How do I use these "switchless installer" packs?

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
Allistah

How do I use these "switchless installer" packs?

Post by Allistah » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:13 pm

Ok, I've used the RVM Integrator. It worked well. Now I want to integrate the .NET packs, etc. I guess I'm just too retarded to figure out how to get these in the install CD so that they'll be installed with the OS.

What am I missing? I couldn't see any way to point to them in the Integrator program.

If someone could point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Allistah

TokSik

Post by TokSik » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:29 am

Integration Instructions:

Integrate these add-ons as :--
hotfixes with nLite
or as
add-ons with RVM Integrator.

They will be silently installed during Windows setup.

nirly

Post by nirly » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:09 pm

well i want to integrate the jre and .not framework,
i don't understand how to do it in RVM integrator, and when i add the files as hotfixes in nlite it gives me an error...
how exactly do i do this?

cromat

Post by cromat » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:19 pm

You write
Integrate these add-ons as :--
hotfixes with nLite
, but with all of them nlite returns error of msiexec that something is wrong with them(and shows possible parameters)
I have latest version of nlite, but with previous were problems too...

TokSik

Post by TokSik » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:56 pm

I've had the same problems myself and have searched everywhere on the forum for some type of instruction to get this to work. The only instruction I found was the instruction from the top of the page on this post

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641

where it says :--

Integration Instructions:
Integrate them as hotfixes with nLite 1.0 RC3, or as addons with RVM Integrator 1.0.4. They will be silently installed during Windows setup.

However, there is another program that does let you add switchless installer apps to your compilation AFTER you've done everything with Nlite. Go to :--

http://maxxpsoft.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

and download UnAttended XP I used this to add all my silent install apps after I had used Nlite to update with the service packs and WinXP update cabs. I found Nlite does the update integration and tweaking parts of making an updated install disk better (and easier to understand), whereas using UnAttended XP was better to use to add any silent or switchless installer app (there are rakes more apps that can be installed with the info on the above forum).

Another alternative is XPcreate, found at
http://xpcreate.com/directories.htm
This will do the same as above

Good luck

pyroman1

Post by pyroman1 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:57 pm

To clarify, we can add EXE files (e.g. dotnet2.exe, etc) to the Chose AddOn Pack CABs section of the integrator? How is this so if the integrator specifically looks for CABs?

I think the original poster is asking how to use the switchless installer EXE files located on the main page to install these programs during setup. I know that I have just spent the better part of an hour looking and all I can find is something about editing the SVCPACK.INF. The problem is mine is compressed and I can't seem to find a way to uncompress, modify and recompress it.
God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion…What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is its natural manure. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Aserone

[Tutorial] Cab files with cabarc.exe

Post by Aserone » Thu May 11, 2006 4:43 am

pyroman1 wrote:To clarify, we can add EXE files (e.g. dotnet2.exe, etc) to the Chose AddOn Pack CABs section of the integrator? How is this so if the integrator specifically looks for CABs?

I think the original poster is asking how to use the switchless installer EXE files located on the main page to install these programs during setup. I know that I have just spent the better part of an hour looking and all I can find is something about editing the SVCPACK.INF. The problem is mine is compressed and I can't seem to find a way to uncompress, modify and recompress it.
To uncompress it you can use 7-Zip/Winrar/Universal Extractor/Extract.exe,cabarc.exe from cab sdk, and alot more. I would recommend 7-Zip for ease of use. If you just cab the *.exe up first the integrator/nLite will modify the SVCPACK.INF file for you!

This is an example on how to turn an *.exe into a cab Addon:

First make an Entries_somename.ini somewere:

Code: Select all

[general]
builddate	=2006/05/11
description	=********
language	=English
title		=********
version		=********
website		=http://www.RyanVM.net

[EditFile]
I386\SVCPACK.INF,SetupHotfixesToRun,AddProgram

[AddProgram]
********.exe
Copy the code above to your entries.ini file. Change "********" to what you feel is appropriate (make sure the extension is *.ini and not *.ini.txt). Under [AddProgram] paste the name of your *.exe file.

Next copy the *.exe file you would like to make into an addon to a new folder from the inifile named "SVCPACK". Like this:
folder=:
Entries_somename.ini

folder\SVCPACK=:
********.exe
Then download the Micro$oft cab sdk, direct link --> cabsdk.exe

Copy cabarc.exe and makecab.exe from the "bin" directory to a "path" directory (e.g. Path=X:\WINDOWS\system32;X:\WINDOWS;X:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem), like "%windir%" or "%windir%\system32".

Open a commandpromt (run --> cmd) cd to your entries.ini file and run this command:

Code: Select all

cabarc -p -r -m LZX:21 n Somename_Addon.cab *
The cabarc switches:
-p- -Preserve path names (absolute paths not allowed)
-r- -Recurse into subdirectories when adding files (see -p also)

-m- -Set compression type [LZX:<15..21>|MSZIP|NONE], (default is MSZIP)

-N- -Create new cabinet (e.g. cabarc n test.cab *.c app.mak *.h)
And your all done. Now just integrate with your favorite program!

Hope it helps. ;)

Edit: Maybe the forum is in need of a tutorial? I thought there already existed one for this. :?
Edit: Just wanted to point out that dotnet2 can't run from SVCPACK.INF @ T13, like most of you probably already know.
Last edited by Aserone on Wed May 17, 2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu May 11, 2006 1:56 pm

There is allready a Dot net 1.1 + 2.0 Addonpack on the forums. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

Aserone

Post by Aserone » Thu May 11, 2006 2:56 pm

Siginet wrote:There is allready a Dot net 1.1 + 2.0 Addonpack on the forums. ;)
Yeah I know. I'm the master of pointless ranting.

I hope someone finds it useful atleast. hehe
//Aserone-Foxy | EULA: Everything I say/post is a lie and/or forwarded from swim.

pyroman1

Post by pyroman1 » Thu May 11, 2006 5:05 pm

Aserone wrote:I hope someone finds it useful atleast. hehe
Absolutely, thanks! I'll have to give it a try when I am at work tomorrow.
God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion…What country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is its natural manure. ~ Thomas Jefferson

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:21 pm

Or...
U can use CrèateurAddon :arrow: viewtopic.php?t=2213
Just go to the "Program(s)" TAB not "Program(s) 2"... ADD your SWITCHLESS INSTALLER and leave the switch "blank" (only do this with switchless installers) then hit CREATE ADDON and Voilà :!: ... u have an addon.

maveric73ph

Post by maveric73ph » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:53 am

Siginet wrote:There is allready a Dot net 1.1 + 2.0 Addonpack on the forums. ;)

where is it? please post a link.

thanks!!!

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:42 am

Does anybody know were i can find a list of silent switches for NON switchless installers to use with CrèateurAddon?...for programs like Diskeeper, Internet Download Accelerator, etc. etc. (I alredy know about universal silent switch finder addon)
OH!!! and someone shloud make an addon for CrèateurAddon justy like Kels did for RyanVM Integrator
:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=1020&highlight=release+ ... ator+addon
maveric73ph wrote:where is it? please post a link.
thanks!!!
Here is the link to the dot net addons viewtopic.php?t=2270

maveric73ph

Post by maveric73ph » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:48 am

ricktendo64 wrote:Or...
U can use CrèateurAddon :arrow: viewtopic.php?t=2213
Just go to the "Program(s)" TAB not "Program(s) 2"... ADD your SWITCHLESS INSTALLER and leave the switch "blank" (only do this with switchless installers) then hit CREATE ADDON and Voilà :!: ... u have an addon.
hey rick, thx for the great tip! this will really make it easy for noobs like me!! i presume that you have used this quite a lot. i only have 3 questions for u... can i put in more than 1 switchless rvm installer? how do i name the files? did you experience any problems when using the rvm integrator?

thanks again man.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:44 am

maveric73ph check ur inbox i pm u the answers