Old XP disc to SP3 disc question.

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Fleabus

Old XP disc to SP3 disc question.

Post by Fleabus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 am

Hi:

I have an original, retail/off the shelf Windows XP Home Edition CD.
It is pre SP1/SP2.

To create an up to date XP HE SP3 install disc, can I proceed with using this disc and these available files?

RVM_Integrator_1.5.3.rar
RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.0a.7z
RVMAddons_1.9.0.7z

TIA,

XIII

Post by XIII » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:53 am

No, you will at least need to get the standalone SP3 pack as well (RVMUpdatePackSP3 only contains the post-SP3 patches).
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!

Fleabus

Post by Fleabus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I take it that I'll have to create a slip-streamed XP HE SP3 disc with nLite and use that new disc for the Ryan SP3 integration.

I thought the v153 Integrator would also do the SP3 integration but the manual doesn't prompt for where the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe can be found,
just the I386 (on disc) and the update and addon packs (in a folder I create).

Is n-Lite the best way to get a disc ready for Ryan's?

TIA,

XIII

Post by XIII » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:25 pm

You can use nLite for slipstreaming SP3 (and the update packs), but slipstreaming SP3 can fairly easy be done without any tool.
We are one, but we are not the same... Talk to each other!

Nameless Mofo

Post by Nameless Mofo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:28 pm

XIII wrote:You can use nLite for slipstreaming SP3 (and the update packs), but slipstreaming SP3 can fairly easy be done without any tool.
Speaking of which, what do most folks use to integrate SP3: the Integrator or nLite? I need to update my SP2 source to SP3.

Also I've heard that RTM->SP3 leaves a few files at earlier versions than going SP2->SP3. Anyone know if there's any truth to that? I guess for me it's a moot point since I only have an SP2 source, just curious.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:16 pm

Yes there is some truth to that, but I think they were some of the "less important" files, as well as not having the SP1 and SP2 cab files. (BTW you can delete those once SP3 is slipstreamed.)

I have nothing against using nlite or the integrator to slipstream the service packs into the source, but it is best to start with the "original" install CD. Copy it to a folder on the hard drive. Then use the "full" SP3 install file to update your source. Write the "updated" source to a new CD and use that to pull your original copy from (to update).

Note: The available switches for the SP3 *FULL* installer are as follows:
[/help][/quiet][/passive][/norestart][/forcerestart][/warnrestart][/promptrestart][/overriteoem][/nobackup][/forceappsclose][/integrate:<fullpath>][/d:<path>][/log:<fullpath]

The general consensus of what your full integration line should look like will be:

WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe /integrate:<fullpath>
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:39 am

crashfly wrote:I have nothing against using nlite or the integrator to slipstream the service packs into the source, but it is best to start with the "original" install CD.
Integration of SP3 into Win XP VL (corporate) distrib converts it to Retail.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 am

nope

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 am

Pasha_ZZZ wrote:
crashfly wrote:I have nothing against using nlite or the integrator to slipstream the service packs into the source, but it is best to start with the "original" install CD.
Integration of SP3 into Win XP VL (corporate) distrib converts it to Retail.
Bullshit.

I started with VLK original and have integrated the service packs in each and every way and they have NEVER changed the type of disk...

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:42 pm

@Kel :: agreed.. hence the reason i said nope earlier :)

ChiefZeke

Post by ChiefZeke » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Fleabus wrote:Thank you for the reply.

I take it that I'll have to create a slip-streamed XP HE SP3 disc with nLite and use that new disc for the Ryan SP3 integration.

I thought the v153 Integrator would also do the SP3 integration but the manual doesn't prompt for where the WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe can be found,
just the I386 (on disc) and the update and addon packs (in a folder I create).

Is n-Lite the best way to get a disc ready for Ryan's?

TIA,
You could also you AutoStreamer to do the slipstreaming directly. Latest version is 1.0.33 and a Google search will give a download location.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:00 am

Nothing against any other method, though I also have had trouble using the integrator to just slipstream a SP, but I agree with crashfly. If all you are trying to do is slipstream, why use any program at all when the SP can slipstream itself with the proper switches? It never fails.

Cheers and Regards.

pthubbard

Post by pthubbard » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:57 pm

I just tried slipstreaming sp3 with integrator while doing an update integration and got this error;

"The service pack level of the source is the same as it was before integration began. Make sure you have the proper access rights to the folder you're attempting to slipstream to."

After which the integration seemed to proceed correctly to a what appears to be a successful integration.

I'm using a fresh sp2 disc and the sp3 installer, but this is the first time I've used this, so I'm not sure what to expect. Is the integrated install safe to use?

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:38 pm

umm you are copying the disc to your hard drive then slipstreaming yes?

if not.. then try that :)

TechnoHunter

pthubbard

Post by pthubbard » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Yes, I had copied it to the HD first. I started the integrator before slipstreaming sp3 into the install. After the integrator started, it detected that I didn't have sp3 installed yet and asked if I would like to slipstream it. I answered yes and after the slipstream process had ended, I got the error message within integrator.

pthubbard

Post by pthubbard » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:53 pm

UPDATE: I just did it as two separate tasks (i.e. slipstreamed with integrator first then did the integration) and everything worked fine without errors.

TechnoHunter

Post by TechnoHunter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:23 pm

that would be the method that i use as well (seperate tasks).. havent really tried the all-in-one method.. glad you got it working though!

TechnoHunter

Fleabus

Post by Fleabus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:38 am

Hi:

I started this thread. I want to thank you all for the comments/advice.
I have 4 new LightScribed CD-Rs.

I used AutoStreamer to slipstream my original WinXP HE (no SPs) and WinXP Pro SP2 to SP3s.
I used those discs to integrate RyanVM Post-SP3 Update and v1.90 Addon onto new RyanVM Post-SP3 CD-Rs.

Thanks a bunch,

Fleabus