MS Update not getting POSReady 2009 updates at all

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
npoll052

MS Update not getting POSReady 2009 updates at all

Post by npoll052 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:52 am

I have the POSReady hack installed in the registry and it used to work but now it does not:

MS Update per se seems to work - finds a bunch of updates for various Office components but NOTHING "high priority" for POSready. It does offer two updates in the "Software, Optional" section:
Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3112148)
Update for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3020338)

It looks as if MS simply refuses to deliver them anymore to a "hacked" XP. But, reading this board, my impression that it is not the case (?).

Whatever updates for Office or optional components that do come up proceed fine if I choose to let them installed. However, something is not quite right with the IE: when I click on "Review your update history", the page comes up with an error:

"[Error number: 0x800A138F] The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem."

IE version is 8.0.6001.18702 and I tried updating it (KB4018271) and it went fine but changed nothing. Also tried enabling Auto Updates and that work identically: only Office and Optional components downloaded but none of the security for POSReady.

Any idea what I can do to fix it? Thanks so much for any help!

dudeuk

Re: MS Update not getting POSReady 2009 updates at all

Post by dudeuk » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 am

i normally use this reg hack add on and it works out ok...
OnePiece_Add_Embedded_Support_v1.0.0.2_SvcPack_AddOn

i use RVM_Integrator_1.6.1b2.1 tool to intergrate into my xp source

please feel free to browse my files in link below in my signature
Hi All: I would just like to thank everyone here for there continued efforts to keep XP Alive!

https://mega.nz/#F!8nY0iBLK!JEwKcH9mYYy16iOuUrExyw

mockingbird

Post by mockingbird » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:20 pm

With a fresh Harkaz install in VirtualBox, the updates show up... It takes literally days for it to show the updates, but they do show. They are showing up again on Automatic Updates (I have it set to notify but not download), so I'm running it again. So far it's been several hours. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with VirtualBox.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am

It has more to do with not having the latest IE update installed. Of course, it kind of defeats the purpose of running automatic updates or visiting the Microsoft Update website if we must track down that update manually anyway.

dudeuk

Post by dudeuk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

have you ever used power shell on xp ?

Get-PendingUpdate

This function will allow you to query local or remote computer/s and determine if there are pending WSUS updates that need to be installed. A report is returned that can be exported to a CSV file if desired. Please note that you must dot source the script to load the function into memory before using it, otherwise you will be unable to use the function.

Verified on the following platforms
Windows 10 No
Windows Server 2012 No
Windows Server 2012 R2 No
Windows Server 2008 R2 Yes
Windows Server 2008 Yes
Windows Server 2003 Yes
Windows 8 No
Windows 7 Yes
Windows Vista Yes
Windows XP Yes
Windows 2000 Yes

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/s ... 85#content

may need this for it to work KB968930-x86
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=16818

hope this helps some one if needed...
Hi All: I would just like to thank everyone here for there continued efforts to keep XP Alive!

https://mega.nz/#F!8nY0iBLK!JEwKcH9mYYy16iOuUrExyw

mockingbird

Post by mockingbird » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Also seems to be very slow:

Code: Select all

PS C:\temp> Get-PendingUpdate -verbose -computer computername
VERBOSE: Creating COM object for WSUS Session
VERBOSE: Creating COM object for WSUS update Search
VERBOSE: Searching for WSUS updates on client
dudeuk wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Get-PendingUpdate
<snip>

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:08 am

dudeuk wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Get-PendingUpdate

This function will allow you to query local or remote computer/s and determine if there are pending WSUS updates that need to be installed. A report is returned that can be exported to a CSV file if desired. Please note that you must dot source the script to load the function into memory before using it, otherwise you will be unable to use the function.
I cannot understand how querying remote computers on a network for pending WSUS updates could be helpful in this situation.
XP FOREVER!

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:33 am

I have tried every technique for resetting Windows Automatic update and I am convinced that the problem is inherent in the Microsoft Automatic Update Agent which has been poorly conceived and ineptly written. The essence of the problem has been laid out in this article titled 'Microsoft promises to fix Windows XP SVCHOST redlining "as soon as possible"' from which I provide the following quote.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/260961 ... tml?page=2
We saw the issue stemmed from inefficiencies in the Windows Update Agent processing long lists of superseded updates. And the problem was exponential in that each additional superseded item took twice as long as the previous item to evaluate. With lists as long as 40+ superseded items, the processing cost on SVCHOST via the Windows Update Agent had an exceptional impact on client PCs... Upon review, MSRC agreed to do away with the (now outdated) requirement to maintain long supersedence lists and permit a shortening of the supersedence to only reasonable numbers like most Microsoft products on Windows and Microsoft Update.
Updates for IE6 and IE8, Office 2007 and Office 2003 Compatibility pack are especially prone to long scans for superceded updates because of their long time in the market and the fact that they are updated every month. Even though Microsoft have expired the older updates the number of the supercedence links in the chain is still enough to cripple the Update Agent for several hours. For instance the last Cumulative Security Update for IE8 under POSREADY 2009 was KB4052978 which supercedes 32 previous updates. Similarly with KB4011605, the latest Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack SP 3, the number of previous updates that it supercedes is 31. Once you detect abnormally high CPU usage this indicates that these updates are pending at Microsoft's end so you have to go to the Microsoft Update Catalogue and obtain the latest IE8 cumulative security update then go to this site to obtain the latest Office, Word and Excel converter updates:

https://www.manageengine.com/products/d ... dates.html
Last edited by Zephyr on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
XP FOREVER!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 pm

AFAIK, the problem is indeed on MS's end, and they do not appear to be planning to fix the issue. From all that I have read, to get around the problem, EVERY MONTH you need to first MANUALLY install the current Cumulative Security Update for IE8 and the current updates for Office Compatibility Pack SP3, or at least the ones for Word and Exel. After you then reboot, MU should work correctly in a reasonable period of time.

Reference threads:
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177399-lis ... ft-update/
https://msfn.org/board/topic/171814-pos ... p-sp3-enu/

Cheers and Regards