm

I use WinRAR every day without any issues.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri May 11, 2007 2:16 am

I thought someone would say that LOL.

Its very strange as I have tried this on 3 pcs and all 3 suffer the same problem so that rules out hardware.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri May 11, 2007 3:41 am

I also use winrar quite often. Where you integrating any addons as well?
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri May 11, 2007 5:46 am

No Siginet I never use addons at all just the update pack.

All 3 pcs have exactly the same software and configuration so I am absolutely stumped.

Thanks for replying guys.

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Fri May 11, 2007 9:56 am

What complete version of WinRAR are you using? It's been updated recently (several times, actually). Those updates address a number of bugs and issues, including a few that seem to describe what you're experiencing.
-KZ

Professional writer/musician/lunatic on closed course. Do not attempt.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri May 11, 2007 10:35 am

Thanks Kelaniz I will try updating Winrar although I do have a recent version.

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri May 11, 2007 3:28 pm

I checked the winrar website and I have the latest version 3.62 which I have tested against the older version and I still get the same problem.

Its ok I will keep trying to find this problem, In the meantime its October windows for me.
:cry:

Thanks a lot for trying guys. :)

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri May 11, 2007 4:22 pm

WinRar used to load very slowly at my computer when I had several apps open. Maybe its the winrar settings that makes it slow. I always set it to run in low cpu. That makes it run slow. You can check your winrar settings.
Good luck

kelaniz

Post by kelaniz » Fri May 11, 2007 10:49 pm

Jay wrote:I checked the winrar website and I have the latest version 3.62 which I have tested against the older version and I still get the same problem.
Have you tried any of the 3.70 betas? If the problem's in WinRAR itself, I wouldn't expect a pre-3.62 version to fix it, as most changes leading up to 3.62 were incredibly minor or aesthetic.

The fixes I was referring to were in 3.70b2+. Y'know, I had a similar problem with 3.62, but my delays (just opening the app, not an archive) were sometimes 20-30 seconds, and I'm sure my AthlonXP is way slower than your box. :)
Anyway, I recently upgraded from 3.62 to 3.70b4 (and later 3.70b8). Both versions have been running flawlessly on three builds using each of Ryan's last three packs.

Good luck with that. A minute delay...That'd drive me nuts.

Kel
-KZ

Professional writer/musician/lunatic on closed course. Do not attempt.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat May 12, 2007 4:53 am

I will try the beta version and see if that does the trick.

And yes it does drive me nuts LOL.

Thanks a lot.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat May 12, 2007 9:10 am

BTW, I just specifically tested WinRAR 3.62 loading in VMWare with the latest beta of the new pack and it came up essentially instantly. I'm wondering if you've got certain regtweaks misbehaving or something.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat May 12, 2007 12:11 pm

The only reg changes I make Ryan are the desktop shortcut arrows (I hate those) and show windows version on desktop.

I follow the same procedure everytime when I install the updated windows from your pack. The only slight difference in the October cd
is that its completely unattended.

I have a feeling it could be a software clash somewhere as im pretty certain its nothing to do with MS updates especially as it seems I am alone with this problem.

Cheers. :)

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Sat May 12, 2007 1:46 pm

Hello Jay, i have to say that I have never had this problem either. I always use WinRAR, and have never encountered this problem.

Exactly when do you see this delay? Is it when you want to unpack an archive, or when you want to make one?

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat May 12, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi Stimpy its when I start the app from a rar file the initial start up is anything up to a minute but if I close winrar and then reopen, it starts fine.

The first thing I suspected was my firewall but I since proved this is not the case.

Thanks for your input.

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Sat May 12, 2007 3:05 pm

Hi Jay, what size archive are you clicking on? Or does it do it with all sized archives?

The reason I ask, is that if your running WinRAR by opening the archive (using a left mouse click on the archive file) then WinRar has to decompress the archive first (in memory) before it is able to open it's GUI. So other things inside your computers come in to play, such as available free physical memory, CPU speed, and even HD speed and fragmentation.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sat May 12, 2007 3:29 pm

Well its all sizes Stimpy and there is no problem with ram or
defragmentation. I have a gigabyte of ram and a pentium 4 3.02
processor.

I also have the problem on my other 2 networked pcs so I can rule
out hardware. Also I always install windows and my software on a
spare hard drive and then copy to my main drive so I always have
a backup.

I have also tried installing direct to my main hd but the problem
persists. Im sure I will find out eventually but its taken since Oct 06
so far.

end3rkid

Post by end3rkid » Sat May 12, 2007 3:49 pm

What are the results on a very clean Windows XP SP2 with RyanVM Pack without any other pack, software or driver installed?

code65536

Post by code65536 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:24 pm

The only time I've experienced a delay when opening WinRAR is when one of my drives is not responding and then WinRAR hangs as it waits for it to time out (I guess it polls all drives when it is first started?) This happens to me when an optical drive is spinning up or starting a burn or sometimes with network drives where the networked computer is off (though this happens to me with or without the update pack). Though I think this isn't so much of a problem with WinRAR as it is with Windows' idiotic handling of drive access timeouts where app freezes seem to be common while waiting...

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Sat May 12, 2007 7:36 pm

Jay, do you use a NAS or any other form of networked drive or file sharing? I have noticed that if a program wants to bring up a list of available drives, it will look for a mapped network drive, and if that drive is in power save mode, then explorer will hang until it's available, normally 2-5 seconds.

Also, if your archive that you want to open is on another harddrive, Windows may have put that drive in to powersave mode, and spun it down. You may be able to open the drive in explorer, but you won't be able to access a file until the drive has spun back up again. Again, a delay of 2-5 seconds.

I have to say that I'm running out of ideas here. I wish I could help more.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun May 13, 2007 4:01 am

Thats a good point you raised Stimpy. I do have a home network
of 3 pcs and Explorer will often hang when I click "My Computer".

I have to leave it for up to 30 seconds before I get a response and
I have had this problem ever since I can remember and just put it
down to Microsofts buggy windows.

I do keep copies of my files on the other pcs (Im paranoid about
losing stuff) so it may be that Winrar is trying to access every rar file
present on the network.

Stimpy

Post by Stimpy » Sun May 13, 2007 10:18 am

I have a feeling that we've found the issue. I know that nLite has a tweak for this problem, it is a registry setting that is named something like "connect to mapped drives only when access is required" or something along those lines. It might help with your problem, it stopped my problem with the 30 second wait for My Computer to appear! Another way around this could be to not map the drive, and simply find it in My Network Places, and make a shortcut on your desktop.

A lot of programs that have file acess at the heart of what they do, can be slow to respond to networked drives.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun May 13, 2007 4:47 pm

I will try a new configuration with the May update pack without mapping the network drives and I hope this will solve the problem but I still cant
get my head around why the October pack works fine and the others do not.

But anyway thanks all you guys for taking the time to think this out
I appreciate it.

Cheers Stimpy. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun May 13, 2007 4:55 pm

Well, it appears that there were a few networking-related security updates in November, so it's certainly possible that one of them is the culprit. Why don't you try downloading the fixes from November (they're listed in the changelog) and try installing them on over your working October install and see if one of them breaks it.

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon May 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Thats a great idea Ryan I didnt realise this could be done as I am
focused on the update packs alone so it never crossed my mind.

Also many thanks for the May update pack and long may it continue.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue May 15, 2007 4:57 am

Okay, I think I've just begun to encounter the same problem using WinRAR 3.51, but get this: I'm not on a system that uses a recent Update Pack. I'm guessing that it's either a problem with WinRAR or a recent high-priority update.

The system in question is running with RVM Update Pack 2.0.3 released Feb. 2006.

I predominantly use 7-Zip or *.7z files, which may explain why I haven't noticed this until now. It only seems to occur when double-clicking on certain *.RAR files. These same files open just fine with 7-Zip...

I'll typically try opening the RAR with WinRAR (my default file compression manager) two or three times in 10-20 seconds. I'm using a relatively fast system so this should be more than an adequate amount of time to open the file. Then I'll open and decompress the same file with 7-Zip. Finally, I delete the RAR. Shortly after I delete the RAR, WinRAR gives me errors saying that it could not find the file. :rolleyes: