Unsure of what I'm doing?

Windows XP Professional Update Pack discussion.
johnmw1

Unsure of what I'm doing?

Post by johnmw1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Hi,

Am trying to create a new up to date XP cd using OnePiece's update pack.

First up I have followed instuctions to the best of my ability but hey I'm not so sure about my ability.

This is a copy of my current log file and local time is now 10.06am and as you can see not a lot has happened since 8.58..................It just seems to be frozen even though it seems there is a lot of HDD activity in the background.

2011-12-04_08.50.32
Log Startup @ 08:50:32 local time, on December 04, 2011.

Running OS: WIN_XP Service Pack 3 X86
RVMIntegrator v1.6

"C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temp\$$_49179\RVM_Integrator_1.6.exe"

08:51:10 - English - Windows XP Home x86 - OEM SP1 Found
08:52:01 -
08:52:01 - Source Drive = C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\XP Original
08:52:01 - Destination Drive = C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\XP Final
08:52:01 - Destination Size = 192.90 GB
08:52:01 - Working Directory = C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\XP Final\I386
08:52:01 - Temp Directory = C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\XP Final\I386\rvmtemp
08:52:01 - Starting Integration
08:52:01 - Copying Files To The Destination Directory.
08:52:01 - Copying Working Directory...
08:58:07 - 6192 Files Copied in 365 Seconds
08:58:07 -
08:58:07 - Checking Destination For OS Type.
08:58:07 - English - Windows XP Home x86 - OEM SP1 Found
08:58:08 -
08:58:08 - Extracting OnePiece_Windows_XP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_v5.2.0_ENU-1.7z

Cheers,
John

johnmw1

Post by johnmw1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:21 pm

OK, I got a bit further this time as it had indeed frozen, so I went through the same process again.

This time it did extract OnePieces update pack and then asked for my SP3 update which I have loaded on my desktop in another folder. Soon after I got an error message...........

"The service pack level of the source is the same as it was before integration began. Make sure you have the proper access rights to the folder you're attempting to slipstream to."

I'm lost?

Cheers,
John

mooms

Post by mooms » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Check the md5 of OnePiece_Windows_XP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_v5.2.0_ENU-1.7z (or test it with 7zip or Winrar)

Also, set your work folders on the root of your drive instead of the desktop, and avoid spaces in the foler's name.

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:54 pm

mooms thats not the issue.

His source is NOT sp3 and the intgegrator is not integrating it right.

I would get your source integrated to sp3 pre anything else and save that as a new clean source.

johnmw1

Post by johnmw1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:57 pm

mooms wrote:Check the md5 of OnePiece_Windows_XP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_v5.2.0_ENU-1.7z (or test it with 7zip or Winrar)

Also, set your work folders on the root of your drive instead of the desktop, and avoid spaces in the foler's name.
Hi Mooms,

Thanks for your help.
What or how do you check the md5, and also what do you mean by setting your folders on the root of your drive?

Sorry I'm quite clueless. :oops:

Cheers,
John

johnmw1

Post by johnmw1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:01 pm

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:mooms thats not the issue.

His source is NOT sp3 and the intgegrator is not integrating it right.

I would get your source integrated to sp3 pre anything else and save that as a new clean source.
Hi Kels,

That may have been my next question. :) By what you are saying I should incorporate SP3 into my XP original file before then trying to add OnePieces updates?

Cheers,
John

user_hidden

Post by user_hidden » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:18 pm

you are trying to integrate a POST SP3 update pack to an SP1 image.
update your original image to SP3 and then run the updatepack integration.

johnmw1

Post by johnmw1 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:22 pm

user_hidden wrote:you are trying to integrate a POST SP3 update pack to an SP1 image.
update your original image to SP3 and then run the updatepack integration.
Thanks User_Hidden I'm working on that right now. :D

Cheers,
John

johnmw1

Post by johnmw1 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:06 am

OK,

Thanks to everyone's help I have now been able to integrate SP3 with OnePiece's update pack. I took awhile a long while in fact but now I'm there sort of.

Next step is to make the ISO and this is where it asks for the finished I386 directory and the ISO location and file name. I have looked at the walkthru at Siginet Software but all it says is coming soon?

I assume the finished I386 directory is the one I have just created but what about the ISO location etc, where do I find that. And also is there somewhere that the unattended details like product keys, time zones, and the like can be added or is that only available in nLite?

Cheers,
John

Botus

Post by Botus » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:42 am

i386 is as you say the one you just made the iso doesn't yet exist so put it where you want. Or if it got made and you don't know where it is search for .iso made today (it gets dumped in C:\ as std I think)

nlite would be simplest way for non experts to add key and remove stuff. It can also be used to make the/another iso once u add the key etc.

Note: using onepieces update, it won't fit on a CD anymore, (so some of the simple bits like removing media samples and windows tour to get 30 meg of disc space back is not much use....as its 300 to 400 meg bigger with all the dot net bits etc.)

If you want to keep to an install that fits on a cd u need to use u_h's update pack and leave some/most of dot net stuff out and miss out most non windows stuff like acrobat reader, java etc. Or create non standard install with lots of windows stuff missing which can be done using nlite but it will bring u loads of issues trying to get it right.

Once you have to make it with a DVD the next bit you can try (always last) is to use the excellent work at driverpacks to put some modern drivers in your install (these days mass storage and chipset might as well be on the disc as a min requirement)

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/windows/xp/x86

As for the ISO name use the same name your orig windows disk had but make sure you use SP3 not SP1 you started out with

mooms

Post by mooms » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 am

Kelsenellenelvian wrote:mooms thats not the issue.

His source is NOT sp3.
Lol, missed that part ! :oops:
Botus wrote:i386 is as you say the one you just made the iso doesn't yet exist so put it where you want. Or if it got made and you don't know where it is search for .iso made today (it gets dumped in C:\ as std I think)

nlite would be simplest way for non experts to add key and remove stuff. It can also be used to make the/another iso once u add the key etc.

Note: using onepieces update, it won't fit on a CD anymore, (so some of the simple bits like removing media samples and windows tour to get 30 meg of disc space back is not much use....as its 300 to 400 meg bigger with all the dot net bits etc.)

If you want to keep to an install that fits on a cd u need to use u_h's update pack and leave some/most of dot net stuff out and miss out most non windows stuff like acrobat reader, java etc. Or create non standard install with lots of windows stuff missing which can be done using nlite but it will bring u loads of issues trying to get it right.
You can remove a lot with nLite without causing any issues.

If you don't want to use nLite, you can safely delete the following folders:

DOCS
DOTNETFX
SUPPORT
VALUEADD
I386\WIN9XMIG
I386\WIN9XUPG

that's more of 100 MB of space wasted, as none of these folders is needed in a normal XP install. (some folders may not exist in your XP CD)

If you want more room, you can delete
I386\LANG
That's another 100 MB but you may need language support so be carefull.

Botus wrote:Once you have to make it with a DVD the next bit you can try (always last) is to use the excellent work at driverpacks to put some modern drivers in your install (these days mass storage and chipset might as well be on the disc as a min requirement)

http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/windows/xp/x86

As for the ISO name use the same name your orig windows disk had but make sure you use SP3 not SP1 you started out with
Yes, Driverpacks are very good to make an universal XP install disc.
I advice to integrate only Chipset, lan/wifi and mass storage, it is enough to have an operational XP.
Audio and video drivers are very big and slow to decompress and install can be buggy, the best choice is to manually install them once XP installed.

With this setup, i can still use a CD (and i add a lot of addons, like dotnet 2->3.5) to burn XP.

Another solution is to use an USB key to install XP, see this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444- ... -with-gui/

johnmw1

Post by johnmw1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi Botus & Mooms,

Thanks for the replies and sorry I did not manage to get back to answer yesterday.

As it turned out creating the ISO was quite simple as I blindly pressed the "Make" button and it did it's thing and then put the ISO on the desktop. I just then hit the ISO shortcut and ImageBurn opened up automatically and burnt my new disc.

I will now go back to nLite to add the extras to create my final disc.

Mooms you only recommend to integrate Chipset, lan/wifi and mass storage, not CPU as well?

I also looked at that other link Mooms and thanks but no thanks, 78 pages long, and I have had enough issues trying to learn this let alone something else. :D

Cheers,
John

mark strelecki

Post by mark strelecki » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:18 pm

I've experimented with other apps that were supposed to put the XP setup files on a USB but was never successful getting them to work. I am working mostly with WIN7/8 now, but XP holds a very special place in my technical heart.

I'm gonna try the "78 page special" and see what happens!

Already got my nLite chops, now to try something different. Thank mooms for the lead. I love this forum.

MARK STRELECKI
Atlanta, GA. USA