The future of the RyanVM Update Pack

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
RyanVM
Site Admin

The future of the RyanVM Update Pack

Post by RyanVM » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:48 pm

OK, classes have started back up for me and this term looks to be extremely busy. Therefore, I've made some decisions for what I'll be doing in the future. Some of this information won't come as any surprise since I've said some of this stuff before.
  1. As of next month's security releases, the main update pack will be scaled back to contain only the publicly available MS hotfixes along with a select few request-only fixes (such as KB888111).
  2. Doing the above should make the CAT file issues completely disappear, since this will substantially cut down the number of hotfixes included.
  3. I will no longer be concerning myself with the vast majority of the request-only hotfixes. It takes a lot of time to adequately maintain such a setup, and quite simply, real life takes priority over it.
  4. I'm still planning on maintaining the WMP10 addon pack and some form of addons packs.
If someone wants to maintain a request-only hotfixes addon pack, they're welcome to. Just don't expect me to. That being said, if you've got a few of the main request-only fixes you want to see remain in the main pack, please nominate them here.

Siginet has already begun writing up a guide for how to create an addon pack which works with the integrator. I'll try to lend some help in getting that written to make the transition as smooth as possible.

I understand some of you won't like the scaling back of the main pack, but I'm convinced it's the best course of action for the long term for both myself and my schedule and for the majority of the users.
Last edited by RyanVM on Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

itsme_4ucz

Post by itsme_4ucz » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:34 pm

Well
its saddning &good too bcos life comes first.i feel u should release update pack 1.32 with all the hot fixes till 2day then leave to all of us.And i think even board members ll too agree upon this,wat u make is somethin different.
I hope RyanVM u ll understand this time.
Thku. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

buletov

Post by buletov » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:20 am

I agree with RyanVM... (I'm familiar with the real life pressure...)
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:32 am

Well hopefully the community can develop some good addon packs which will take much of the load off you and you can just simply update with the critical security updates. :)

Maybe you should have boooggy maintain the WMP10 pack for example, he seems to be good with that. :D

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:21 am

itsme_4ucz wrote:Well
its saddning &good too bcos life comes first.i feel u should release update pack 1.32 with all the hot fixes till 2day then leave to all of us.And i think even board members ll too agree upon this,wat u make is somethin different.
Thku. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Agreed :)

Sereby

Post by Sereby » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:36 am

only one question:
do you close/remove the "Hotfix Hunt for Windows XP and .NET" or what?this thread is very important for me ^^" (and i think for the other updatepack languages, too)

dgelwin

Re: The future of the RyanVM Update Pack

Post by dgelwin » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:49 am

RyanVM wrote: [*]I will no longer be concerning myself with the vast majority of the request-only hotfixes. It takes a lot of time to adequately maintain such a setup, and quite simply, real life takes priority over it.

I understand some of you won't like the scaling back of the main pack, but I'm convinced it's the best course of action for the long term for both myself and my schedule and for the majority of the users.
I completely understand how the stress of classes can be, besides I think the idea of a pack that contains only the public hotfixes plus a select few request-only hotfixes is a reat idea, besides i have always felt that if the request-only hotfixes were really nescessary for everyone and not a select few then they would not be request-only but public :lol:

looking real forward to the guide for the addons something i want to create real bad hahaha.

keep up the good work and good luck in class.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:25 pm

I think Ryan deserves his break. ;) Married life can be hard at times. ;) The more time he spends with his wife the easier it will be. :)

I think if he (and others) help with the tutorials on how to create the packs it will be easier on everybody.

We will get a chance to see all kinds of new addons created by people and I think this project can grow to something much bigger. :D I will continue to support the Integrator in my spare time and I will keep adding newer functionality to it as well (as requested).
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:58 pm

RyanVM wrote:As of next month's security releases, the main update pack will be scaled back to contain only the publicly available MS hotfixes along with a select few request-only fixes (such as KB888111 and fixes which specifically postdate other files fixed by public updates).
Would you consider continuing your current patch methodology on a "paid subscription" basis? I'd be willing to pay you for your work, and I imagine others would too. Perhaps then you could justify the time?

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:22 am

I completely agree with RyanVM’s decision, This will make the update pack more manageable and at the same time not compromising Windows File Protection on vital system files (like NTOSKRNL.EXE which was already post-dated by a new hotfix after the publicly released M$ one)....

Majoram

Post by Majoram » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:02 pm

Good luck RyanVM with your new term and classes and such!
It's just amazing how you've been able to manage all the work with this stuff so far!

Now that your methods are going to be documented and released (which is very cool idea IMHO), would it be adaptable to do addon packs for applications like how it is done for WMP?

Such MSN Messenger 7.5? or small apps like text editors etc?

Enjoy your term!

dale5605

Post by dale5605 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:21 pm

Majoram wrote:Good luck RyanVM with your new term and classes and such!
It's just amazing how you've been able to manage all the work with this stuff so far!

Now that your methods are going to be documented and released (which is very cool idea IMHO), would it be adaptable to do addon packs for applications like how it is done for WMP?

Such MSN Messenger 7.5? or small apps like text editors etc?

Enjoy your term!
That's not really the same thing. WMP10 is actually integrated directly into the windows install, regular programs can't do that and must be ran during the installation of windows, so an addon pack for that would be difficult/make no sense.

Majoram

Post by Majoram » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:48 pm

dale5605 wrote:That's not really the same thing. WMP10 is actually integrated directly into the windows install, regular programs can't do that and must be ran during the installation of windows, so an addon pack for that would be difficult/make no sense.
Cool, got it. Thanks Dale!

Millie

Post by Millie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:18 pm

RyanVM wrote:scaling back of the main pack, but I'm convinced it's the best course of action for the long term for both myself and my schedule and for the majority of the users.
As compared to the v1.3.1 post SP2 pack, will this one cover all post SP2 M$ updates?

Regards,
Millie

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:49 pm

Millie wrote:
RyanVM wrote:scaling back of the main pack, but I'm convinced it's the best course of action for the long term for both myself and my schedule and for the majority of the users.
As compared to the v1.3.1 post SP2 pack, will this one cover all post SP2 M$ updates?

Regards,
Millie
Yes it will cover all of the post sp2 hotfixes and a select few popular Special hotfixes. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:56 pm

OK, I'm going to basically recreate the Update Pack this weekend. I've changed my mind in regards to handling unofficial files postdating officially-hotfixed files. I'm going to be sticking completely with only publicly-available files from here out. I think the unofficial hotfixes have done little more in reality than add increased complexity and give us a nice "my Windows is better than yours" complex.

Anyway, patch Tuesday this month is looking to be a busy day (there are 8 Windows security updates coming), so the next version will probably be out mid to late next week.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:03 pm

RyanVM wrote:OK, I'm going to basically recreate the Update Pack this weekend. I've changed my mind in regards to handling unofficial files postdating officially-hotfixed files. I'm going to be sticking completely with only publicly-available files from here out. I think the unofficial hotfixes have done little more in reality than add increased complexity and give us a nice "my Windows is better than yours" complex.

Anyway, patch Tuesday this month is looking to be a busy day (there are 8 Windows security updates coming), so the next version will probably be out mid to late next week.
I like your new idea better anyways. :D The reason I say this is... i think the basic pack should only be the public hotfixes. This way people can integrate only what is necissary. Leave the beta hotfixes for other custom UpdatePacks/Addons. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

RunBoris

Post by RunBoris » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:16 pm

Since the "special" hotfixes will be removed from the main pack, is there someone else already devoted to maintaining a custom addon for these fixes? As posted elsewhere in the forum, a future version of the integrator will allow disabling file protection and removing CAT files, so that would make plenty of room for all the unofficial hotfixes.

If nobody has volunteered, perhaps a rundown of the whole process in a sticky thread somewhere would tempt a few of us to give it a try.

itsme_4ucz

Post by itsme_4ucz » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:31 pm

this is one more request RyanVM to plz complete with all officially & unofficially hotfixes in 1.32.I request u from all members to U RyanVM.

Well
Thku. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:22 pm

RunBoris wrote:Since the "special" hotfixes will be removed from the main pack, is there someone else already devoted to maintaining a custom addon for these fixes? As posted elsewhere in the forum, a future version of the integrator will allow disabling file protection and removing CAT files, so that would make plenty of room for all the unofficial hotfixes.

If nobody has volunteered, perhaps a rundown of the whole process in a sticky thread somewhere would tempt a few of us to give it a try.
Actually the plan is RyanVM will be posting a tutorial to teach people how to make the Packs. So don't worry everybody. ;) It will be better... just give it some time.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Noxious Ninja

Post by Noxious Ninja » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:46 pm

So, as I understand it, this will be only the updates one would normally get from Windows Update, plus just a few others, right? What "other" ones are you including?

I think this is a good thing, even if it didn't make your life easier. :D Less worries for me about giving modded XP CDs to my friends.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:16 pm

Well funny enough, I told people to post hotfixes they'd like to stay in the main pack in this thread, and nobody has yet. My plan is to include all driver updates, whether public or request only. Beyond that, I probably won't include much of anything else.

skitty

Post by skitty » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:16 am

when you post your tutorial about making packs, can you supply a list of the none public fixes you used to add?
at least then we can extract the extras out of the 1.3.1 pack

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:18 am

...they're all listed on my website...

jstillion

Post by jstillion » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:53 am

Sad but completely understand 100%, you put in a lot of great work and you have done an outstanding job and will look forward to your future one too.

So an example of select non-mass public hardware hotfixes would be like the Amd dual core X2 performance issue that's not a general release?

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:32 pm

Exactly. And the High Definition Audio update. And random USB updates.

If someone is feeling up to the job, could you compile a list of all the driver updates that have been released since SP2 (including ones that are already in the update pack)? It would save me a ton of time.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:40 pm

I've got a folder of stuff for the update pack round 2 (unofficial name). Main question is when I'll get it all put together. I've been doing some work on the WMP10 pack as well, so that may end up getting a new version released before the next update pack. I'm still hoping to get the next pack out by the end of this week (or weekend), but we'll have to see how the week goes.

canuckerfan

Post by canuckerfan » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:27 pm

good stuff! keep it up

itsme_4ucz

Post by itsme_4ucz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:29 am

Thanks for u r work RyanVM.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:43 am

Want some help with updating the addons pack??

Link

Post by Link » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:36 pm

I think it would be best to only include all the security hotfixes, all the public non-security hotfixes, and only maybe some important select few non-public beta hotfixes. Of course it should include any updates to Windows components such as DirectX and Windows Installer as well.

Thanks for all the great work on the update packs! :) :) :)

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:24 am

@Ryan, I'm sure we all realize that you're busy with your new life...I was thinking that maybe you could start doing a bi-monthly...like after this pack do a Nov/Dec pack...that way you would have more time to your new wife.

I know I wouldn't mind at all.

Also, please feel free to delete posts more freely...I wouldn't mind at all...hehe
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:18 am

It's an interesting proposal, but I don't think I'm quite at that stage yet. As long as people are patient enough to realize that I can't get things out the same day the patches were released like I used to, everything will be fine.

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:28 pm

Ryan, I don't know about anyone else, but any of the "request only" updates that include multimedia improvements would be welcomed by at least myself.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:23 pm

I would like it if you kept the following update:

KB896269 - You cannot rotate and save an image file in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer on a Windows XP-based computer

Thanks for all your work

Edit And the Com+ Rollup 11 update is also a good thing to add

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:46 pm

I was going to keep the Com+ rollup, but it appears one of the hotfixes released yesterday supercedes it anyway :P

I'll hold onto KB896269.

Sereby

Post by Sereby » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:23 am

the COM + rollup 11 update is replaced by KB902400
there are all the same files but a few versions newer!

xpmaniac4ever

Post by xpmaniac4ever » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:05 pm

can't wait 2 see the new pack...btw, will it be ready in a week or so ? congrats, ryan for all your work...
An idiot tries 2 maintain order..A genius can control chaos

rds_correia

Post by rds_correia » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:50 pm

Even if sometimes it's not so obvious, we do back you up on your decisions.
The same way we will back you up on this one to have more time for you and your wife.
I do believe that Siginet's guide for add-ons will boost up the project as many other forum users will want to participate posting their mods.
Even the translated packs will gain from this decision.
So go ahead and enjoy more time for studying and for your marriage ;-).
Cheers mate :)
Rui

Yep, he's back for good :P.
Axl, WTF took you so long when we needed you so much??!!

GUNS---N---ROSES! GUNS---N---ROSES! GUNS---N---ROSES!

Vhailor

Post by Vhailor » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:50 am

RyanVM, can you tell us how soon the next version of this pack is to be released?
Thank you for your work.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:32 am

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:21 pm

Ryan - I respect you and appreciate your work, but I really think you should consider that when people are anxiously awaiting your next release, even planning on building their systems around you, that's it's not unreasonmable for them (us) to ask you what your current ETA is. I UNDERSTAND that you have a life, that this is a hobby, and that there are other factors that go into the timing of a release, but if you had SOME kind of way people could get a sense of the plan it would eliminate these questions and a great deal of stress on your part and that of the community.

Could you consider an daily (weekly) banner update to your main page with a "Current ETA of Next Release" or something like that? It doesn't have to be accurate, it could change daily, and no one would hold you to it, but at least it would give us something to go on.

It was suggest before (and you seemed to agree) that a mailing list notification (Yahoo Gropus for example) might be used to push new releases? One interesting angle might be that instead of sending out a download link you sent out a torrent link?

Please take this in the spirit it's intended and don't flame or delete me...

Signed -

A Fan

PS I'm still interested, and I imagine others are, in a "pay version" of your packs if that would allow you to justify the time to continue with the larger and more comprehensive packs. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:28 pm

My #1 obligation is as a college student. I'm carrying 19 credit hours this term taking both senior level and graduate level courses. A pay version wouldn't change the fact that my time (and future) are simply dedicated to that.

That being said, next release will be out when nuhi releases an updated nLite which works properly with it.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:03 pm

RyanVM wrote:My #1 obligation is as a college student. I'm carrying 19 credit hours this term taking both senior level and graduate level courses. A pay version wouldn't change the fact that my time (and future) are simply dedicated to that.

That being said, next release will be out when nuhi releases an updated nLite which works properly with it.
Understood, though perhaps it would allow you to pay someone else to delegate tasks such as download updates, or updating the site for example? just a thought, the idea here is to make it easier for you and better for "us" too. :)

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:15 pm

There's more going on behind the scenes than you know of. Things are being made easier for me in many places.