Noob question about Integrator

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
portyporty

Noob question about Integrator

Post by portyporty » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:03 pm

Just joined today - hope this question isn't too dumb.

I want to create a new XPP CD containing the original files, plus SP1, plus certain updates applicable to XPP SP1. I don't want SP2, or subsequent updates.

Is it possible to do this with the RyanVM Integrator?

I'm not a total bunny - I build and service computers, but the extent of my knowledge about integration has been limited to slipstreaming XPP with SP1. It would be very handy to be able to add specific MS updates to the CD.

Thanks.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:41 am

Your best bet is to get nLite. Download the SP1 full install, and all the updates for SP1, and have nLite put it on your disc for you.

It won't actually be integrated, but it'll work. It just runs all the hotfixes during the XP installation phase.

Ryan doesn't make a SP1 update pack, so if you want an actual integration of SP1 updates, you'll have to do it.

EDIT: I just wanted to specify I haven't done this, and cannot guarantee it'll work, but I beleive it will.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:16 am

No the integrator is meant for after SP2.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Xable

Post by Xable » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:21 pm

It won't actually be integrated, but it'll work. It just runs all the hotfixes during the XP installation phase
Actually nlite does support direct integration now. :P

portyporty

Post by portyporty » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:36 pm

Thanks folks - that's what I needed to know.

Cheers.

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:27 pm

UnO wrote:Actually nlite does support direct integration now. :P
Interesting....I didn't realize nuhi added this feature.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:56 pm

Why integrate sp1?, i mean correct me if im wrong but doesnt sp2 bring all of the updates from sp1?
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:33 pm

Some people for reasons I can't figure out prefer sp1 over sp2
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:01 pm

I think in those cases the appropriate phrase is the one found in your avatar :lol:

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:39 pm

LOL Yup!!

portyporty

Post by portyporty » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:39 pm

Guys, the reason I don't like SP2 is that I can't see any advantage in using it. I build PCs; not heaps, maybe one to two a week, but in my experience every system I've put together with SP2 has either had driver trouble, compatibility issues, or just slowed performance.

Frankly, I think the whole Windows update thing is vastly over-rated. I've frequently serviced customer's store-bought XP computers which have never had a single update since they took them home, and they run perfectly well.

So now when I build a system, I install SP1, with all of the available updates and patches except for two troublemakers, then turn off automatic updating, along with about 30 other 'services', according to Black Viper's guidelines. I find that I end up with a fast, responsive, trouble-free PC.

The only downside I've ever experienced from not using SP2 is occasionally a customer's well-meaning friend (everyone seems to know someone who 'knows all about computers') looks at the properties of a PC I've built and says, 'Oh dear, you don't have SP2!' And then I have to explain to the customer that they're not missing anything.

I guess that eventually, given Microsoft's policy of exerting as much control as possible over the world's computer users, I may be forced forced to install SP2, but until then I'll do it my way.

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:45 pm

restraint, restraint, restraint

folken5

Post by folken5 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:58 pm

The only reason I've ever heard of not updating to sp2 is because there have possibly been some negative side effects for certains games (specifically halflife2). Although I suspect those problems have been fixed by now.

portyporty

Post by portyporty » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:45 am

I think you'll find that if you google with 'sp2 problems' or similar parameters, you'll get one heck of a lot of hits.

My point is that I can see no advantage whatsoever in installing this software. If someone can explain to me what benefits would accrue from installing SP2, I'm willing to listen.

In my experience, every computer I've built with SP1 runs without problems. Why would I want to change that?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:10 am

More security slightly more optimized Windows. Couple o' extra features. Lots of bug fixes. SP2 in my opinion made windows XP a whole new OS.

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:32 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:More security slightly more optimized Windows. Couple o' extra features. Lots of bug fixes. SP2 in my opinion made windows XP a whole new OS.
SP2 did to XP what SP4 did to 2000.

x_X'

Really compare the two from boot performance to task performance. The only difference you'll see is that 2000 SP0 gets hit with blaster when it's on the network.

The other differences you can literally feel upon startup. I don't like what XP's SP2 did after both integration and post-installation. I'm hoping SP3 fixes the gaping hole that SP2 made.
Do you have stairs in your house?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:01 pm

SP2 in my opinion is way better than SP1. Sure in the beginning there were issues... but as far as I know... they've been fixed. I install client computers every day. At least 3 computers a day. I rarley ever have an issue... and if I do have an issue it is usually caused by NVidias crappy drivers. If you don't updgrade to SP2 you are leaving yourself open to a lot of trouble in the future. Reminds me of when 2000 came out. People were saying they wanted to stay using 98... for security resons. LOL!

BTW... if you google SP1 bugs you will find them. ;) If you google... big asses you will find them too. My point is... if you google anything... you will find it. So don't be scared if you google SP2 bugs and find some people complaining. There will allways be complaints. It's when everywhere you go people are complaining is when you should have something to worry about. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:30 pm

We're all here for the SP2 update packs...
Why would someone even make a post if they refuse to use SP2?

Man, I hate people that just complain about everything.

An the only people that I know that have ever made this statement are IGNORANT MORONS!!!
Not saying you are but that is the experiences that I have had.
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:14 am

orcoxp wrote:We're all here for the SP2 update packs...
Why would someone even make a post if they refuse to use SP2?

Man, I hate people that just complain about everything.

An the only people that I know that have ever made this statement are IGNORANT MORONS!!!
Not saying you are but that is the experiences that I have had.
LOL!!!! I totally agree with you!

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:13 am

i have never had problems with sp2 and games as stated above, and believe me im a gaming freak i have nearly everyone on my pc.
fifa 2006
F.E.A.R.
halflife 2
doom3
cod2 demo
cod united offensive.
wolfenstein.
return to castle wolfenstein.
medal of honor
brothers in arms.

not to mention over 3500 games for sega emulator.
2856 for snes emulator.
everydamn rom i could find for nes.
and 320 roms for n64 emulator.

:D no problems except for ocassional rom for n64, but this occurs in every os