WinFLP (Windows for Legacy PCs) and the RyanVM UPDs

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
FroggieTheGremlin

WinFLP (Windows for Legacy PCs) and the RyanVM UPDs

Post by FroggieTheGremlin » Wed May 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Took a quick look and found no discussion so here goes... during the 3rd quarter of last year, M$ came out with a special distribution of XPsp2, a stripped down version called "Windows for Legacy PCs." It builds as a very nice small image for use with older, more limited PCs... I love it for older systems.

I guess the initial question would be has anyone tried Ryan's updates on that distribution yet, and if not, due to its stripped down nature do you think success in doing so may be in the cards?

Thanks in advance for any sage advice!

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed May 16, 2007 4:30 pm

Sounds like something I am interested in looking into. Thanks for the info. I never heard of this version of xp.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed May 16, 2007 4:39 pm

I believe that WinFLP would fall into the MCE2005/TabletPC category where it'll probably work for the most part, but there are no guarantees and quirks are a real possibility.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Wed May 16, 2007 4:41 pm

It's called Windows Fundamentals and more info can be found at this link

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/b ... ntals.mspx

Only negative I have found by reading about this on a few forums is that it doesn't appear to recognise partitioned drives correctly, other than that it gets good reports.

boooggy

Post by boooggy » Wed May 16, 2007 4:59 pm

and the whole setup is build in the same way that vista setup is build. using .wim file......

Us2002

Post by Us2002 » Wed May 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Yes, that is a realy problem to modify and customize this install WinFLP (not for Vista)...

FroggieTheGremlin

Post by FroggieTheGremlin » Thu May 17, 2007 12:07 pm

Mandarin wrote:It's called Windows Fundamentals and more info can be found at this link

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/b ... ntals.mspx

Only negative I have found by reading about this on a few forums is that it doesn't appear to recognise partitioned drives correctly, other than that it gets good reports.
I haven't come across this to date. My experience says partitioned drives work just fine as long as you specify where (what partition) you want the installation. In the case of UNATTENDED installation, it needs to have enough unallocated space on the drive, even in the presence of other left over partitions, to create its new OS partition.

I've built both "attended" and "unattended" and attended wants to know where, unattended finds its own unallocated space to partition. other than that, partitioning has shown no drawbacks for me...

jumz

Post by jumz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:48 am

boooggy wrote:and the whole setup is build in the same way that vista setup is build. using .wim file......
Can anyone confirm this? Does it really use the new WIM format / PE loader?
JuMz

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:29 pm

Yes I can. I just got my copy a coupla days ago.

DJB

Post by DJB » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:14 pm

Some people have asked me about intergrating RyanVM's updates into Windows Fundementals, and from what I've seen it wont be easy at all.

The disc is a totally different structure to your normal Windows XP installation disc, so obviously the current version of RyanVM Integrator wont work (well didnt work for me atleast).

I hope something can be done for it, but I'm being realistic and thinking it might not happen.

m-p{3}

Post by m-p{3} » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:19 pm

From what I can see from the file structure on the CD, it's really different of an ordinary XP setup disk. I doesn't rembmer much the file structure of Windows Vista setup disk, but I think it is very similar.

Mitsuko Aninikkou
Location: The Netherlands (But running US WinXP, in case it comes up)

Post by Mitsuko Aninikkou » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:01 pm

Yeah, that's what everyone was talking about with the WIM format / PE loader stuff.

galileo

Post by galileo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 pm

Does anyone know how/where to purchase one of these? After looking at the website link, it appears that this is only available to Volume License customers...??? Is there a "retail" purchase location?

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:06 pm

i believe a nlited xp is much more compatity to a legacy computer.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

m-p{3}

Post by m-p{3} » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:20 pm

galileo wrote:Does anyone know how/where to purchase one of these? After looking at the website link, it appears that this is only available to Volume License customers...??? Is there a "retail" purchase location?
It is only available to Volume Licence customers (Corporation).
The only way I could obtain it was with my job as an IT.

And Windows Fundamentals is only an official version from Microsoft. You can achieve similar results with nLite by disabling some services and removing uneeded components.