Correct Ordering - XP SP3, IE7, Etc.

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
Selfdestruktor

Correct Ordering - XP SP3, IE7, Etc.

Post by Selfdestruktor » Tue May 27, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi everyone, first post here.
I've used a lot of info here, but not having complete success.

I'm trying to build an XP corporate disc that will contain nearly everything I need (and others in my organisation) while keeping it within the 702Mb realm.

I've been starting with an XP 'Gold' disc (no SP's) and want the following, but just want to check what order you guys would attempt it in:

Service Pack 3
IE7
WMP11
Mass Storage Driver Pack
Latest DirectX updates (DirectX_9.0c_End-User_Runtime_AddOn_0.3.4_-_redxii.7z)
DotNet Framework/s (DotNetFx_All_In_1_Addon_v2.1.7z)
Some settings (unattended): Locale, CD Key, Workgroup
Removal of Pinball and Internet Games if necessary (I think it only JUST fits on a CD if I remove these)

I've got the latest RVM Integrator, Nlite, WMP11 Slipstreamer and Driver Pack Base.

Obviously SP3 goes first, but where to from there?

I've tried various combinations, with various errors like bluescreens, corrupted driver files, freezing during windows setup, etc.

SoKoOLz

Post by SoKoOLz » Tue May 27, 2008 11:37 pm

Try changing your src, or getting the real Windows XP SP3 VL ISO image from microsoft.

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 am

After SP3 is slipstreamed, I use the WMP11 Slipstreamer separately, then I use nLite to do all the rest of the steps besides DriverPacks: I integrate DirectX and other addons (I don't integrate .NET so I have no success stories to tell you in that department, but I know others on here do and have), and then all the tweaks, options and unattended settings. You can do all that stuff with nLite in one run, no need to do only some sections of it at a time.

Lastly, use the DriverPacks Base to integrate your Mass Storage Driver Pack.

Make sure nLite is up to date (they had a silent update in the last several weeks without changing the version number that nLite reports), and also make sure the DriverPacks Base and any DriverPacks are up to date as well.

There are other steps to correctly do all this as well, this is just the way I regularly use.

I haven't been integrating IE7. There was an issue when integrating the original MS IE7 installer (no addon) that a Post-SP3 update for IE7 wouldn't install through Automatic, Windows, or Microsoft Update. It would download but just fail installation. Researching on the internet led me to reinstall IE7 using the standalone installer, and then the update went through perfectly.

I can't tell you on the success of any IE7 addons with SP3 because I haven't tried them. Since any SP3-specific IE7 addons probably include the Post-SP3 IE7 hotfix, I wouldn't be able to test if future IE7 updates would install with no problems.
Selfdestruktor wrote:I've tried various combinations, with various errors like bluescreens, corrupted driver files, freezing during windows setup, etc.
If you still have issues after this, you may have hardware issues such as bad RAM or bad optical drive.
Gigabyte case GZ-FA2CA-AJB
Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P with Realtek High Definition Audio
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR2-6400 4-4-4-12
4x1TB SATA RAID 0+1/2x640GB SATA RAID 0/Misc. PATA
Windows 7 x64

msdemich

Post by msdemich » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:07 pm

I've come to a routine that seems to work well.
  1. Create two folders from the root of your hard drive:
    _XP Tools
    _XP Builds

The underscore "_" puts the folder at the top of the list, making it easier to navigate to. Place your addons and driverpacks in separate subfolders within the _XP Tools folder. Copy a fresh, virgin, copy of your XP install files in a subfolder within _XP Builds, then make a full copy of it. Call the new copy SP3.
    Your folder structure should now look like this:
    _XP Tools
    -----Addons
    -----Driverpacks
    _XP Builds
    -----XPVanilla
    -----SP3
  2. Use RyanVM to slipstream SP3 to the SP3 folder *ONLY*. We are going to use a methodical approach and save our progress each step along the way for the troubleshooting that is sure to follow.
  3. Copy that SP3 folder and name the copy "SP3u". Use RVM to integrate the SP3 update pack (like redxii's update pack).
  4. Make a copy of "SP3u" and name that copy "SP3uMS". Use RVM to integrate IE7 (I prefer the MrNxDmX version) along with other MS packs like WGAN and DirectX.
  5. Make a copy of the folder "SP3uMS" and name is "SP3uMSAdd". Now use RVM to integrate the rest of your addons. (I have never been able to get nlite to integrate addons well, nlite is good for other things though).
  6. Once again, make a copy of "SP3uMSAdd" and name it "SP3uMSAddN". Use nlite to remove components and tweak. (note: If you add themes be SURE to enable the uxtheme patch feature in nlite)
    (note: if you are integrating textmode massstorage packs with the BTS driverpacks, then be sure to remove SCSI/RAID drivers from the components section of nlite, or risk BSOD on textmode setup)
  7. Once nlite is done integrating, do NOT finish and exit out yet. Instead, use the WMP11 slipstreamer on the folder, and finally the driverpacks.
  8. Make the ISO with nlite.
This may seem tedious, but believe me, it saves you much time over trying to figure out which particular step went wrong. I've been building these CDs for over two years and never once has everything worked perfectly the very first time. Save those folders and make new copies of them as necessary. If you have problems, then just go back a couple of folders, (like the "SP3u" or "SP3uMS" builds) and create an ISO from them to see if they work. From there you can isolate the problems.

Selfdestruktor

Post by Selfdestruktor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:23 pm

After doing a bit more reading, it went like this:

XP Gold
Slipstreamed SP3 manually
WMP11 slipstreamer (no updates)
Used Nlite for everything else (DirectX, .Net, IE7, Unattended) (No Updates)
Didn't need to remove the games to make it all fit, but I did need to 'condense' the mass storage and LAN driver packs a bit.
I simply removed pretty much all the real old ones, anything that is really only for servers and SCSI devices.

Came to 701.8Mb..... AND WORKS!

I reinstalled the WMP slipstreamer along the way, I believe it was causing the problems *shrug*.

Thanks guys.

BZJoe

Post by BZJoe » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:35 am

msdemich wrote:I've come to a routine that seems to work well.
  1. Create two folders from the root of your hard drive:
    _XP Tools
    _XP Builds

The underscore "_" puts the folder at the top of the list, making it easier to navigate to. Place your addons and driverpacks in separate subfolders within the _XP Tools folder. Copy a fresh, virgin, copy of your XP install files in a subfolder within _XP Builds, then make a full copy of it. Call the new copy SP3.
    Your folder structure should now look like this:
    _XP Tools
    -----Addons
    -----Driverpacks
    _XP Builds
    -----XPVanilla
    -----SP3
  2. Use RyanVM to slipstream SP3 to the SP3 folder *ONLY*. We are going to use a methodical approach and save our progress each step along the way for the troubleshooting that is sure to follow.
  3. Copy that SP3 folder and name the copy "SP3u". Use RVM to integrate the SP3 update pack (like redxii's update pack).
  4. Make a copy of "SP3u" and name that copy "SP3uMS". Use RVM to integrate IE7 (I prefer the MrNxDmX version) along with other MS packs like WGAN and DirectX.
  5. Make a copy of the folder "SP3uMS" and name is "SP3uMSAdd". Now use RVM to integrate the rest of your addons. (I have never been able to get nlite to integrate addons well, nlite is good for other things though).
  6. Once again, make a copy of "SP3uMSAdd" and name it "SP3uMSAddN". Use nlite to remove components and tweak. (note: If you add themes be SURE to enable the uxtheme patch feature in nlite)
    (note: if you are integrating textmode massstorage packs with the BTS driverpacks, then be sure to remove SCSI/RAID drivers from the components section of nlite, or risk BSOD on textmode setup)
  7. Once nlite is done integrating, do NOT finish and exit out yet. Instead, use the WMP11 slipstreamer on the folder, and finally the driverpacks.
  8. Make the ISO with nlite.
This may seem tedious, but believe me, it saves you much time over trying to figure out which particular step went wrong. I've been building these CDs for over two years and never once has everything worked perfectly the very first time. Save those folders and make new copies of them as necessary. If you have problems, then just go back a couple of folders, (like the "SP3u" or "SP3uMS" builds) and create an ISO from them to see if they work. From there you can isolate the problems.
I do almost the same and I have to agree, doing it step by step is the best way to go. The only difference is that at the end of these steps I create ISO and then load them in virtual CDs to work with them.

benjamminzIS

Post by benjamminzIS » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:31 am

as the detailed post suggests I would always do wmp11 slipstreamer and driverpacks as the very last steps before building your iso... this is very good advice... I have had many a build fail because of not having the right order of these two things...
_coming soon, don't hold your breath

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:41 pm

In the integrator most things can all be integrated at once. As long as the addons were made correctly you shouldn't have any problems. As for third party apps doing the slipstreaming... sometimes you have to be carefull on the order.

As for the WMP11 Slipstreamer I have heard mixed results on wether it can be slipstreamed at any point or last. But I would keep it as one of my last peices to integrate. I also threw together the WMP11 Slipstreamer Automator, which will force the integrator to automatically run the slipstreamer unattendedly at a proven successful moment of integration.

Or you can use OnePiec's True WMP11 Addon in the integrator without using a third party utility. With the true addon you don't have much choice on customization though.

As far as I know there are no issues with any of the current IE7 addons being integrated with the integrator at the same time as the UpdatePack.

So you can easily add your UpdatePack and all addons with the integrator all at once in one single integration unless it is specifically announced in the addons thread. The integrator allways integrates the UpdatePack first and then the addons over the top. It's a little more complicated then that... but that's the simplest way to put it. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:26 pm

Siginet wrote:As for the WMP11 Slipstreamer I have heard mixed results on wether it can be slipstreamed at any point or last. But I would keep it as one of my last peices to integrate.
To share my experience, I always have and still use the WMP11 Slipstreamer as the very first step and never have any problems with all the steps I take.

When using DriverPacks, I always did that last, however.
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Windows 7 x64

kaitsevaim

Post by kaitsevaim » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:42 pm

Maybe it´s not the correct place to ask, but somehow i managed to create a disk, that was not able to connect to internet (limited or no connectivity). Drivers for my network card are fine as device manager shows. Where could i have gone wrong...i didn´t remove anything manually or with nlite that could be related to network.
Most important question is why and everything begins of your choice

roirraW "edor"

Post by roirraW "edor" » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:13 pm

kaitsevaim wrote:Maybe it´s not the correct place to ask, but somehow i managed to create a disk, that was not able to connect to internet (limited or no connectivity). Drivers for my network card are fine as device manager shows. Where could i have gone wrong...i didn´t remove anything manually or with nlite that could be related to network.
I would try to reinstall the network drivers anyway and see if that gets you anywhere. Have you tried a different network cable or a different computer with the same cable? Do you know for certain that your internet didn't stop working some time while you were installing Windows? In other words, that maybe your internet service provider started having some problems?

Just some possibilities.
HIS Radeon HD 4850 512MB
Windows 7 x64

kaitsevaim

Post by kaitsevaim » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:17 pm

i´m connected to internet via LAN and the connection was definetely present at this time. I can say it because i tested this cd in virtualbox and my internet connection was active at this time. Dont think that the guest OS has troubles because of already present active connection on host OS, because i´ve seen that it works good on both (host and guest OS) when i tested another installation... Never mind...i´ll just try on. Maybe i can get this to work.
Most important question is why and everything begins of your choice

HAL 9000

Post by HAL 9000 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:24 am

kaitsevaim wrote:i´m connected to internet via LAN and the connection was definetely present at this time. I can say it because i tested this cd in virtualbox and my internet connection was active at this time. Dont think that the guest OS has troubles because of already present active connection on host OS, because i´ve seen that it works good on both (host and guest OS) when i tested another installation... Never mind...i´ll just try on. Maybe i can get this to work.
If you're sure that is nothing wrong with your LAN and internet connection then probably windows can't find DNS server (a few people i know had this problem after installing sp3). Try to manually enter DNS servers IP address under TCP/IP properties.

Sorry for my english :)