OEM disk question

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
stevec4

OEM disk question

Post by stevec4 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:28 am

Hey guys, I am reformating a IBM think pad. I copied the i386 folder of the laptop and applied the latest Update pack.
My question is this can I use this updated OEM disk to reformat non IBM laptop? I have an old Dell sitting here and thought I might clean it up. But didn't know if the OEM disks are make specific?

Thanks for the info
Steve

SelfMan

Post by SelfMan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:15 pm

You can allways use a OEM disk for installation on all notebooks. You just have to have a legal COA label on the notebook and get all the necessary drivers. You can also integrate them in to your installation disc.

What can happen is that you won't be able to activate windows via internet but you'll have to call thge activation line.
(happen to me few times, but had no problems with that)

RtOaNn

Post by RtOaNn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:06 pm

One way to preserve activation is to copy the oembios files from the IBM laptop & get its SLP key.

More info here
& here.

stevec4

Post by stevec4 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:36 am

Thanks Guys
Each of the laptops has a valid COA. So it should be all set, but I will readup on saving the OEM Bios files.

Thanks again
Steve

PsiMoon314

Post by PsiMoon314 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:05 am

Hi,

From experience I can tell you that a generic XP OEM install CD (usually XP Home) will work on just about every OEM PC out there.

Generally online activation does work, but you may have to activate via phone rather than online for some systems. If needed then phone activation always seems to work without any issues.

The manufacturer supplied CD may have additional drivers or hot fixes included which might be useful. However I have found a disk with the driverpacks.net drivers to be the most useful.

Using the manufacturer CD may also give you a pre-activated installation if you use the XP install key used by the manufacturer rather than the one on the sticker. Sometimes these keys are blocked by MS and cannot be reused so you end up using the sticker key anyway.

Most System Restore CD's are hopelessly out of date and are not worth using. Use a generic CD with driverpacks included for better results.

Kind Regards

Simon