Acrobat Reader 7 Package Problem

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
Powerhouse

Acrobat Reader 7 Package Problem

Post by Powerhouse » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:03 am

RyanVM

Your Adobe Reader 7 Switchless installer appears to work fine, until you try to make a change to it after it's installed.

For example, start Acrobat reader 7, goto Edit\Properties and in the Properties page, select Internet. Then Uncheck "Display PDF in Browser", it will work its magic and close the Properties page. Now go back into Properties, and put a check in "Display PDF in Browser". It will start to work, then it stops looking for the acroread7.msi file in C:\Temp\7zS222.

Haven't read any posts about other having this issue, and I just downloaded the file from your site again to verify I was using the latest one.

dhoffman_98

Still a problem...

Post by dhoffman_98 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:39 pm

I'm apparently having the exact same problems.

I did a clean install of a brand new unattended XP Installation. Then I used Ryan's Switchless Installer and installed Acrobat 7.0.5.

One example of how I can reproduce the problem:

After installation, I go into the settings and select the Internet settings and I turn OFF the checkbox for "Display PDF in browser". It goes through some configuration and then the screen clears. I then can go back into the same settings screen, and turn the check-box back to ON and then it tries to do the configuration again, but this time I get an error message saying that it's looking for a file called "reader.msi" in a folder under my TEMP directory. Since it can't find that, I click CANCEL and then I get an error message that says:

"Error 1706: No valid source could be found for product Adobe Reader 7.0.5. The Windows Installer cannot continue."

So I'm not the only one having the problem, but I don't see many (actually I don't see ANY) responses since this was first reported.

Anyone else seeing this? Is there something that I am missing? Where is the reader.msi file? How can I get just that file and put it in my system so that changes to Acrobat can be managed?

dhoffman_98

It gets interesting...

Post by dhoffman_98 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:56 pm

OK, I tried something...

WHILE Ryan's installer was installing Acrobat, I went into my TEMP directory and found the subdirectory where the installation stuff was unpacked and copied that whole directory to another location.

After the install was done, the new temp directory is deleted, but somewhere in the registry, Acrobat remembers where the location was, and when you want to make changes, it looks for that original location to find the msi file and then fails because the directory is gone.

But it gives you an option to browse for the msi file in another location, so I pointed it to the copy of the directory that I saved and it all worked.

So now the problem is how do we prevent this from happening in the future? Without having to keep the Acrobat files on a separate CD so changes can be made and options can be installed, is there a way to save the source on the drive somewhere that does not get deleted and so that the registry entry can point to the right location? Or would that waste too much disk space?

Or am I thinking in the wrong direction?

buletov

Post by buletov » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Your thinking is fine.
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

maverickwhistler

Post by maverickwhistler » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:10 am

have u corrected the problem?