Making a bootable USB Pen drive as your OS Disc , Is it...

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
hgary

Making a bootable USB Pen drive as your OS Disc , Is it...

Post by hgary » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:07 am

Making a bootable USB Pen drive as your OS Disc , Is it possible?
No sure if this question has been asked, I wouldn't find anything...

Is there a way to make a bootable USB disc, which would boot to the USB pen drive. It would contain all the files for Windows setup, basically instead of making an ISO image then burning the image to a DVD disc, all the necessary files to boot to the USB pen drive, and install the OS.
and if there is can someone make a addon file?

With the price of a 8 GB USB Stick running about $30 (US Dollars) now, it is feasible to put the Operating System and most common software on one stick, how easy it would be have most of the programs that you use frequently on one place.
Thanks

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:19 am

MSFN has a whole section devoted to this with the nesseccary cmd files and the rest needed to do it.

armond

Post by armond » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:MSFN has a whole section devoted to this with the nesseccary cmd files and the rest needed to do it.
Hi, Kelsenellenelvian,
Do you have any link to that MSFN topic?
Thanks.

Proxis

Post by Proxis » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:07 am

SymSpaceT

Post by SymSpaceT » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:12 pm

The following topic on this forum can be of help:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=72433

SymSpaceT

jamesbebby

Post by jamesbebby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:03 am

hi, can u make it so your usb pen drive the main hard drive? so u can put your stick in any computer and it will boot straight into a workin windows.
cheers james

eksasol

Post by eksasol » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:15 pm

I have known about the method by Emanuel Schleussinger. I must say it made me realized how poorly XP was designed to run on flashdrives, it has to be on a spinning disc or SSD. I have a fast thumbdrive with average read speed of 15mbps and the speed its still quite slow.

While linux distro like Ubuntu is quite well optimized to run on flashdrives. I don't think Microsoft is really thinking too much about it, I don't think they want to allow that feature officially. Would make it too convenience for people and easy to pirate.

ccl0

Post by ccl0 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:55 am

eksasol wrote:I have known about the method by Emanuel Schleussinger. I must say it made me realized how poorly XP was designed to run on flashdrives, it has to be on a spinning disc or SSD. I have a fast thumbdrive with average read speed of 15mbps and the speed its still quite slow.

While linux distro like Ubuntu is quite well optimized to run on flashdrives. I don't think Microsoft is really thinking too much about it, I don't think they want to allow that feature officially. Would make it too convenience for people and easy to pirate.
maybe it was b/c when xp came out there were hardly any flash drives and the ones that were available were pretty damn expensive and very tiny in capacity

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:07 pm

jamesbebby wrote:hi, can u make it so your usb pen drive the main hard drive? so u can put your stick in any computer and it will boot straight into a workin windows.
cheers james
Unfortunately you only have 3 options here
1.- use your flashdrive on only machines that have the same hardware config. otherwise you get bluescreen of death.
2.- SysPrep the install using drivercache everytime you switch it from one machine to a next
3.- Install BartPE with the XPE plugin

allthough when it comes to portable OS lifwhacker has some that are way better than xp for those portable purposes.

LH 6 Best Portable OS

--Edit 23-Jun-09 16:08pm
if u use your portable XP disk in a work environment where all machines are standard and conatin roughly same hardware config u will have no problems.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things