New Computer - Advice & Suggestions Wanted

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
SHO_GuN

New Computer - Advice & Suggestions Wanted

Post by SHO_GuN » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:29 am

I begrudgingly left XP around a year ago due to the browser situation and went to Win 7 x32.

For the first time in my life I ordered a ready-made computer from Dell as opposed to building my own. It is coming with Win 10 x64 installed from Dell. I hate OEM bloated installs so know I have to start from scratch to get it to suit me.

First, I know next to nothing about Win 10. Should I go to Win 7 x64 or learn the Win 10 ways beings the end of Win 7 support isn't that far off?

Second, I have always relied mainly on this forum with occasional visits to a couple others, and nLite for my customization needs. If the answer above is go to Win 10, I would appreciate suggestions as to forums catering to its customization and unattened installs. I use Win Toolkit for Win 7 - would NTLite be what I want if I go to Win 10?

Thanks

P.S. I have Googled this of course, but I trust advice given here :D

mooms

Re: New Computer - Advice & Suggestions Wanted

Post by mooms » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:30 pm

You can stick with Windows 7 if you want, but in one year its support will be ended.
If you want to go to Win10, I recommend the Enterprise LTSC edition* to avoid the upgrades every 6 months, the useless store, etc...
If you have 4GB or more of RAM, you should use x64, x86 (32 bits) is not capable of addressing more than 3.5GB.

If you're not playing AAA video games, and not using specific software like the Adobe suite, you can also take a look on Linux, it's an excellent alternative, and you're will avoid all the telemetry baked in Windows, no need for an antivirus, a much greater control of your machine, etc...

*Enterprise LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) is a long-term support version of Windows 10 Enterprise released every 2 to 3 years. Each release is supported with security updates for 10 years after its release, and intentionally receive no feature updates. Some features, including the Microsoft Store and bundled apps, are not included in this edition.
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

mockingbird

Post by mockingbird » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:22 pm

If you can't use XP, then Win 7 all the way with Simplix pack integrated into the ISO you will use to install with.

Just be aware that with anything 8th gen and above, the integrated graphics will not work (until someone finds a workaround perhaps).

With Ryzen, only the models without integrated GPU will work at all with Windows 7. Something like the 2200G will BSOD and refuse to even boot it.

I have a feeling Microsoft will continue with security updates past next year, but who knows. But if not, then do Windows 8.1. At least in 8.1 you have *some* control over the telemetry and updates. With Windows 10, you don't, no matter what anyone says.

mooms

Post by mooms » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Telemetry have been backported to Win7 & 8...It can be disabled though, aboddi have posted some scripts on MDL.
With Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, you can set the telemetry to "basic", then you can further reduce it with some utilities, like W10Privacy or ShutUp10.

Yes, Windows 7 will continue to have security updates, like Windows XP, but we don't know if they will be easily available.
Alteration of the world
Want to thank me ? If you buy something on Banggood with this link, I will earn a little %.

shhnedo

Post by shhnedo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm

Being able to install windows 7 very much depends on the platform. If it's a platform with a Ryzen CPU, it should work, there are drivers for it. Intel, on the other hand, is a bit tricky. IMO, anything newer than Kaby Lake is too much of a hassle to be made properly working and it's not worth it. In which case, as said above, go with the Enterprise LTSC edition. It's basically a little bit bloated windows 7, but much less bloated windows 10 equivalent. It's what windows 10 should've been, honestly.
All of this should be taken into consideration primarily because of driver availability. Security patches and other updates aside.

SHO_GuN

Post by SHO_GuN » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm

shhnedo wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm
Being able to install windows 7 very much depends on the platform.
Bingo. I don't know the name, but this is a Core i7 8th Gen and Windows 7 will not install on it. When the choose language window pops up, the mouse and keyboard shut off. I tried everything I could find on the net with no change. So I guess I will be using Win 10. Thought about returning it ... but then rar'd a folder with my P4 rig, took over 4 minutes, same folder on new rig 20 seconds ... decided to keep it lol

Thanks for the input.

=[FEAR]=JIGSAW

Post by =[FEAR]=JIGSAW » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:22 am

Now is a good time as ever to start learning the "ins & outs" of Win10

I made the move couple years ago and not looking back. :wink:

This might help as an option to customize your ISO >

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6-HWg0gZ4

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:33 am