v1.5.3 Integrator issue

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
jbob

v1.5.3 Integrator issue

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:51 am

Wondering is anyone else is seeing this? Not seen this before. When running the latest integrator and trying to check the Log I get this error message in a popup window:
"F:\XP_Updates\RyanVM\notepad.exe F:\XP_Updates\RyanVM\RVM_Integrator_1.5.3.log" not found. Would you like to create this file?" When I answer yes it says it's in use and can't create it.

It looks like it's calling a copy of Notepad2.exe from the RyanVM folder I am using. It bring's up Notepad2, which I do have installed, but not my default text editor, which is Notepad++.

I am running the Integrator from F:\XP_Updates\RyanVM\ folder. Not sure why the Integrator seems to be calling Notepad2 from that folder. I tried to delete the .ini files but does the same thing again.

benjamminzIS

Post by benjamminzIS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:04 am

if you haven't already... try opening your task explorer and closing any/all instances of notepad2 or notepad++ or windows notepad (if you even still have it installed) then try opening the log again... or if you have "unlocker" on your system right click the log file and use unlocker to unlock any process that may have it "locked."
_coming soon, don't hold your breath

jbob

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:28 am

benjamminzIS wrote:if you haven't already... try opening your task explorer and closing any/all instances of notepad2 or notepad++ or windows notepad (if you even still have it installed) then try opening the log again... or if you have "unlocker" on your system right click the log file and use unlocker to unlock any process that may have it "locked."
Doesn't seem to matter. I don't have any instances of any Text editor's running. I decided to rename NotePad2 in my System32 folder. When trying to view the log files by using the button in the Integrator I get an error now and the Integrator closes. Notepad++ is the default App for .log files anyway. I can double click the log file in Explorer and it comes up fine in Notepad++.

It almost looks to me like the Integrator is hard coded to look for the file Notepad.exe from the error popup I am seeing. Surely that's not right!

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:19 am

aside from the fact that its kind of unnecessary, replacing notepad with another program as the default text editor has always given me problems. there may be something else going on here, but for now you should try setting notepad.exe back as the default and seeing if that fixes the problem.

jbob

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:48 am

I'm able to duplicate this on more than one machine but not all. Funny but I don't remember this happening until recently. All the XP machines I have loaded I have used a Slipstreamed + RyanVM Integrator for my install CD. One of the standard Addons I use is the NotePad2G by dgelwin. The one machine that is seems to work correctly on was my main system until Jan when I built a new one. It brings up regular Notepad and not Notepad++ nor NotePad2. I think that addon replaces the regular NotePad with Notepad2. I'm pulling my hair out now trying to figure out what is going on between 3 systems.

Getting late...I'll look at it more tomorrow! :-) Looks like I've got to edit some Reg entries to get this all straightened out.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:12 am

I can say for sure that I didn't change anything with the way the integrator writes to the log file.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

jbob

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:29 am

Guess it isn't the Integrator specific however I wonder, does the Integrator call Notepad.exe specifically or does it call the system default .log viewer?

It seems on the two systems I can duplicate it on, Notepad2 has written over Notepad or something in the registry is causing Notepad2 to take the place of Notepad. So far no matter what I try the Integrator keeps calling Notepad to Open the log file.

To add more info, it seems even if I double click on Notepad.exe in Explorer it still brings up Notepad2. WTF? Even worse is when I double click Notepad.exe it brings up Notepad2 and views the contents of Notepad.exe. On 2 systems even! Guess this rules out the Integrator as the issue for sure.

But that still has me wondering what the Integrator Calls for viewing the Log files. If it didn't call up Notepad by default I wouldn't see this issue, although it's still an issue.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:39 pm

I don't think it specifically calls notepad.exe but I don't have the src code in front of me now. I'm pretty positive that it just writes to a .log file. I suppose I could make the integrator create a blank .log file first. Maybe that would squash your issue.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

jbob

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Just to make is clear, the Log files seem to be ok when they are created. I can view them easily from outside of using the Integrator "View Logs" button. The Logs them self are not the issue.

I have since found an example on BleepingComputer on a way to replace Notepad with Notepad2. I tried that which also involves replacing all instances of Notepad.exe with Notepad2.exe and then renaming Notepad2 to Notepad thus replacing Notepad.exe completely. However after that procedure I found that my system will NOT run a file named Notepad.exe even if it is a Notepad2.exe file renamed to Notepad.exe. Isn't that funky? lol

I am in no way faulting your Integrator. But for whatever reason it seems to be calling Notepad.exe rather than my default program used to view Log files, which works perfectly. But this could also be a function of whatever has gone wrong in this system.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Jbob, your problem may have to deal with how MS keeps it's 'signed files' in check. There is normally a backup in %winddir%\system32\dllcache (which is a supper hidden/system directory). If windows file protection is on, what you replace gets replaced with the original. If you have the file protection turned off, it may be that windows is not running it since it is not the "appropriate" file that is *should* be.

Maybe that will give you an insight to the problem you are having.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

jbob

Post by jbob » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:36 pm

You may be correct however I can verify the Notepad.exe files replaced by the Notepad2.exe ones are still in all the proper folders, even the system32\dllcache folder. So either something in windows with FP is preventing this or it's something else entirely. The BleepingComputer site had a batch file that copied and replaced all the original Notepad.exe files in one action to help mitigate the file protection issue. Even an original Notepad.exe file will not run.

Just for grins I tried renaming an original Notepad.exe file to Notepadold.exe. Double clicking it in Explorer and it runs perfectly. Go figure!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 pm

If that is the case, you might have an additional issue of a policy not allowing certain program names to run. The policy is limited in its functionality, but any program of a certain name (such as 'notepad.exe' or 'setup.exe') is not allowed to run if it matches the set name. It would also explain the change of the name and then it running. Go figure ...

This policy is set only for the current user, so check this registry key to find out if that is affecting you: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

jbob

Post by jbob » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:38 pm

For an update:

I just replaced a dead PSU on one of my backup systems. Most of my computers I run hard drive trays making it easy to swap out OS loads.

Now that this system is up and running again I am finding the same issue on different loads loaded with that system. So decided to try something. I have a feeling it is one Addon I am using that is causing this. I have been using the Notepad2 Addon by Dgelwin for a long time now. It is an older Addon and seemed an easy way to add Notepad2 to all my loads. I just created a new install but I only added that Addon and will see if I can duplicate the issue.

I have the Addon that still includes a file that might be the issue. His later version of the Notepad Addon didn't include this file. Will report back.

Update: Looks like that Addon wasn't the issue. At least that Addon by itself. After the first attempt all seems to work fine. Notepad runs and when running the Integrator it calls up Notepad and am able to view the Logs.

jbob

Problem Solved

Post by jbob » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:07 pm

Ok with the help of Mike Myer over in GRC he pointed me in the right direction. He had me look in code65536's version of Notepad2 Addon. He has included 2 CMD files to add or delete the Notepad hijack. In viewing the contents of those CMD files I was able to find the Registry entry that was causing the glitch.

If you look here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\notepad.exe

Under the Notepad key is an entry which includes C:\Windows\System32\Notepad2.exe

This appears to be a way was added to hijack fully Notepad.exe with Notepad2.exe. From the looks of it I would assume that anything that called Notepad would simply callup Notepad2. For whatever reason when I tried to view the Logs from within the RyanVM Integrator Notepad still tried to run. That is how I noticed the issue to begin with.

I'm not sure if that is a valid entry in the Registry. Also as posted above it doesn't look like dgelwin's Addon was responsible. It must have been a combination of mixing other Addon's as well. I notice that Kel's Uber Addon also includes Notepad2 as well so they could have conflicted and caused the issue. I use several of Kel's Addon's.

I have been using the Integrator for several years now and just noticed this issue although I'm not sure how often I tried to view the logs from within the Integrator. I know I have viewed them in the past with no problem so either something has changed with the integrator to cause this to be an issue now or something else occured. Either way I found the answer. Hope this has helped others.