What is Your Experience of Using Virtualization Software?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Zephyr

What is Your Experience of Using Virtualization Software?

Post by Zephyr » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 pm

I have been using a Dell SX260 which is a small point of sale PC for testing my addons and updates, and after this caused intolerable numbers of blue screens when booting from a USB drive I decided to investigate using virtualization software.

First I tried Qemu Manager which is excellent software which gives extensive access to options in Qemu. but I found that Qemu versions 0.1x provide poor performance with the file copying section of Windows setup taking forever.

I am currently using VMware Player version 4.0.4-744019 on XP and the performance drop in the virtual machine is negligible for my testing purposes. The main disadvantage of virtualization for me is that I do not require hardware emulation which I find quite limiting. The fact that the hard drive, CPU, sound card, and network card are emulated means that I cannot test addons that add drivers. Also I cannot see the drives used by the host machine. However, there is some scope for connecting to the hardware of the host machine such as sound card, USB drive, IDE optical drives, but not SATA optical drives.

I have Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 installed on my XP machine, and the performance is not quite as good as that of VMware Player and hardware support is inferior. However it does provide the option of full screen mode for the virtual machine.

One odd thing I have noticed about virtualization software is that the GuiRunOnce section of winnt.sif does not work if you require to run bat files in the $OEM$\$1\Install folder.
XP FOREVER!

Dibya

Re: What is Your Experience of Using Virtualization Software?

Post by Dibya » Wed May 04, 2022 12:30 pm

I use both Virtual Box on XP/10 and KVM on Ubuntu Linux ,
so far satisfied but never expect them to be fast as real hardware.

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » Sun May 08, 2022 3:37 am

Dibya wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:30 pm
I use both Virtual Box on XP/10 and KVM on Ubuntu Linux ,
so far satisfied but never expect them to be fast as real hardware.
Can you recommend a version of Virtual Box suitable for my Core 2 Duo CPU running Windows XP. It does not need to support recent versions of Windows and Linux as guest operating systems because I will mainly use to make XP addons.
XP FOREVER!

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun May 08, 2022 10:52 am

I can tell you one thing avoid VBOX if you have less than 4 cores , better will be VMWare
Consider upgrading to Core 2 Quad , those old chips are cheap now.