Some suggestions to update pack makers

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
yumeyao

Some suggestions to update pack makers

Post by yumeyao » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:23 pm

I hope everyone could contribute to this thread with the info you know or with the technic you use in your own update pack, for it's difficult to check a non-english update pack release.
  1. KB974266 - it's for pro only.
    Ryan made the mistake on this one and it's been a very long time and it seems almost every pack include it as a common part. But it's definately for pro only, as the buttom of the KB Article suggests, it's for XP Pro, because as some of you know, Group Policy is not available in XP Home and this update is for Group Policy.
  2. KB922120 - consider using a different way.
    KB922120 is the Link Layer Topology Discovery ReSPoNDeR, it provides the ablitity to be discovered by Vista/Win7's Network Mapping feature.

It's a network protocal, rspndr.inf is the driver inf and rspndr.sys is the driver binary file. But WTF is rspndr.exe? It's just an installer that automates the installation. So my solution is to remove rspndr.exe - of cource, this is not installed, accordingly. But it can be added via network adapter properties dialog, or using winnt.sif:

Code: Select all

[NetProtocols]
        MS_RSPNDR=params.MS_RSPNDR
    It doesn't matter whether the item InstallDefaultComponents in [Networking] is set to Yes or No.

This way it's much cleaner because rspndr.exe is out, I suppose.
  3. IE6 and IE8, is the update for IE6 needed?
    Try running Rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll, DoOrganizeFavDlg.
    If you integrate IE8 without latest update for IE6, this command would fail. The updated shdocvw.dll(in IE6 culminlative update) fixes this issue.

shlwapi.dll and shdocvw.dll provides easier APIs than some core-level provides, so a lot of people like using them(includes me). So keep them updated is not a bad idea.

For VBS/JS update, I just added T-13 DelReg entries in my IE8 addon that removes the useless JS5.7 entries.
These are my two cents, hoping people get involved in this discussion.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Yes, I also dont add KB922120 for Home users

Thanks for the Rspndr tip (I think I will continue to use .exe because some users may not make XP unattended)

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:02 am

Yes, but can be installed later manually or during the setup(Don't choose install default network settings and install this protocol).

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 am

It shows up on its own without editing/adding anything?

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 am

Yes. Something like this:

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:42 am

Nice, I uninstalled it then reinstalled it, worked perfect

5eraph
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions to update pack makers

Post by 5eraph » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:27 am

yumeyao wrote:3. IE6 and IE8, is the [cumulative] update for IE6 needed?
Yes, for the reasons you've given. But early on with my update pack catalog file conflicts would occur if the cumulative updates for IE6 and IE7 were both slipstreamed into the same source.
5eraph wrote:You may notice some problems with QFECheck throwing random warnings for each Windows install. Yet another symptom is setuperr.log reporting WOW64.CAT couldn't be installed, which causes a ton more errors in setuperr.log.
Some limited testing since IE8 was released seems to prove that the cumulative updates for IE6 and IE8 can work together without problems. But I will not add the IE6 update to my pack in case somebody still wants to slipstream IE7 with nLite. And I'm leery about adding the IE6 update to my IE8 addon because it's possible that the problem could still occur.

If somebody wants to slipstream the IE6 update with my pack and IE8, they can do so with nLite or use my IE6 and IE8 addons in the proper order with RVMi.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:34 am

Yes, indeed. My Chinese update pack used to be a victim of the CAT conflict. I later discoverd that adding an entry to [SetupHotfixesToRun] solves the issue. In my case it is "rootsupd.exe /q".

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:01 am

In reply to your other two points:
yumeyao wrote:1. KB974266 - it's for pro only.
This is not a problem for me. No Home or Media Center editions exist for XPx64. And it's been superseded by KB982051 for which no XP package exists—most 2003x64 packages can still be used for XPx64 in one form or another.
yumeyao wrote:2. KB922120 - consider using a different way.
I was the first to use the EXE method. :) But I see your point. Unfortunately, the update is not available for XPx64; not that I need it yet.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:46 am

I see. It's out of my exception that there is no KB922120 for xp x64.

kinzy2004

Post by kinzy2004 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:53 pm

I got a question for you yumeyao. there is a ryan updatepack 1.1.5a this upodatepack works super fine with my unattended xp home windows cd why? neither the less its old and oudated about december 2009, but it surpass all the recent upatepacks can u tell me if there is certain hotfix updates that slow the recent packs down? or if this old pack gots somthing that is never nymore included in recent ones? and what if i want to add new updates along with it that wont slow the windows down .thanks