When To Use RunOnceEX vs SVCPACK

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
tjtonytj

When To Use RunOnceEX vs SVCPACK

Post by tjtonytj » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:44 pm

what would be the difference if I place an .exe installer in the RunOnceEx rather than in SVCPACK; I'm new to all this, but I was thinking that if some software needs .NET 2.0 is installed using SVCPACK, then the .NET 2.0 would be installed too late if it doesn't install until RunOnceEx; can some of you good folks give me some advice on this...?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:02 pm

You'd better do that way, but testing is the main solution for us. You cannot know if the program will install at runonce, after dotnet 2 installation.

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:55 pm

It really depends on whose addon you use and how it "gets installed".

The reason I say this, RougeSpear has some .net installers, however depending on which one you use is to if they are installed properly. Therefore, his .net 3.5 installer has to be installed at RunOnceEx.

To break it down, if an installer requires something that is installed, then it needs to either come after the needed software, or on the next reboot. This usually means that if you install some form of .net at Svcpack, then any program that requires .net would need to be installed at RunOnceEx. Your mileage may vary with the above information, but testing is always the prudent choice.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

joll69

Post by joll69 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:54 am

It depends. Does the program need .NET to install, or to run? I haven't run across any programs that need .NET to install, but I've seen plenty that need it to run. I bring this point up because if .NET isn't needed for the installer, does it really matter which method is used? The apps that I use that need .NET may or may not make mention of it not being installed, but they install just fine anyway. I just can't run that app until I get around to installing .NET. Fancy that xD
Dok's Law: The simplicity of a solution is directly proportionate to its elusiveness.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:00 am

Paint.NET will NOT install unless .NET is installed and operating. The installer probes the system and throws up an error if .NET is not found (and working).
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:05 am

mr_smartepants wrote:Paint.NET will NOT install unless .NET is installed and operating. The installer probes the system and throws up an error if .NET is not found (and working).
You can fix that problem, and in fact I did, but then you're presented with another problem - SetupNgen.exe chokes for some reason if you haven't rebooted after installing .NET 2.0. With Group Policy it's even worse. The setup silently chokes until .NET 3.5 SP1 is installed. And of course GPO application assignments can and often do process before your first RunOnceEx session :x

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:39 am

RogueSpear wrote: You can fix that problem, and in fact I did,
This is precisely why I use YOUR installers! :D
Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear Kevlar and dog-tags!

crashfly

Post by crashfly » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:24 pm

@RougeSpear - that is why I mentioned your .net installers. It would depend on whose were used. I know most of the .net installers out there require a reboot before they are "properly" recognized. Especially when those .net installers are AIO (all-in-one). Now I do know that Onepience as a .net v1.1 that is considered a "true addon" in that it is directly integrated. But like I said, it depends on whose installer you use.

In general though, most .net installers are problematic without a reboot. Anything not requiring .net, but requiring some other runtime file should be installed *after* what is needed. Those are the general rules for getting items installed properly.
A mind is like a parachute, it only functions when it is open.
--Anonymous

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way