Possible Integrator, Addon, Powerpacker Problem..?

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Ghostrider

Possible Integrator, Addon, Powerpacker Problem..?

Post by Ghostrider » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:37 pm

I am having an error building unattended CD's using the new integrator, addon pack and Powerpacker, i started a thread here too.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?sho ... pid=413744&#

I rebuilt using different settings and i still get the error, is anyone else getting this or know whats causing it.?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:46 pm

I just did the same thing and did not get an error whatsoever. Except I did not use the unlocker addons. But I did use quite a lot of addons. Try troubleshooting it without the addons. I know for a fact the WMP1.3 addon works fine. I use it all the time.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:56 pm

Siginet wrote:I just did the same thing and did not get an error whatsoever. Except I did not use the unlocker addons. But I did use quite a lot of addons. Try troubleshooting it without the addons. I know for a fact the WMP1.3 addon works fine. I use it all the time.
Should SP2.Cab show anywhere at all in the new build, i have entries for it in drvindex.inf and sp2.cab still exists.
P.S Nlite was not used at all in the process of creating the unattended Cd

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:07 pm

Make sure sp2.cab does not exist in your txtsetup.sif file and dosnet.inf file. Also SP2.CAT can exist in your i386 but not SP2.CAB.

Actually... are you installing the updatepack too? Because if you are not integrating the updatepack at all then there should be an sp2.cab in your i386 dir and they should have entries in txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf. If all you are integrating is addon(s) and you are getting that issue... then there is a bug I will need to fix. Are you using unattended features? If you are please post what unattended features you are using.

Thanks
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:33 pm

Siginet wrote:Make sure sp2.cab does not exist in your txtsetup.sif file and dosnet.inf file. Also SP2.CAT can exist in your i386 but not SP2.CAB.

Actually... are you installing the updatepack too? Because if you are not integrating the updatepack at all then there should be an sp2.cab in your i386 dir and they should have entries in txtsetup.sif and dosnet.inf. If all you are integrating is addon(s) and you are getting that issue... then there is a bug I will need to fix. Are you using unattended features? If you are please post what unattended features you are using.

Thanks
I think i will re download the integrator and the update2 cab as i am using them and maybe there is a corrupt file because after integration there is a sp2.cab file in system32 folder and i am getting an error where no-one else is..

Update - I can confirm that the update pack2 was only 20mb in size, not 36mb as it should be and the download showed successful and could even be opened... Damn corrupt download was the problem... i had the same problem on 3 computers so there maybe a download problem on Ryans server... ???

TJHart85

Post by TJHart85 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:53 am

I downloaded just fine. Thats what the MD5 hash sums are for, to ensure you got the correct file and all the bits are in the correct place.
Numbers written on restaurant bills within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe.
--Douglas Adams

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:22 am

TJHart85 wrote:I downloaded just fine. Thats what the MD5 hash sums are for, to ensure you got the correct file and all the bits are in the correct place.
I KNOW THAT... However, i should not have to MD5 Hash check a download when it comes from the originator, only if it came from a mirror... just in case it was changed. I was pointing out that there is a download problem as it stops at 20mb and says download complete. This happened on 3 different computers at 2 different locations..that's before you tell me it's my computers fault..!!!! :rolleyes:

Fencer128

Post by Fencer128 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:28 am

Ghostrider wrote:
TJHart85 wrote:I downloaded just fine. Thats what the MD5 hash sums are for, to ensure you got the correct file and all the bits are in the correct place.
I KNOW THAT... However, i should not have to MD5 Hash check a download when it comes from the originator, only if it came from a mirror... just in case it was changed. I was pointing out that there is a download problem as it stops at 20mb and says download complete. This happened on 3 different computers at 2 different locations..that's before you tell me it's my computers fault..!!!! :rolleyes:
Well, it just downloaded fine for me. There's no reason why you wouldn't need to checksum the originator's files as much as a mirror's, as the MD5 sum will inform you of a corrupt download as much as a change in version. Word of advice, you're more likely to get voluntary support from a free source if you're a little more patient and polite ;).

Andy

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:14 pm

We plan on adding MD5 checksome in the next integrator. That should help on some of the problems people may have had with the UpdatePack/Addons.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:33 pm

Thanks, as it happens i was giving out advice when the internet was BBS and Usenet based and modems ran at 2400baud.
I realised that most people were getting the complete file, i would have noticed the failure if i had sat and watched it download but i was fixing 3 computers and creating another multiboot 2003 server CD at the time so forgive me if i missed it. The fact it said download completed ok was all i saw, this should not happen so i wanted to point this fact out to Ryan or whoever is hosting his downloads and also to anyone else downloading...

Thanks Siginet, i appreciate your help in trying to figure out the problem and only because i was so busy did i miss the file size error. PS hash checker is a very good idea... :wink:

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:59 pm

I know there are issues downloading from the site sometimes. I have seen it myself. So I definatly think adding some sort of Hash checking is needed very badly.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:15 pm

It's funny, I don't have any problems downloading from or uploading to the MSFN servers, yet I get reports of others having problems all the time. Alanoll doesn't have any problems either (and yes, I have told him about the problems). Funny enough, the only time he's ever had problems downloading from me was when they were hosted on ryanvm.net :P. (As my FAQ says), I know that MSFN uses some very tough hotlinking protection on their servers (something which is completely out of my control). I can also tell you that my site uses well over 500GB of bandwidth every month, so the fact that xper was even gracious enough to me to be willing to host my files free of charge is enough to make me put up with the sporadic issues some people are having.

That being said, the BitTorrent tracker is up now, so at least with that you know you're always getting the full file with a proper hash. And as Siginet said, MD5 checking will eventually be built into the integrator to make life even easier.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Ghostrider

Post by Ghostrider » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:11 am

RyanVM wrote:It's funny, I don't have any problems downloading from or uploading to the MSFN servers, yet I get reports of others having problems all the time. Alanoll doesn't have any problems either (and yes, I have told him about the problems). Funny enough, the only time he's ever had problems downloading from me was when they were hosted on ryanvm.net :P. (As my FAQ says), I know that MSFN uses some very tough hotlinking protection on their servers (something which is completely out of my control). I can also tell you that my site uses well over 500GB of bandwidth every month, so the fact that xper was even gracious enough to me to be willing to host my files free of charge is enough to make me put up with the sporadic issues some people are having.

That being said, the BitTorrent tracker is up now, so at least with that you know you're always getting the full file with a proper hash. And as Siginet said, MD5 checking will eventually be built into the integrator to make life even easier.
Thanks again Ryan... As you can see i recently joined your board so some comments/threads i missed and of course it all happened when i suddenly get really busy and have to install servers and workstations plus fix a glut of broken computers and rebuild my XP, Server and PEBuilder CDs.... :shock: