SP3.CAB merged with DRIVER.CAB

Questions about Update Pack making? Ask here.
mockingbird

SP3.CAB merged with DRIVER.CAB

Post by mockingbird » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Is there a way to prevent this? I prefer to have seperate SP3.CAB and DRIVER.CAB files.

Are the actual files in SP3.CAB replaced by updates when running the integrator or are these the same files as the vanilla SP3.CAB file from the SP3 slipstream?

If the files are identical, I can just re-add the original SP3.CAB file, although it would add 17MB to the CD. The reason for all this is that repair installs with integrated CDs asks for SP3.CAB (I could probably just point it to DRIVER.CAB, but I would like the install to be seemless).

Another small question. I assume I should run DriverPack integration -after- Post-SP3 updates integration. Is this correct? Using RyanVM integrator BTW, not nLite.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:41 am

RVMi does not offer the option to keep SP3.CAB and DRIVER.CAB separate. Files in both cabinets are updated when using an update pack. Some files are present in both, and merging the two saves space by eliminating the duplicates. If keeping them separate is critical then I would suggest trying nLite, which does so by default.

DriverPack integration should be the last process--after the use of RVMi or nLite.

mockingbird

Post by mockingbird » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks.

I don't like nLite because it adds its own inf and settings in TXTSETUP.INF.

If I run nLite, can I add the resultant SP3.CAB to the RyanVM XP i386 folder? These should not conflict with the files in DRIVER.CAB and should be the same files, correct? (Assuming of course I used the exact same update pack)

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:39 pm

Sounds feasible. Haven't tried it.