Do AutoIt-made installers still need switches?

Questions or comments on the switchless installers? Want to create a new one? Talk about it here.
bina

Do AutoIt-made installers still need switches?

Post by bina » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:24 am

At different forums I see that people recommend AutoIt to make the unattended install of addons silent. But now I can see some recommendations to use the silent switches even for addons made by AutoIt. So, why do I need AutoIt then?!?

E.g., I want to make some changes in pre-install windows of Winamp (like disable Winamp Library and visualizations) - before they all are installed on my computer. When I make it with SVCPACK method with a simple silent switch, it installs with all these features installed - this is what I don't want to happen. Now, when I heard about the capabilities of AutoIt I was quite happy to use it. I even wrote a script which makes the whole process of install quite seamless. But when it comes to switches, I really get confused - 'coz some say AutoIt allows for switchless install and some say - you still need to use switches for different installers. Which one 's true, for God's sake?!? :(

But I want to make an installer which installs full silent (no GUI) - currently when I start the AutoIt-made installer, it automatically installs without any interaction from my side, but GUI is still visible.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:21 am

Becouse of thousand of programs, is hard to say use this method or use this method,
different programs use different installer/packager methods, so it need different approach to make it silent. Inno setup use /VERYSILENT /SP- , Wise Installer use /S, etc.
When you have switches to use for silent install, is most quick/good solution than alternative to use autoit scripts.

But not all programs have silent swithes to allow one fully silent install process, so you need to use sometimes and Autoit scripts.
when use Autoit scripts, to hide install window, you need to run/runwait something like this:
Run ( "filename", "workingdir" , @SW_HIDE )

Take a look arount switchless forum area, some of us share informations about used switches and methods.

bina

Post by bina » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:17 am

Mulţumesc mult, vmanda!!! :)

I have tried to use @SW_HIDE but, unfortunately, it didn't help :( So far I have made two scripts with AutoIt - 1) Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (KIS); 2) WinAMP Pro 5.541.2189. Both of them install ok, without any user interaction.

The reason I choose AutoIt is that some programs like KIS and WinAMP need to be pre-configured before actual installation. E.g., using AutoIt, I can prevent KIS from asking for Activation just simply clicking on "Activate Later". Or, for example, for WinAMP I can choose NOT to install Media Library, Visualizations, or Google Toolbar. All of these tweaks, as far as I understand, are not possible by simply adding silent/quiet switches because when I simply add silent switches (using USSF or CMenu) to my addons, what I got at the end of installation is a FULL INSTALL of the program with all sh*t copied to my computer.

On the other hand, with all of its advantages, AutoIt still makes GUI visible. What I thought before is that AutoIt had a code or something to write into the script which acts the same way as silent switch. That's why I asked whether AutoIt hides GUI or not. But again, @SW_HIDE doesn't work for me. Maybe you could post the line with @SW_HIDE parameter that you use for your addon so that I can see if I did everything correct?! I will appreciate it!

Thanks!

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:55 am

For Winamp, I prefer to use only files from package and one inno setup script to make a new installer for Winamp ( inno not nsis ).
Using this script I can edit all preferences. See this page on this forum and particulary, see this script..
This will install and work without to have any license key, without any (tool)bars, etc.

Another hand to add some "tweaks" to one application, you will need to simple adding some registry key.
To track all registry keys changed, all files added and all ini files adited when I install ane particular software, I prefer Install Watch Pro
I use it even when I need to see what happens when I change 1 single option from one application (program).
Another usefull tool is RegShot or modified RegShot.

I will check and yours particular application (Kaspersky Internet Security 2009) to see how to deal with it.

vmanda

Post by vmanda » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:11 pm

To make silent installer for Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, you need to:
step 1. Start install of kis8.0.0.506en.exe
step 2. Folow all install steps even final - configurator steps.
step 3. When you are finished, do not restart computer like installer ask
step 4. Capture all files from:
Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab
and
Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files
by copiing with full path

step 5. Make one 7z sfx installer that copies all this files at right places ( extract it into right folder ) and that run "msiexec /i kis.en.msi /norestart /qn"
where kis.en.msi is placed into Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\English\..
captured folder, when you are using english version (used by me to make tests).

EDIT to step 5: Today having some free time I have created one KIS install maker. (size:45,9 MB md5:1D6DCCF503BE44E1F34BB466ED2A1ED9)
You need to extract all files from Kis_2009.7z (kis 2009 silent install maker) into one empty folder, then capture folders,
like I have explained at 4'th point in this post and to place it into KIS folder. When all operations are finished , run KIS_2009_SFX.cmd

Files provided by me into Kis folder is from english version, If you are using other language change SFX config file ( _bin\Kis.txt ) to meet yours changes.
You need to tune settings (finishing 2'nd step in this post) - I have only provided next -> next - I'm not interested to use this Installer.

I have used a double 7z compresion, first only Kaspersky Lab and Kaspersky Lab Setup Files folders and files, into one KIS.7z file, then compresed KIS.7z 7z.exe and 7z.dll into second KIS_7z.7z file.
After extraction from 7z sfx archive, used 7zs.exe to extract content of kis.7z into %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\ folder, then lauched minstall of kis.en.msi from %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab Setup Files\Kaspersky Internet Security 2009\English folder
I have tried to use InstallPath, but seem that doens not worker for me, so I have do in this way.

Now, I only hope that I have guided you into the right direction. Best regards, vmanda