Upcoming Update for Windows Update

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
ricktendo64

Upcoming Update for Windows Update

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi All,

Please be aware that beginning next month, we will start an upgrade to the Windows Update and Microsoft Update services. As a part of the service upgrade, an update to the Windows Update and Automatic Updates client code will be required. We will start this infrastructure update in late August, and it will take a couple of months to complete the rollout. Updates to the services and Windows code are required from time to time to maintain and improve service quality, reliability, and operations. The last update occurred in November of 2008.

This update will not change your current Windows Update or Automatic Updates settings. It will improve the user interface for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 computers running Windows Update, adding a more visible and detailed description of updates as well as improvements in how users are notified about service packs. This update will not change the look and feel of Automatic Updates.

The Windows Update or Automatic Updates client software must be updated, or you may not be able to successfully check for updates or perform other configured actions. If Windows Update or Automatic Updates is enabled to automatically check for updates, download updates, or install updates on your computer then the infrastructure update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Your computer will not be updated if you have disabled Windows Update (or Automatic Updates) and do not check for updates.

This infrastructure update is being provided in the same way as previous infrastructure updates. For more information about infrastructure updates and the last infrastructure update, please refer to last year’s infrastructure update post.

WU/MU Team
TechNET Blog

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:05 am

Thanks for the news. Waiting for new dll's to complete my last work :P

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:09 am

You quitting m8?

BTW if somebody notices that MU self updates please let me know, I may miss it

newsposter

Post by newsposter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Hopefully MSFT will be expanding their blacklist of known-compromised license keys.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:00 am

When this happens can somebody bump this topic?

x-force

Post by x-force » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 am

Hi All,

Just a reminder, we are starting the Windows Update and Microsoft Update service upgrades today. The service upgrade will include updates to the online update services and the Windows Update (or Automatic Updates on XP) client code installed on your computer. As explained in our previous post, the upgrade will take several months to complete, and you don’t need to do anything on your own to complete the service upgrade. The client code will be updated automatically when needed, if your computer is configured to automatically check for updates, download updates, or install updates. If you have disabled updating and do not check for updates then the client code will not be updated automatically

Monday, August 17, 2009 2:04 PM
But I cant find any link..

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:08 pm

w00t ty x-force

Anybody have the link to mucltui.dll(.mui)?

I managed to get muweb.dll v7.4.7000.81 but not the other one

Edit nevermind I got it, its now v7.4.7085.142

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:46 am

cool, thanks dude.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:48 am

Thank you very much kontini

mf3imp

Post by mf3imp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:30 pm

I tried to implement (actualy update) an addon of the MS Update Engine, but once I've installed the VM and verified the updates available, I found that I required the MRT of January, Internet Explorer 7 and some other quite old components.
Another strange thing, the url was : test.update.microsoft.com (or something like that, but it's important the prefix test).
Moreover, by opening the file windowsupdate.log file, the required version was 7.4.7085 and not 7600 ...
This behavior is very strange, I've checked on the Italian version. Does this happens also with the English version?

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 pm

MU (set to notify in system tray) told me I needed to install a update for virtual pc, but thats because it (microsoft update) checked for updates during install phase, the updated reg entry for my vpc installer is added during runonceex thats why it did not detect it, I did a new check and the update disappeared, it saw the reg entry

BTW the file version only matters if you have lower file versions, does not matter if yours is higher

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:45 am

@mf3imp:
The MRT issue can be resolved by a mrt.exe with current version number or higher.(a stubbed version here.)

and thank you for prompting for the prefix "test", I missed that.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)