How can I spoof OS for WMP metadata from Microsoft servers?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Zephyr

How can I spoof OS for WMP metadata from Microsoft servers?

Post by Zephyr » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:10 pm

Microsoft's metadata service for Windows Media Player is no longer being provided for unsupported versions of Windows, which includes everything up to 8.1. How do their servers detect my operating system, and is it possible to spoof the OS to fool them into believing that I have Windows 10 installed?
XP FOREVER!

Zephyr

Re: How can I spoof OS for WMP metadata from Microsoft servers?

Post by Zephyr » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:38 pm

The problem is that Microsoft's metadata service at fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com is blocked for all Windows versions before 8.1. I have seen a suggestion that your PC's operating system ID is taken from Internet Explorer's user agent. If so, how would you go about changing it in IE8?

Another suggestion I have read is that you could use the Host file to redirect connections to fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com to another audio metadata service such as gnudb.gnudb.org. Any ideas anyone?
XP FOREVER!

IntMD

Post by IntMD » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:46 am

>Another suggestion I have read is that you could use the Host file to redirect connections to fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com to another audio metadata service such as gnudb.gnudb.org. Any ideas anyone?
This could work only if the WMP metadata service was based on CDDB, but I doubt this is the case. Can't say the IE useragent method won't work, though (check rel: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/633 ... g-in-ie-11 , it's for IE11 but chances are it will work for IE8 too).
Worst case scenario I'd look for metadata-editing alternatives like mp3tag instead

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:19 am

IntMD wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:46 am

This could work only if the WMP metadata service was based on CDDB, but I doubt this is the case. Can't say the IE useragent method won't work, though (check rel: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/633 ... g-in-ie-11 , it's for IE11 but chances are it will work for IE8 too).
Worst case scenario I'd look for metadata-editing alternatives like mp3tag instead
Thanks for the suggestion. I examined the User Agent registry key mentioned at Stackoverflow, and it was empty, but I am sure this data setting could be used or adapted for IE8.

The reason why this is an issue for me is that I need the fai.music.metaservices.microsoft.com service to synchronize ripped albums onto my Windows phone using WMP 11. In this scenario mp3tag might not be useful.
XP FOREVER!