Problem installing winxp from dvd?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
jdub

Problem installing winxp from dvd?

Post by jdub » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:03 pm

Hey guys long time user of the various update packs/program addons here. Every time I install windows xp I build a new disc which means updating all my files from here :)

I've been trying to resurect my nostalgia server for use as a minecraft box/gameserver/webserver but its been rejecting every dvd I build. It's stats are:

Abit NF7-S (I think v2?) with the nforce2 chipset, Athlon XP 2400, 1gb ram, 80gb IDE HD, IDE dvd burner (nec 2500 IIRC) and ive switched out trying my other one as well.

For the longest time i was sure you couldnt install winxp from a dvd but then I remember trying it and it just worked on my newer computers. this one however keeps failing saying insert system disk or some other error, i can never get it to get to the windows install portion. Ive tried 3 different kinds of dvd media so I dont think its that.

what I really want to do is re-install winxp onto a sata hd because i think the 80gb one might be failing. I know all about BTS and masstorage etc.

So my first question is - is installing from a dvd possible or is there some limitation that ive forgotten about? something about old chipsets not recognizing dvd drives maybe?

second question: whats an easy way to install a windows xp build from my 80gb ide hd? Im pretty sure i tried putting the nlite output onto a partition and setting it active without success.

shiner

Post by shiner » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 pm

First, my current cpu / mainboard is from the same era, if not earlier, than the system you are working with and I install XP SP3 + user_hidden's pack + etc . from DVD without issues. My harddisks are PATA (WD & Samsung). My PATA optical drive is a more recent Lite-on howeever, (about 15 months old.)

You did not mention what app you use to create the iso or to burn it--which may be helpful.
I use RVMi to create the ISO and ImgBurn to burn it to DVD.
Edit:
If possible, test the ISO by creating a virtual machine with it in VirtualBox or some other virtual software. If it boots OK in the VM, it's very likely to boot on real hardware.

Hopefully, other members can provide more insights.
Last edited by shiner on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink."

ELiTE

Re: Problem installing winxp from dvd?

Post by ELiTE » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 am

jdub wrote:Hey guys long time user of ......
Did a Google search "nforce2 chipset dvd drive problem" Apparently you are not alone with this issue. It seems to be an nforce2 chipset quirk on some mobos. Best advice - search online as some have found a workaround. Old tech and newer tech don't always play well together. Good luck.
jdub wrote:second question: whats an easy way to install a windows xp build from my 80gb ide hd? Im pretty sure i tried putting the nlite output onto a partition and setting it active without success.
WinXP is hardware dependent. It has to be installed on a specific machine. It's not like the old Win98 days where you could swap the system drive from rig to rig. Make a flash drive bootable (Google search) and put the nLite output on that (the files not the ISO) Restart your rig and press whatever F key your board requires to select "boot from flash drive" and you should be good to go. I'm writing this from memory (it's been awhile) but it will put you in the ballpark. Google is your friend.
By downloading an ELiTE Switchless Installer Addon you, the End User, agree to abide by any Terms of Use prescribed by the Freeware App contained within.

jdub

Post by jdub » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 am

shiner wrote:You did not mention what app you use to create the iso or to burn it--which may be helpful.
I use RVMi to create the ISO and ImgBurn to burn it to DVD. Before burning, I always test the ISO by creating a VirtualMachine with it in VirtualBox .
I believe my second optical is a lite-on as well.

I typically create the iso with nLite (latest version) and burn with imgburn, and yes i verify.

@Elite - nono you misunderstand. I dont want to instal onto the 80GB ide drive. I want to install FROM it. I'm fairly sure if its Fat32 and setup right I should be able to load windows install from it and so long as that install has the right drivers slipstreamed I should be able to install onto a Sata hd from there. Right?

Also my motherboard does not support booting from USB. I checked :(

I was starting to go nuts after I couldnt get a DVD, second HD partition OR PXE installation going. lol.

Btw you CAN swap a win xp hard drive to a new machine. Things WILL get fucked up but ive heard if you delete all chipset drivers and re-install them you can get a zombified machine running decently. Though since the license is tied to the mobo I'm not to sure how legitimately* reactivating would go. I think the people at Microsoft will usually authorize it if you ask nicely. That being said I am NOT looking to do that.

tomasz86

Post by tomasz86 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:17 am

I dont want to instal onto the 80GB ide drive. I want to install FROM it. I'm fairly sure if its Fat32 and setup right I should be able to load windows install from it and so long as that install has the right drivers slipstreamed I should be able to install onto a Sata hd from there. Right?
You can check this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158430- ... s-from-hdd

Since then I've been installing Windows (2000, XP and others) exclusively from HDD and haven't experienced any problems. I find it easier and much faster than using CDs or USB flash disks.