Thoughts on Opticork's KernelEx Project

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
harkaz

Thoughts on Opticork's KernelEx Project

Post by harkaz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Stormit wrote:Hi harkaz and All. That KernelEx Project sounds very interesting looking forward to it. Thanks Again harkas for everything. :)
Kernelex plans out of the window, unfortunately...

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Maybe not defenestrated, but certainly delayed.
Opticork wrote:[...] KernelEx & SP5 development will be on-hold for around a month [...]
Learned my lesson. Off-site backups are essential.

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:37 pm

Yip, all yer eggs in one backet, your just asking for it!

Edit: Guess there were no eggs in the basket

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:41 am

@ harkaz,5eraph,GH0st
I think opticork should keep bakup of his two three media like pendrive. external hdd,cd etc also upload copy oline in googledrive,mega or mediafire.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:51 am

I think GH0st's edit is closer to the truth.
Windows XP Unofficial SP4 (2014, 2016, and 2019): viewtopic.php?t=10321
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:05 am

Was trying to be nice and give Opticork the benefit of the doubt. ;)

I use thumb drives and MediaFire myself, Dibya. Considered backing up to Blu-ray, but optical drives never last long enough for me to rely upon them.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:11 am

thum drives are best

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:14 am

after viewing his data recovery screanshots , i think he was really working.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:38 am

During 2019(last year to receive hotfix) I may make a unofficial Service pack 7
*DirectX12
*Windows Media Foundation
*few themes
*Microsoft EDge
*Windows Defender from win10(optional)
*Cortana from win10 (optional)
*highly powerful firewall (I should write it myself)
*All hotfixes
*Windows 10 Driver Compability
*Windows 10 Application Compability
*Few tweaks speed up
*True SSD Support
*Physical adress extenction (About 64Gb Ram and 5tb vram)
*If super fast pc detected also if ram is more than 64gb then rest ram will be used for fast boot (System files will copied to ram)
All are my dreams donot exept unless i sucess

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:11 am

It's bad when a moderator doubts Opticork enough to refuse to unlock his project thread. Then goes so far as to shut down his apparently attention-seeking behavior by locking the ID-10T thread too.

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:53 am

It is indeed a sad state of affairs. Looking back on it, It's true that the project was making supposed progress that was too good to be true, with nothing to show for it besides statements from him that 'this' was working and 'that' will take some more time. I guess it's possible he really can do what he claims, and I'd like to think so, but the steps he took to try to recover his accidentally formatted drive - format it a second time, install an OS on it, add drivers, copy 50 GB of misc data on it, then install data recovery software on it all so that he could then try to recover the software he lost - and then claim that he was able to recover KernelEX mostly undamaged and still with correct file names and extensions while he was unable to recover any of the SP5 work, all make me believe it was all vaporware, created for some perverted reason. I truly hope I'm wrong, but apparently I'm not the only one with that opinion.

Cheers and Regards

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:09 am

@Everbody i donot think it is a vaporware,
becuase he shown many screanshots, hext edit also taken many suggestion from me through PM.
Believe me MSFN Guys are rude

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:24 am

bphlpt wrote:It is indeed a sad state of affairs. Looking back on it, It's true that the project was making supposed progress that was too good to be true, with nothing to show for it besides statements from him that 'this' was working and 'that' will take some more time. I guess it's possible he really can do what he claims, and I'd like to think so, but the steps he took to try to recover his accidentally formatted drive - format it a second time, install an OS on it, add drivers, copy 50 GB of misc data on it, then install data recovery software on it all so that he could then try to recover the software he lost - and then claim that he was able to recover KernelEX mostly undamaged and still with correct file names and extensions while he was unable to recover any of the SP5 work, all make me believe it was all vaporware, created for some perverted reason. I truly hope I'm wrong, but apparently I'm not the only one with that opinion.
Yeah, there is no way this could be true ... so something fishy is going on.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:27 am

For me it is absolutely vaporware.

A reverser has extreme programming knowledge. I had posted at MSFN: "what opticork is doing is way more advanced than you could imagine" (actually he was not).

To begin with, a reverser going on to create a huge project like a compatibility layer, must perfectly understand things like:
- Assembly for x86, x64 at least (You're telling me that opticork did really know x86 & x64 assembly?)
- Ring 0 development - He has to be an ACE here to make the kernel support the new functionality.
- Perfectly understand how a system works (memory, CPU, hardware)
- Understand security issues in-depth so that he/she can properly port the new APIs without introducing risks for exploits
- Ideally have access to the Windows NT source code

and of course:

A LOT OF EXPERIENCE. When I say a lot, I mean a lot, much more than you could imagine.
An experience comparable to some few NSA, Chinese, Russian and Indian hackers.
(I have included the Europe's best ones in the NSA club :p )
Up until now, the existing KernelEx programs perform limited ports of specific API calls that do not require extensive kernel changes - like a DX10+ port would do.

(For those who don't know, the main reason IE9 was not ported to XP was the fact it required DirectX 10+. Even Microsoft technicians themselves with the full source code in their hands decided not to implement such big changes in the Windows kernel, for the fear of breaking compatibility).

Studying an API call alone is a procedure that can take a huge amount of time. Do you know many hours reversers study ASSEMBLY code AND DEBUG just to discover a zero-day patch - which is only a small piece of the whole OS. And they do this only for money: up to 500 grand in black market.

No doubt that opticork had absolutely no idea of this exciting world. But he ignored the absolutely basics: how data is flushed to disk. Stuff I've been told about at SCHOOL.

And now I want to talk about my post yesterday.

One can play dump for many rounds. But eventually they have to stop the trolling just to save the reputation of the forum itself. If a low-class reverser read that crap opticork wrote, he would probably think that the forum is hosted by a group of people completely irrelevant to the subject, who passively accepted everything a troll told them as true.

I know it may be difficult for an enthusiast/hobbyist to understand how outlandish this is, but just try reading and mastering books like The Rootkit Arsenal, Undocumented Windows NT, Windows Internals or the entire MSDN library - Windows API. Yes, someone must know all the documented and the undocumented functions very well, and they constantly have to revise and expand their knowledge to be more adept at the reversing process.

Opticork had no idea about the documented functions, never mind the undocumented ones. How could he possibly be working on such a complex and exhausting project?

I had read a reverser's advice for success once. He said that if you cannot reverse a program within a few hours, just leave it alone. But the more you learn about the OS structure, the various ways in which the software tries to control the hardware, the required time is reduced exponentially, as your knowledge increases with a lot of pain and sacrifice. (This my addition but I'm sure it's true).

Opticork has undermined this. He completely ignored the basics but he wanted to convince us that he could prepare the Noe's arc within 3 days.

OFFTOPIC NOTE (to further explain my sentimental tone):
I hugely respect reversers by the way, because they are not paid enough for the level of their techinical knowledge.
500 grand is not enough for a person who has devoted their lives to learn incredible details. That's what an MD makes in the US in a year.
An MD only needs experience, and a rather narrow knowledge of a specific subject. I am able to do the comparison directly, and I can say it is unfair for some brilliant hacking minds out there, who have extremely wide and -at the same time- deep knowledge of their subject , and wonderful talent. But again, that's life. Politicians, CEOs, bankers and their associates take the most; the rest of us have just to be 'competitive slaves'. A politician here in Greece is reported to own about 50 million Euros... How many zero-day patches and working/learning hours would this equal to? And this guy had just very good communication and social skills... Pfff...

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:50 am

Believe or donot belive (I am leaking here )
Indian hacker has such tools that you never believe. I have seen in my eyes , some body (in a IT shop of Gohati Assam) broke kerenel32.dll into hindi language.(Beleive or donot believe).Even on indian markets System builders remodify oses(mainly XP) that you never going move your eyes from the customizations.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:52 am

In delhi , I have seen a old man using linux(no gui) using a pogram namely bhartia Api impliter to sustitute 2k kerenal32 to xp one.

harkaz

Post by harkaz » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:54 am

NT 5.x kernels are similar, Dibya.

It's much more difficult to go from 5.x to 6.x
Windows XP Unofficial SP4 (2014, 2016, and 2019): viewtopic.php?t=10321
Non-IT stuff:
Retinal changes in schizophrenia (2019): https://academic.oup.com/schizophreniab ... 06/5598443

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:07 am

you are absolutely correct harkaz.

Acheron

Post by Acheron » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks Harkaz for explaining the situation.

I had doubts when Opticork, a new user suddenly announced the KernelEX for Windows XP project on MSFN, but it has happened before, that some users are working on big projects silently.

Opticork asked about what software we would like to see supported, so I also posted some software I would like to have support for. Especially Visual Studio 2013/2015 support would be nice, as that would mean porting a lot of software to support Windows XP would become very easy. Opticork also said he got .NET 4.5 working.

It all sounded reasonable. He got Visual Studio 2013 working, but 2015 not yet. The same for .NET 4.5, not the latest 4.6.

All seemed fine until he also announced the Service Pack 5 project, reported more and more software working or not and then shortly afterwards the announcement that he lost his work, because of letting someone else use his computer. If you are working on such an important project you need to have backups. It gets weirder as Opticork has no experience what to do when you have accidentally formatted your hard drive. First rule is to not write any data to the disc and any expert programmer should know about this rule.

I have contacted the board administrators about this and have told them about my concerns. They have decided to give Opticork two weeks to show them any proof of his project. Personally I would only give him a few days, as he has damaged the reputation of MSFN being a high reputable computer forum already.

Dibya

Re: Thoughts on Opticork's KernelEx Project

Post by Dibya » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:34 am

Guys He is getting back . He will show his things up very soon . He has shown me too many screenshot which cannot be faked .

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:01 am

Is this what you posted here in other thread?

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 pm

GH0st wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:01 am
Is this what you posted here in other thread?
IT is made by me not by opticork . His kernel Extension has more function as per him as he made may thing work as per his screenshots . Let wait
We are going to have too many comp-ability layer . Xompie (by Tungamonx) , OnecoreAPI(By Samuka),KernelEx(By Opticork) also my one ExtendedXP
My main purpose is to make security after 2019 .

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:26 am

Dibya wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:39 pm
My main purpose is to make security after 2019 .
Sounds like a good idea!

bphlpt

Post by bphlpt » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 am

No disrespect meant Dibya, but based on what Opticork did and didn't do last year, I will not believe anything that Opticork says or posts until he provides code that others can test. Once he does that, AND some other recognized person smarter than me has then confirmed his claims, AND the code remains available for continued evaluation by others, only then will I dare to hope that progress can be made in this area. I would like to believe, but ...

Though I haven't used any version of XP myself in quite some time, I continue to be fascinated and enticed by the possibility that XP/XP64 could continue to be relevant for a long time to come. I know there are still many staunch XP supporters, and I'm sure they will welcome any and all real progress made by Opticork, Dibya, WildBill, BlackWingCat, harkaz, etc, etc. Unless stable and reliable extensions to XP can be made that a total noob can easily and safely install, then less and less of today's software will be able to run on XP on today's hardware, and so fewer new users will be able to enjoy the beauty that is/was XP.

I will continue to very cautiously hope for the best.

Cheers and Regards

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:55 am

Yes, agreed with "bphlpt" statement. Hoping for the best, but I have to question Opticorks integrity. I was present when he was lieing in the past. He lied to me!

So I do hope this works out, but, will question it all till then!

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Tue May 30, 2017 11:44 am

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/176757- ... xtendedxp/
Something from me .........................................
I donot know about opticork

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 pm

ok, I downloaded it, will install later

GH0st

Post by GH0st » Tue May 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Ok, I did an install of the "WindowsXP-EX20170522-x86-ENU", which I downloaded from this thread. Upon reboot I get continual errors, one after another. Error is with "ekrn.exe" which is ESET Nod32 Antivirus (v8.0.319.0). Seems the ESET service can't start for some reason. I post two attachments for you to see.

Also, CCleaner (AKA: Crap Cleaner) would not run, got an error

I have uninstalled this program, everything seems back to normal. But I am now backing things up, as if it did screw it up, I will need to reformat and do a fresh install.

Edit: To add, the OS is WinXP pro, uSP4. This install is over a year old, which is alot for XP, guess uSP4 is that tight!
Last edited by GH0st on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Wed May 31, 2017 1:50 am

Thanks for report Ghost , current version is only for testing not for serious use . Please from next time use a VM like virtualbox or vmware
Thanks for your report

woodpeko

Post by woodpeko » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 am

Hello. I will tell you the question I was thinking from before. Is it possible for current XPSP3 to support AVX, AVX2, FMA3 and other extended instructions in Extended XP? I think that it is amazing if this could be done.