[Bug] Mapped Drives => Explorer Crash, ntdll.dll

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
Zxian

[Bug] Mapped Drives => Explorer Crash, ntdll.dll

Post by Zxian » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:40 pm

I just found the magic that is RyanVM packs a little while ago, and I'm trying to figure out a strange bug with the latest release.

Steps taken thus far:
Copy XP-SP2 base to working directory
Used Siginet's Integrator 1.0.4 to integrate RVMUpdatePack2.0.1.cab (exactly as in the instructions)
Added WINNT.SIF file (simple UA parameters, used on every other test install of mine)
Make ISO using CDImage
Install in VMware
Install VMware-tools
Map network drive to VMware shared folders (\\.host\Shared Folders)

When I browse through the network drive, Explorer crashes. After looking in the event log, it gives EventID 1000, saying that explorer.exe crashed, with ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.2180 at fault.

When I enter the path to the shared folders manually, Explorer does not crash.

I don't remember this problem with RVMUpdatePack2.0.0 (I used that one for about a week before 2.0.1 was released). I haven't checked the file version number of ntdll.dll in 2.0.0 yet, if it's the same then there's something else at play.

I don't have an actual computer to test this on, so VMware is my only out. I don't know if this is a RVM, VMware, or other problem. Any help would be appreciated. :D
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1111!!~!!!!!

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:48 pm

im running an install in vmware, ill check it out to see if i can repeat it.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

Zxian

Post by Zxian » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:00 pm

Thanks... otherwise it's just me. :(
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1111!!~!!!!!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:46 pm

I've heard scattered reports of bugs with networking, but nothing that's been solidly reproduceable.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:54 pm

i will try it today and see if it works

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:28 pm

jum sorry but i could not repeat your error :(. i maped and used drives perfectly, but i will test again to be sure. :D

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:32 am

i tried too..no errors....will try tomorow at work ..maybe it could be machine specific..

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:42 am

@avneet25 he only had the error in vmware he has not installed on actual machine, so far i have ran 3 test in vmware and have so far not been able to repeat this error.

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Zxian, Using VMware what networked mode do you have vm configured 2, Nat or bridged, That may be the reason its we cant repeat the problem.

Having said that i dont think i ever got it to work (vanilla XP) using bridged, but i gave up real quick and switched to NAT.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:36 am

Another thing I am wondering is whether or not the VMware Tools are installed when this error happens.

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:48 pm

I am using Virtual PC...and it did happen to me as well
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:27 pm

Are either of you using nLite or XPize? If either of those two are being used, could you see if the problem crops up without using either. It just doesn't make much sense that some are getting it and others aren't.

EDIT: For the record, I am unable to reproduce the error with either a live machine or a VMware machine. And I've tried with RVM only and with RVM, nLite, XPize. All my testing was done as a domain member with NetBIOS disabled, not in a workgroup setting.

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm

I am in a workgroup...replacing TWEXT.DLL seems to have resolved it...running XPize on a clean source to see if it has anything to do with this file
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:59 pm

Complete
XPize does not affect this file directly
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:38 am

So help me God, if twext.dll is acting strange again...

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:16 am

Using VMware 5 with a mapped drive to a shared folder on the host and bridged networking, browsing works fine. Of course, the VMware tools are installed because otherwise you cannot do this. Anyway, no bugs here.
Are you using VMware 5.5?? -- Buggy, Buggy!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:18 am

techtype wrote:Of course, the VMware tools are installed because otherwise you cannot do this.
Correction. You can.

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:23 am

RogueSpear wrote:
techtype wrote:Of course, the VMware tools are installed because otherwise you cannot do this.
Correction. You can.
You'll have to correct the Help File then.

From the help file:

Setting Up Shared Folders
Choose: VM > Settings > Options > Shared Folders

Note: To use shared folders, you must have the current version of VMware Tools installed in the guest operating system. For information on installing VMware Tools, see the User's Manual, available from the Help menu.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:40 am

I thought you just meant mapping any old share over the network as opposed to going through VMware's proprietary mechanism. I can map drives all day long without loading the tools.

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:55 am

RogueSpear wrote:I thought you just meant mapping any old share over the network as opposed to going through VMware's proprietary mechanism. I can map drives all day long without loading the tools.
No problem, however, I got my conditions by reading the first post in this thread. I thought it would be best,when trying to reproduce the bug, to use the same conditions that he described,

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:01 am

but in the first post he says he can enter the shared folder manually by typing in the address, if the problem was vmware tools this would also not be possible.

techtype

Post by techtype » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:17 am

dgelwin wrote:but in the first post he says he can enter the shared folder manually by typing in the address, if the problem was vmware tools this would also not be possible.
And where did you read that the problem was thought to be VMware tools??

CelestialRaptor

Post by CelestialRaptor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:37 pm

Hello all...newbie arrival to these parts 8)

Have just started using Ryan's packs & some addons available from here & I have to say they really are a fantastic concept so big props & thanks to all those involved & give up their time & energy for such!! :D

Now on the topic here, just wanted to say that I have encountered the exact same problem, situation & crash as Zxian right down to it being caused by ntdll.dll & explorer crashing etc when mapping share folder drive in VMWare, with VMWare tools installed & using NAT...
I'm not suggesting though for a minute that this has anything to do with Ryan's pack or addons coz I do use Xpize & Bashrat's packs too so trying to isolate the issue with further testing for my own benefit...
Just wanted to acknowledge for Zxian's sake that he/she ain't alone with that problem! :(

BTW, I wonder if anyone else could possibly shed some light on another slight hitch I'm encountering when going through setup with my unattended CD in VMWare, setup of files being copied stops suggesting that "theme.ini" won't copy so I have to skip that file then everything else goes through & progresses just fine?

Anyway cheers to all & sorry for my first post being exorbitantly long! :lol:
Free to Fly...Fly to be Free!

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:38 pm

Here's the most important question - has anybody seen this on a real system? Frankly, I can live with a bug in VMWare (that would very well be VMWare's fault) if it doesn't happen in the real world.

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:48 pm

I was using Virtual PC
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:29 pm

@CelestialRaptor, Ive never seen windows use the word "won't" Perhaps you could furnish us with the correct error. :)

Also were you using a cd or a mapped iso, ive been stuck with issues like that before and all it turned out to be was a faulty disk.

and welcome aboard

CelestialRaptor

Post by CelestialRaptor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:03 am

Hiya Paul_365,

Been away a couple days but thanks for the welcome aboard & noticing that I didn't actually transpose the Windows error "word for word" :P

In my situation setup was from an ISO file & the error returned by Windows simply states; Setup cannot copy the file: theme.ini
Then goes through the alternatives about either hit enter to retry which gets me nowhere, press esc to skip this file or of course I could quit setup by F3.

Anyway I never used to get this error previously so I'm guessing at this stage the error is obviously coming from my having used one of the "theme" pack addons which I normally wouldn't use so I'll just ditch them again & try to isolate the problem that way... :)

Cheers

Paul_365

Post by Paul_365 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:53 am

If Your using -
Themes_InspiratSEMod_nondef1.0_Addon_dgelwin.cab or

InspiratSEMod_nondef1.0_Addon_dgelwin.cab

Try dropping them, both of them contain theme.ini and at least one of them is flawed, It uses long file names in the txtsetup.sif, in the first part instead of at the end of each line.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:20 pm

OK, so still no confirmation on a live system. I'm not going to act on this until it is.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:30 pm

I tried to recreate the problem in VMware and on live machines using Intel chipsets and ALi chipset (Compaq laptops). I can't seem to get it to screw up on my end.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:33 pm

ive tried everything, on lil systems and in vmware(with the tools and without) and i cannot get this error go figure.

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:02 pm

What was the code missing from 2.0.1 when it was released...maybe that has something to do with it.

I am using the fixed RVMUpPck.inf that was provided in the other thread. Anyone else?
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:09 pm

It was for a typo which was completely unrelated and which has no effect on anything except aesthetics.

CelestialRaptor

Post by CelestialRaptor » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:50 pm

@Paul_365,

Yeah I eventually went through the cab files & sourced out in the end that the InspiratSE etc pack had that particular problematic file & have since ditched the theme pack. Matter of fact I ditched all the theme packs for now as I don't really need them confusing nor feasibly corrupting the state of play when I'm testing things of more importance...

@Ryan, I doubt there's anything to be concerned over in the "live" system environment. Admittedly I haven't had a chance just as yet to give things a try on such a said live system but hopefully will soon.

Cheers