Problems integrating SP2+Ryanpack on XP Pro SP1 ditrib.share

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
phendriks

Problems integrating SP2+Ryanpack on XP Pro SP1 ditrib.share

Post by phendriks » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:12 pm

Hello all,

First of all, many thanks to RyanVM for all his effort putting this together.

I have a problem and can't find a solution on this forum nor the msfn forum.

GOAL:
On my work we use a wide variety of equipment. Some machines are domain machines, the rest are workgroup machines (mostly notebooks).
I want to have a fully operational machine, including all updates and software in about 2-3 hours, with as less as possible manual operations. This must be done by an unattended installation (different equipment), registry settings and WPI (Windows Post Installer, for installing software in case of non-domain machine). I'm thinking of creating a "standard" category which installation starts after a time-out. WPI will be started from an other share, should this be done through cmdlines.txt (mapping drive to WPI-share, start WPI) or during auto-logon?

At this moment, the domain machines are installed unattended wit XP Pro ENU SP1 (with SP2 integrated), automatically joined to domain, registry settings are made, and managed software is installed. Updates are controlled by WSUS, all the other settings are done by policies. All remaining Windows and Office updates are manualle started (clicking update notification icon presented by WSUS) and several reboots are required. All this takes to much time. The workgroup machines are unattended installed, all updates are installed and then all the other software. No need to mention this is very time-consuming... Therefore I want to use the RyanVM update pack for both cases; the difference is made in the unattend.txt and cmdlines.txt

PROBLEM:
T-15 I receive the following error:
window title: Internet Connection Wizard
icfgnt.dll, Windows cannot load the Internet Configuration Library. The specified module could not be found.
When I press <Enter>, the installation continues and in the end the screen is shown where the administrator account can be choosed to log in. Custom graphics drivers ($OEM$...) are correctly installed, all the welcome screens and SP2 Security Center dialogs are skipped as meant to be skipped.

PRIOR TO INSTALLATION:
- Copied entire CD contents from XP Pro ENU inc.SP1 to distribution share
- Integrated SP2 using .../integrate:c:\windist
- Integrated RyanVM update pack (released 30th October) using latest integrator (also released 30th October) into distribution share, no errors
- delete partition, create FAT32 partition, formatted
- PXE-boot, established DOS TCP-IP connection to distribution share
- started unattended installation

UNATTEND.TXT
;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=1
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall=Yes
AutomaticUpdates=Yes

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
UnattendSwitch=yes
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
FileSystem=ConvertNTFS
Background=Getronics_BG_1024X768.BMP
OemPnPDriversPath=Drivers\NIC;Drivers\Modem;Drivers\Video;drivers\chipset

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="password"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=110
OemSkipWelcome=1

[GuiRunOnce]

[UserData]
ProductKey=<removed>
FullName="Testuser"
OrgName="Testorganisation"
ComputerName=enu-wg

[Display]
BitsPerPel = 32
Xresolution = 1024
Yresolution = 768
Vrefresh = 70

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\windist
DistShare=windist

[Identification]
JoinDomain=workgroup

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Components]

Since I changed an existing unattend.txt that's meant for a domain-installation, some obsolete entries (like the [Components]) may exist. This is a test-environment, so don't bother the user-info.

I need this installation issue to be solved, before I can continue with the remaining steps (registry settings (thanks to msfn.org), create user accounts on workgroup machines (thanks to msfn.org) and setting up WPI (again, thanks to msfn.org ;) )

I hope someone can pinpoint my problem and give a solution. I think it has something to do with the order in which I integrate SP2 and RyanVM. I don't know if the CD I received is the initial release with SP1 integrated afterwards, I do know my company has a VLK.

Kind Regards and thanx in advance!!!

phendriks

also included: contents setuperr.log

Post by phendriks » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:36 pm

I examined the setuperr.log, it had the following contents:

Error:
NetSetup: The [Identification] section does not contain valid info for joining a domain or workgroup. Because this is full unattended mode, setup will proceed and leave the machine in the default workgroup.

Error:
C:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\i386\TSHOOT.dll was not copied to C:\WINDOWS\help\TSHOOT.dll because of the following error:
The operation was canceled by the user.

Error:
Setup was unable to process some components because of the following error:
The operation was canceled by the user.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpHost.exe because of the following error:
Unknown returned error 0 (0).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\brpinfo.dll because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (the specified module could not be found).

Error:
Setup had problems registering the following OLE control DLL:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcfg.dll

Contact your system administrator, who may provide assistance in diagnosing this problem.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINDOWS\system32\activeds.dll because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147746132 (80040154).

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\ieinfo5.ocx because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (the specified module could not be found).

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\msxml3.dll] is not signed properly
by Microsoft. This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.
Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

Error:
Setup detected that the system file named [c:\windows\system32\msxml3r.dll] is not signed properly
by Microsoft. This file could not be restored to the correct Microsoft version.
Use the SFC utility to verify the integrity of the file.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:43 pm

Are you installing from DOS mode (via WINNT.EXE) or WINNT32.EXE ?

I ran into this problem too (was testing install via WINNT.EXE)...

Kept getting File Copy Errors, it seems that for some reason, some files in DOSNET.INF are not getting copied from the CD to the Windows temp installation folder when Setup is started via WINNT.EXE (from DOS) or from WINNT32.EXE...

Your CD will work properly if you install by booting from CD.
This seems to be an issue with all RyanVM Update Packs (and I really wish it could be solved)...

I believe that on MSFN.ORG there is a guide to creating a properly working RIS setup, (and there’s a program someone created here called RISult that should work)...

Good Luck...

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:48 pm

n7Epsilon wrote:Are you installing from DOS mode (via WINNT.EXE) or WINNT32.EXE ?

I ran into this problem too (was testing install via WINNT.EXE)...

Kept getting File Copy Errors, it seems that for some reason, some files in DOSNET.INF are not getting copied from the CD to the Windows temp installation folder when Setup is started via WINNT.EXE (from DOS) or from WINNT32.EXE...

Your CD will work properly if you install by booting from CD.
This seems to be an issue with all RyanVM Update Packs (and I really wish it could be solved)...

I believe that on MSFN.ORG there is a guide to creating a properly working RIS setup, (and there’s a program someone created here called RISult that should work)...

Good Luck...
I was unaware there was an issue like this. I will run some tests myself as soon as I can. Hopefully we can find the problem and fix it. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:10 pm

JoinWorkgroup not JoinDomain at least gets rid of that error.

I assume DistFolder and DistShare are temporary?
Is this installing over an existing installation?

Maybe try the exact same procedure with SP2 pre-integrating Ryan's update pack
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

phendriks

Post by phendriks » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:42 pm

n7Epsilon wrote:Are you installing from DOS mode (via WINNT.EXE) or WINNT32.EXE ?
I'm using winnt.

n7Epsilon wrote: I believe that on MSFN.ORG there is a guide to creating a properly working RIS setup, (and there’s a program someone created here called RISult that should work)...
When RIS is used (which is impossible due to the fact we use a 3rd party bootmanager that's easier to configure), there will be automatically computernames configured in the domain. Since the bootmanager is also used to restore ghost-images for our customers, RIS can't be implemented for unattended installations. Also to make use of CD's is not handy since we are talking of numerous pc's on a daily basis.

phendriks

Post by phendriks » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:54 pm

orcoxp wrote:JoinWorkgroup not JoinDomain at least gets rid of that error.
Thanks, I shall correct this and see if this has further consequences
orcoxp wrote:I assume DistFolder and DistShare are temporary?
Is this installing over an existing installation?
distfolder and distshare were filled in by setupmgr.exe (standard XP support tools on cd) to create the unattend.txt, that I further modified.
I assume these entries represent the temporary target directory on the local clients harddisk, and the source directory in the windist-share.

The client has a "fresh" harddisk, no previous OS installed (not even DOS since a PXE-boot image with NIC-scanner is used to establish a connection to the distribution-share)

The distribution share is created by copying the entire XP Pro English with sp1 cd. Then SP2 is integrated (first extracted, then "update /integrate:c:\windist"), then the Ryanvmupdate pack is integrated using the integrator (both released on 30th october)
orcoxp wrote:Maybe try the exact same procedure with SP2 pre-integrating Ryan's update pack
Can you clarify this, please? Do you mean to first integrate Ryanvm-pack, then integrating SP2, or do you mean something else?

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:39 pm

Integrate SP2...don't use Ryan's updates and then install the client to confirm functionality
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

phendriks

Post by phendriks » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:02 am

orcoxp wrote:Integrate SP2...don't use Ryan's updates and then install the client to confirm functionality
I shall try this today and get back with the results of it

phendriks

Post by phendriks » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:20 pm

phendriks wrote:
orcoxp wrote:Integrate SP2...don't use Ryan's updates and then install the client to confirm functionality
I shall try this today and get back with the results of it
I just finished the installation with only SP2 integrated: it worked well, without errors. Also the setuperr.log is empty.
I'm afraid there is something wrong with the update-pack.

Please help, thanks in advance.

n7Epsilon

Post by n7Epsilon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:12 pm

@Siginet:

Actually that issue has been there since RyanVM Update Pack 1.2.2 (at least that’s when I started using the UpdatePack) and I believe I once (long time ago) posted here with a problem about getting a file copy error about TSHOOT.DLL when installing from WINNT.EXE or WINNT32.EXE and others...

I have found that in the DOS part of WINNT (WINNT32.EXE i have not thoroughly tested), it copies the files in %CD%\I386 to %TempFolder% then installs XP bootloader on hard drive with Boot.ini pointing to %TempFolder%\Bootsect.dat and reboots. That launches into textmode XP Setup (which whoever boots the CD directly enters it) and runs through normal course of setup...

The problem is that WINNT.EXE does not copy some files (although they are exlicitly specified in DOSNET.INF to %TempFolder% and does not appear to notice that they are missing), and when GUI setup runs, it doesn’t find these files so I get File Copy Error, If I browse to %CD%, then Setup will retrieve the missing files from %CD%\I386 and continue normally although it will ask a few times for %CD%\i386...

(where %TempFolder% is C:\$WINNT$.~LS (or something like that). and %CD% is the Windows XP CD in CD-ROM drive...

Anyway, that’s why CD-boot works because files work correctly when specified in TXTSETUP.SIF (and DOSNET.INF is not accessed when booting from CD) and WINNT.EXE/WINNT32.EXE doesn’t ...

EDIT: Here’s the thread I started before on this:
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... tshoot+dll

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:36 pm

Yeah, I remember seeing reports on that problem way back and being able to reproduce it. That's always why I've said on a few occasions that winnt.exe/winnt32.exe installs weren't supported.

That being said, if anyone ever figures out a solution to this problem, I'm all ears.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

fly

Post by fly » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:32 pm

I'm sure most of you are aware of this, but I figured I post this for people who weren't...

To update my network shares, I use a batch file and the integrate option of the KBs. A brief walkthrough follows.

My directory structure:

\\network-share
--I386
--Updates
----exe
----_update.cmd

The \exe directory contains all the KB updates I need to integrate. The first time I did this, I downloaded them all en masse from the Windows Catalog. Now I just download them individually, as they come out.

Once I have all the updates in my \exe directory, I run my _update file which is as follows:

Code: Select all

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: XP Security Updater v1
::
:: Created: 11/02/05
:: By: me
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

@echo off
cls
echo Mapping drive...
net use t: %~dp0..
echo.

:: Loop through all .exes
for %%a in ("T:\updates\exe\*.exe") do (
  echo Integrating %%~na
  call "%%~a" /integrate:t: /passive
  if not errorlevel 1 (
    ren %%~a %%~nxa.done
  ) else (
    echo.
    echo ERROR installing %%~na
    echo.
  )
)

echo.
echo Unmapping drive...
net use t: /delete
echo.
echo Updates complete, take note of any errors above.
pause
This file runs through all the updates, then renames them with a file extentsion of .done (so that I have them all on file, in case I need them later).

Hope that helps...

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:13 pm

I too can confirm the problem with icfgnt.dll if the install is started from any method other than the cd.

Infact its the sole reason i am here as i decided to make my own pack to try and get around that problem, unfortuantly i got semi sidetracked here and never got around to solving that problem.

If i remember correctly the above mentioned file dosn't actually exist anywhere on the cd, its a very strange problem.

Petya_V4sechkin

Post by Petya_V4sechkin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:27 am

Hello.
RyanVM wrote:Yeah, I remember seeing reports on that problem way back and being able to reproduce it. That's always why I've said on a few occasions that winnt.exe/winnt32.exe installs weren't supported.

That being said, if anyone ever figures out a solution to this problem, I'm all ears.
Modification of the signed inf files (e.g. swflash.inf or wmp.inf) causes the problem.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:00 pm

aha, interesting.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

nfm

Post by nfm » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:21 pm

Woah
Modification of the signed inf files (e.g. swflash.inf or wmp.inf) causes the problem
Probably same thing happens on x64 but in normal install, booting of cd. I always have included modified swflash.inf in my addons, without patching sfc (breaking wfp), windows would not install correctly

So the only solution may be to patch sfc to correct winnt.exe / installation.
DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR, 510-2Mod BIOS
146 Opteron at 3.21Ghz, 1.568v WC, 3.5Ghz on DIce
G.SKILL PC3200 BH-5 DDR540+ 2-2-2-0 twtr=1, 3.68v
OCZ 520W 3.3v at 3.81 5.0v at 5.11v 12v at 12.61v