SVCPACK Compatible?

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
Justavian

SVCPACK Compatible?

Post by Justavian » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:21 am

What makes a particular installer compatible with the SVCPACK method? My first attempt was to make an installer for MS Office 2003. I created an administrative install with a slipstreamed version of Office, packed it into a 7zip self extracting installer, and followed the instructions on how to turn that into an addon CAB. All that works great. It integrated without any complaint, and when i look at SVCPACK.IN_ and the SVCPACK folder, it appears to be setup exactly as expected. But it won't install using the SVCPACK method - i have to use the RunOnce method.

My ultimate goal is to have Office, Visual Studio 2002, Visual Studio 2003 (i need 2002 for the 7.0 C++ libraries), AutoCAD 2006 and 2007, and a few other apps all installed (probably using a dual layer DVD). Once again, however, it appears that i won't be able to use the SVCPACK method. I extracted all of the component updates (the prerequisites such as setup runtime files, j# redistributible, etc) for VS 2002 and 2003, and i made silent installers. But even though it looks like it's properly extracting things during the SVCPACK, those pre requisites are not being installed. If i just double click on my self extracting installers in windows, though - they install without any input.

How do i figure out what's going wrong? Should i just give up and resign myself to using the RunOnce?

crocodilechris

Post by crocodilechris » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:42 pm

my tip:
have a look at my Paint.NET Addon ;)
here: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4307
I had the same problem and used first $OEM$-method, but in this way it is even svcpack compatible. ;)

just extract every .exe and have a look at! ;)

or better, i just copy the code of the cmd:
1st: make your installer, then put a cmd with equivalent code for your installation to this folder.

Code: Select all

@echo off
title PaintDotNet-Installation

MD "%SystemDrive%\PDN"
copy /V /Y "%~d0.\PDNS.exe" "%SystemDrive%\PDN"
copy /V /Y "%~d0.\clean.cmd" "%SystemDrive%\PDN"

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\340 /VE /D "PaintDotNet-Installation" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\340 /V 1 /D "%SystemDrive%\PDN\PDNS.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\340 /V 2 /D "%SystemDrive%\PDN\clean.cmd" /f

exit
Then put also a cleanup.cmd into it:

Code: Select all

@echo off
title Cleanup PaintDotNet-Installation

RD /S /Q %systemdrive%\PDN
exit
pack these files into an selfextracting archieve and let install.cmd run after unpacking.

Then RunOnceEx should install this. ;)

Attention:
Your RunOnceEx number have to be different from mine & other addon-packs!

If you have more questions, I think s.b. could help you like they helped me. ;)
greetz crocodilechris
using nLite