XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack for Windows XP Post-SP3 20180109

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
vioplujjnsjzfg

Post by vioplujjnsjzfg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Looks like M$ has snuck a new one in today....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2641690

Outbreaker

Post by Outbreaker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:08 pm

You simply need to love Microsoft they should rename Patch day to Patch Week :)

vioplujjnsjzfg

Post by vioplujjnsjzfg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Outbreaker wrote:You simply need to love Microsoft they should rename Patch day to Patch Week :)
I'll still take their conservative approach vs the fruit company's denial approach any day.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:31 pm

updated Adobe Flash Player 11.1.102.55 ActiveX Control
added KB2641690 replaced KB2616676

adminadmin

Post by adminadmin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:19 am

the recent update pack v20111110 has critical extracting problem with nlite but v20111108 is clear.
Just want to say......
Thanks a lot...

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:36 am

adminadmin wrote:the recent update pack v20111110 has critical extracting problem with nlite but v20111108 is clear.
verify your download with the checksums posted.
perhaps you may have a corrupted download?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:32 pm

That's a known problem, adminadmin.
5eraph wrote:It has been reported that some antivirus products may interfere with RVMi and nLite 1.4.9.1 when integrating this update pack and others. nLite may throw one or more errors, including:
  • "H-The process cannot access the file '<SourceDirectory>\SVCPACK.INF' because it is being used by another process."
  • "CabLib Extract ERROR while extracting files from cabinet archive: Failure writing to target file"
If this occurs, please disable your antivirus product temporarily and try running nLite again on a fresh copy of your source.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello, user_hidden.

Great work on the updatepack. Keep it up. :D

I have a couple of problems with the current update, 20111110. They are:

- mrt.exe gives an error when being copied over to the drive through text-mode setup
- The video driver doesn't install. This has never happened to me on any of your updates until now. I have tried a previous build of the video driver but still the same result.

Is there any chance you could provide a link for 20111108? This update worked fine for me. I have googled it and did find a link but it says the file is no longer available.

Also, as a suggestion, you should keep an archive of your releases in case people have problems with the latest update so they can revert back to the previous release or for nostalgic reasons. I, personally, would download all of the updates that you have created and keep them archived incase someone somewhere asks for it.

shiner

Post by shiner » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:18 pm

GREYFOX wrote: I have a couple of problems with the current update, 20111110. They are:

- mrt.exe gives an error when being copied over to the drive through text-mode setup
By chance, did you check the MD5 hash of 2011110?

I ask because I got this same error using my first download of 20111110. I checked the hash and it didn't match the one in the OP.
I re-downloaded 20111110, hash was correct and the above error disappeared.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:34 am

[quote="shiner"]
By chance, did you check the MD5 hash of 2011110?

I ask because I got this same error using my first download of 20111110. I checked the hash and it didn't match the one in the OP.
I re-downloaded 20111110, hash was correct and the above error disappeared.[/quote]

I haven't because every download that I had got from user_hidden has been perfect until recently with the latest update so it can't be that surely.

I will give it a go but I am expecting it to be identical.

On a different note, do you have the previous update by any chance, shiner? :?:

edit: Just checked it and the hashes were different so maybe this is just a one-off.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:46 am

Please delete this post as I posted it by mistake.
Last edited by GREYFOX on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

shiner

Post by shiner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:48 am

GREYFOX wrote:
On a different note, do you have the previous update by any chance, shiner? :?:
Yes, I have backups of user_hidden's packs going back a year or maybe more. However, my home internet connection is not fast enough to upload it anywhere. So, if you really need it, I think user_hidden will have to oblige.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:51 am

Great. :D

If you need to ask user_hidden then please do as it's his/her project. :)

Also, I would like all of updates that you have for user_hidden if that is ok.

shiner

Post by shiner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:06 am

Hmmm, we seem to have a bit of misunderstanding here GREYFOX.

I am not connected to user_hidden in any way, and user_hidden and I are separated by several thousand kilometers.

I am sure user_hidden has seen these past few posts and will give you an answer one way or the other.

user_hidden, I apologize if I shouldn't have stepped into this.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:19 am

GREYFOX wrote:Hello, user_hidden.

Great work on the updatepack. Keep it up. :D

I have a couple of problems with the current update, 20111110. They are:

- The video driver doesn't install. This has never happened to me on any of your updates until now. I have tried a previous build of the video driver but still the same result.

Is there any chance you could provide a link for 20111108? This update worked fine for me. I have googled it and did find a link but it says the file is no longer available.

Also, as a suggestion, you should keep an archive of your releases in case people have problems with the latest update so they can revert back to the previous release or for nostalgic reasons. I, personally, would download all of the updates that you have created and keep them archived incase someone somewhere asks for it.

as Shiner mentioned check your download file checksum.
i haven't seen any issues with the current updatepack so please try again and report.

as for older updatepacks i usually delete them since once a new one
is built, tested and verified - the old is gone.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am

@shiner - Sorry. I totally misunderstood your response. I realise now what you mean.

Is there any way you can provide me the 20111108 update? I really need it as I have not had my PC fix for 3 days now and am getting bored and a bit frustrated.

@user_hidden - I redownloaded the update with the correct hashes but still the same issue with the driver. The mrt.exe issue was fixed through getting identical hashes.

I have several more steps to perform before I can make any conclusions. I will report back when I am done.

edit: I have done an install with just the 20111110 update slipstreamed and still the same result. The video driver doesn't install. I even rolled back to a previous version and the same result again.

Now I am quite sure it is the 20111110 update pack that is causing the problem. All of your previous packs have been perfectly fine, user_hidden so if you could be so kind to see if you have the 20111108 update lying around somewhere so you can provide me a link to download it. :)

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:22 pm

@ GREYFOX

the changes between 20111008 and 20111110 should have no effect on driver install.

File: XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack_20111108.7z
CRC-32: 0a22f25b
MD4: 5b2dc7166e5e3faff3132f4b5e9800ce
MD5: d2cc164edfc69091c48ffd83fd45f9f8
SHA-1: 1050ec0152e3bef1e8b3eac9ce167ef55e8a6724
Last edited by user_hidden on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:43 pm

user_hidden wrote:@ GREYFOX

the changes between 20111008 and 20111110 should have no effect on driver install.

File: XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack_20111108.7z
CRC-32: 0a22f25b
MD4: 5b2dc7166e5e3faff3132f4b5e9800ce
MD5: d2cc164edfc69091c48ffd83fd45f9f8
SHA-1: 1050ec0152e3bef1e8b3eac9ce167ef55e8a6724
Thank you for providing the update, user_hidden. :D I really appreciate it.

I know it shouldn't as there were just a small number of changes from 20111108 to 20111110 but to repeat what I mentioned earlier, and I am sorry to repeat it again, your previous packs have been fine until this update.

I don't know what exactly is causing it but this update seems to be the culprit. This is an unforseen consequence that we both couldn't predict so please let's just leave it at that and move on.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Are you by chance using nLite with an AV or anitmalware prog active?

A LOT of users have been experiencing issues that way lately.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:36 pm

BTW, disabling the AV is not enough it must be TURNED OFF.
disabling sometimes leaves the AV loaded but inactive.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:51 pm

I believe latest update has revoked some digital signatures. Maybe eventually your display driver is signed by one among them, leading to your driver installing issue.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:01 pm

I am not using an AV at all as I do a clean install then install my drivers first before anything else.

yumeyao, that could be the issue as it was working perfectly a while ago then all of a sudden, bam.....the two fingers at me from XP :( If that is the case then I will have to wait until the next update to see if it has been fixed which will probably be in Mid-December :(

I am sorry, user_hidden for being a pain. It's just that this has me stumped and frustrated that I can't use my computer now until possibly the next update. :( How about providing the 20111011 update, user_hidden? I can recall the drivers were installing fine then.

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Greyfox, you can use a version that is ok, then manually install latest updates via Windows update, then reboot and install your display driver to see what happens.
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 pm

yumeyao wrote:Greyfox, you can use a version that is ok, then manually install latest updates via Windows update, then reboot and install your display driver to see what happens.
I could do that but what I really want to do is strip the source after integrating the latest hotfixes of all the garbage that MS have put in.

There is a LOT of garbage that I have no use for and want gone so thank you for the suggestion, yumeyao but no thank you :)

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:07 am

@GREYFOX, are you saying that the 20111108 update, which user_hidden provided to you at your request, doesn't work now either? Didn't you say that "update worked fine for me"? Now you are asking for the 20111011 update saying that you "can recall the drivers were installing fine then." Do you not keep the various pieces of the build process, at least the last successful one, update packs and addons, so that you can redo the build again if necessary?

Assuming that you do have. or get, an update pack that works for you, I think what YumeYao was suggesting was for you to help find out exactly where the problem lies, since it seems to effect only you, rather than just keep asking for another version of the pack to try or just waiting "until the next update to see if it has been fixed". Using the pack that works, "manually install latest updates via Windows update, then reboot and install your display driver to see what happens." I realize you want to strip the source of garbage, but if you can help identify whether your problem is due to a particular update or if it's due to something that was done in the process of putting the pack together or if it's some kind of weird driver issue or something else that is happening in your build process, that could go a long way in helping user_hidden provide you with a working solution. You might have found a hidden bug that no one else has discovered, or you might be using a driver that no one else is using. What driver is it that will not install for you and what exactly is the error you receive? Can you think of ANYTHING that is different in your system or build process from the last time that the build worked until now? Could you describe your build process in detail?

If you are unable to provide more feedback on the issue and as long as the problem is only effecting you, I mean no disrespect but I guess we'll "just leave it at that and move on."

Cheers and Regards

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:35 am

bphlpt wrote:@GREYFOX, are you saying that the 20111108 update, which user_hidden provided to you at your request, doesn't work now either? Didn't you say that "update worked fine for me"? Now you are asking for the 20111011 update saying that you "can recall the drivers were installing fine then." Do you not keep the various pieces of the build process, update packs and addons, so that you can redo the build again if necessary?

Assuming that you do have. or get, an update pack that works for you, I think what YumeYao was suggesting was for you to help find out exactly where the problem lies, since it seems to effect only you, rather than just keep asking for another version of the pack to try or just waiting "until the next update to see if it has been fixed". Using the pack that works, "manually install latest updates via Windows update, then reboot and install your display driver to see what happens." I realize you want to strip the source of garbage, but if you can help identify whether your problem is due to a particular update or if it's due to something that was done in the process of putting the pack together or if it's some kind of weird driver issue or something else that is happening in your build process, that could go a long way in helping user_hidden provide you with a working solution. You might have found a hidden bug that no one else has discovered, or you might be using a driver that no one else is using. What driver is it that will not install for you and what exactly is the error you receive? Can you think of ANYTHING that is different in your system or build process from the last time that the build worked until now? Could you describe your build process in detail?

If you are unable to provide more feedback on the issue and as long as the problem is only effecting you, I mean no disrespect but I guess we'll "just leave it at that and move on."

Cheers and Regards
Yes, the 20111108 update does not work too. It must be as yumeyao said about the digital sigs. I remember that for the October update pack, my system was working fine and the drivers were installing ok. I never tried 20111108 and went straight onto 20111110. I believe it must be the Root Certificates Update in the first November release that is causing it as before then, there was no recent Root Certificates Update.

I don't keep the prior update pack once a new version is released as it never sprung to mind that this would happen but it did. I now intend to keep an archive of the update packs by user_hidden.

My build process is pretty much simple:
1) Integrate update pack into source with RVMi
2) Use nLite to strip out what I don't need
3) Test the image virtually
4) Burn the image
5) Install when needed

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:30 am

Why are you creating a "new integrated cd" AND THEN ALSO redo your system with said cd, EVERY SINGLE MONTH ???

Secondly, integrate that video driver & see if it installs fine like that.

:rolleyes:

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 am

@ Greyfox

1 - use non corrupted original source (SP3)
2 - use RVMi to integrate latest update pack ONLY
3 - build iso and install

4 - once system is running install your driver.

test and report. if it works it is something else you are adding/removing that is causing your issue.

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 am

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW wrote:Why are you creating a "new integrated cd" AND THEN ALSO redo your system with said cd, EVERY SINGLE MONTH ???

Secondly, integrate that video driver & see if it installs fine like that.

:rolleyes:
I never said I re-install the system every month when a new update is out. I said I build the CD but only install when needed.

I had integrated the video driver but the result was the same.

Anyway, I will wait and see if user_hidden wants to grant me this last request. If yes then great but if not then I will wait for the changelog from the next release to see the changes.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:41 am

GREYFOX wrote:2) Use nLite to strip out what I don't need
Be care at things that you remove, maybe you removed standard vga drivers ...
Try to do tests and whitout to remove anything. Not all things are to be removed ...

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:46 am

@GREYFOX,

I'm sure that if you can do as user_hidden requests and report back:
user_hidden wrote:1 - use non corrupted original source (SP3)
2 - use RVMi to integrate latest update pack ONLY
3 - build iso and install
4 - once system is running install your driver.

test and report. if it works it is something else you are adding/removing that is causing your issue.
that if THAT causes an error as well, implying that indeed as you suspect that there is some kind of error in the update pack, user_hidden will do everything within his power to find and fix the problem for your, and everyone else's, benefit. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and help in this matter.

Cheers and Regards

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:06 am

@GREYFOX

here you go

File: XPSP3_QFE_UpdatePack_20111011.7z
CRC-32: f266fff4
MD4: ec0bce34a6b8f97229a5b64bf8749e75
MD5: b59a01fa243fed8422cef25d78e62228
SHA-1: 9fa9e47a6e1aa6233d0dc98721ef70b2beb05540

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:58 pm

@ vmanda, I do take care when using nLite. I have been using it for quite a while now and know what to expect. I can get a build down to 180 MB from 600+ MB which will be in working order. As you can see that is a HUGE margin and a LOT or garbage.

@ bphlpt, That is exactly the process that I do when updating the image that I have and it has come out on top majority of the time. There are times when the build comes out bad but that is from my own negligience. The source that I have is definitely original and non-corrupted as I have been using for some time now and have been using with Ryan's update packs then redxii and now user_hidden.

@ user_hidden, thank you for the link and again, sorry for the trouble.

Thank you to everyone else for your comments and suggestions. :) I will report back when I am done.

edit: The driver's are still not installing on the 20111011 update pack. I am going to try just the source and see if it is indeed corrupt. If it is then it is gone and I will get a new copy.

I am really sorry everyone for the hassle. I just don't know what has gone wrong. It was working perfectly fine last week......(sighs) oh well, nothing lasts forever.

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:03 am

GREYFOX wrote:I never said I re-install the system every month when a new update is out
GREYFOX wrote:It's just that this has me stumped and frustrated that I can't use my computer now until possibly the next update.
This made me think you re-loaded ;)

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey guys, I am back but not on XP. I am on 7 now as my initial source had the same problem of not installing the video driver so I will not use that image any more. But it has not diminished my interest in using XP again as I still want to use it until the end.

As usual, I will get a new copy, modify that and use it when I need to. Then I will report back once I have it fully up and running.

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:47 pm

so corrupted source.....issue CLOSED

GREYFOX

Post by GREYFOX » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Yeah. Sorry, user_hidden.

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 am

GREYFOX we do use windows 7 also...yet love using windows xp and an "apparent" trouble that an user encounters WILL NOT suffice to determine us engulf "the latest in performance and stability..bla bla" as MS urges !
First of all I am tired seeing the lofty windows 7 ASKING ME TO CONFIRM whether a certain piece of software got installed ok or not !!! This is a silent error...inherited from Vista...when MS itself wasn't able to deal with the big change implemented in the new platform to be compatible with all the software...ONLY that that error has become more friendly now and allows user to tell to the monster OS "the latest..." that it is all ok installed or not..track the behaviour and eventually report it back to MS... so I am sorry if I say...there is something else you had in view..and not the u_h's update pack... we are all over asaulted by this kind of cheap advertising...this might be the last place unintoxicated...well not anymore...you should be naming the video card and the driver version from the very beginning to clear the issue :D maybe you missed to provide the chipset driver first or gart...something...that might be a cause of a system not detecting the need for certain video driver...

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm

ok guys for more on 5eraph's Experimental addon goto here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9401

laddanator

Post by laddanator » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Question. I have been using this pack forever and I do love it but time to time later updates from MS Update will not install. I can download the KB numbers and install manual and they seem to install but they never do. Still shows up in MS Update. I dont have a specific KB number but what causes future updates not to be installed from MS Update?
"I'LL BE BACK"

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 pm

laddanator wrote:Question. I have been using this pack forever and I do love it but time to time later updates from MS Update will not install. I can download the KB numbers and install manual and they seem to install but they never do. Still shows up in MS Update. I dont have a specific KB number but what causes future updates not to be installed from MS Update?
I have never had a failed install from MU/WU on systems with my updatepack.

It would be better if you can specifically let me know what update/hotfix
you are reffering to in order to see if it is for Windows, .Net, WMP......?

laddanator

Post by laddanator » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Not updates in your pack. I have two KB numbers I will post. Say in this case I used your Oct pack and then on patch Tuesday in Nov, there are two updates that will not install. I will post the numbers. Every now and then I will have one I reloaded and three or four months later I get a call that an update or two will not update. Just wondering if its something or the way we slipstream updates for XP that may cause this
"I'LL BE BACK"

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:46 pm

laddanator wrote:Not updates in your pack. I have two KB numbers I will post. Say in this case I used your Oct pack and then on patch Tuesday in Nov, there are two updates that will not install. I will post the numbers. Every now and then I will have one I reloaded and three or four months later I get a call that an update or two will not update. Just wondering if its something or the way we slipstream updates for XP that may cause this
I have seen before updates not installing on some dotNet stuff but not
on WindowsXP itself. Perhaps the KB's are dotNet specific and not Windows.

Let me know when it happens and i'll check it out.

laddanator

Post by laddanator » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:03 pm

Let me know when it happens and i'll check it out.
I wrote down two KB numbers but left them at work. I will post them Monday. They had something to do with 2003 Server, I think. From here out I will write down any that do this and report. I am not trying to complain at all. Love your pack and have use it since day one and its not often this happens.
"I'LL BE BACK"

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:59 pm

it is a known issue when for example you install ms office suite older than the 2007 version over xp, use some older apps or some infection that prohibit registering essential files, altering registry info, disabling services, enforcing lower rights priviledges.
or maybe a registry utility deleting more than it should be
it does that even after a clean xp reinstallation ?

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:27 pm

If a local user cannot authenticate as himself...the installation will fail due to network access security policy applied to the system

for a remote installation you have to change the authentication from guest (account ) to administrator account with administrator privileges, a remote installation will fail if encounters guest account

also set remote registry to manual instead of disable...or let it as default, which is enabled (start automatic), i guess

and the server service must be running to deploy the software installation on a remote computer

you may also have hidden administrative shares missing...in action :)

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:53 pm

Microsoft Update Web Control 7.4.7600.243 ;)

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 am

vodacuza wrote:Microsoft Update Web Control 7.4.7600.243 ;)
already integrated in my local beta.

vodacuza

Post by vodacuza » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:20 pm

OMG it's comin' ... Image !

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:27 pm

updated Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool v4.3.5701
updated Microsoft Windows Update Web Control 7.4.7600.243
updated KB931125 Root Certificates Update (November 2011)
added KB2618444 replaced KB2586448
added KB2618451 replaced KB2562937
added KB2619339
added KB2620712 replaced KB2507938
added KB2624667
added KB2633171
added KB2633952 replaced KB2570791
added KB2639417 replaced KB2567053
Last edited by user_hidden on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.