It's official, 8 different flavors of Windows Vista

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
FOOSA

It's official, 8 different flavors of Windows Vista

Post by FOOSA » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:27 am

Because choices are good? Or because there would be more money to be milked? Perhaps the victims of having 8 different flavors of Windows Vista are the software vendors, who would have to explain the differences between each edition to their customers.

Here's a quick rundown of the 8 product editions:

Windows Starter 2007 - This edition does not include the Aero graphical user interface, hence it’s not Vista-branded. And there’s no 64-bit edition, no networking, no Fast User Switching, no DVD Authoring, no gaming common controller support, and no image editing with enhanced touchup, and only three applications/windows are allowed to run simultaneously. Good only for really basic users with low budgets.

Windows Vista Home Basic - This is the true baseline version of Windows Vista; think Windows XP Home Edition. You can expect to find features such as Windows Firewall, Windows Search, Photo Library and etc. And every other edition below will be based on this edition. Good for general consumers or even the kids.

Windows Vista Home Basic N - Same as the Home Basic Edition, but minus the Windows Media Player. This edition is for the Europeans as they have antitrust rulings against Microsoft which does not allow the player to be bundled.

Windows Vista Home Premium - This edition includes features such as Media Center Extender support, Cable Card support, DVD authoring and Tablet PC functionality. This edition is best suited for notebooks and networked home desktops, but it’s probably insufficient for the geeks.

Windows Vista Business - Analogous to the Windows XP Professional, this will probably be the most widely used edition in corporate environments. This edition allows joining of domains, non-Microsoft networking (Netware, etc), Remote Desktop and Microsoft Windows Web Server. Most geeks and IT professionals will want to go for this edition.

Windows Vista Business N - Just like Home Basic N Edition, this one is meant for the Europeans and comes with no media player.

Windows Vista Enterprise - This edition will come with several new features such as Virtual PC, multi-language user interface (MUI) and Secure Startup (BitLocker Drive Encryption).

Windows Vista Ultimate - This one is going to be the most expensive, most feature-packed, and perhaps the most pirated edition of Vista. It’ll include new and unique features such as Game Performance Tweaker, Podcast creation utility, online “Club” services and privileged product support. This edition will be perfect for Windows fanboys.

So which one’s for you?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:40 am

FOOSA wrote:It's official, 8 different flavors of Windows Vista
Not quite true.

The proof:

Ars Technica - Windows Vista editions announced? Almost.
Yahoo! News - Microsoft blunder leaks information about Vista

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:07 pm

Business edition sounds nice. Enterprise would be cool for built-in VirtualPC functionality.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

xpmaniac4ever

Post by xpmaniac4ever » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:54 pm

I`ll use Windows Vista Ultimate Warez Edition :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
An idiot tries 2 maintain order..A genius can control chaos

rytukz

Post by rytukz » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:49 pm

xpmaniac4ever wrote:I`ll use Windows Vista Ultimate Warez Edition :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:D corporate edition without activation

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:19 pm

I'm a gamer/enthusiast; Ultimate for me. :)

(And why would anyone want the pirated/unactivated versions of a new OS? There will undoubtedly be bugs remaining and tech support will be a necessity. If Microsoft is cracking down now then imagine what it will be like with the new virgin Vista...)

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:21 pm

i think i will install Windows Starter 2007 on my hp calculator and pretend i have a handhel pc lol
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

superleiw

Re: It's official, 8 different flavors of Windows Vista

Post by superleiw » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:05 pm

FOOSA wrote:This edition is for the Europeans as they have antitrust rulings against Microsoft

That sounds so cool ^_^

btw I think that the Starter Pack will see a few hacks to allow it to do more stuff and I will probably also buy that one anyway as I shouldn't cost that much

keytotime

Post by keytotime » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:25 pm

XP SP2 for me. Vista probably will have to many bug's. Gonna wait for Vista SP1.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:59 pm

keytotime wrote:XP SP2 for me. Vista probably will have to many bug's. Gonna wait for Vista SP1.
Agreed with xp sp2, but not sure about vista sp1...
will go on with xp sp3

DarkNiteS11

Post by DarkNiteS11 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:46 am

rytukz wrote:
xpmaniac4ever wrote:I`ll use Windows Vista Ultimate Warez Edition :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:D corporate edition without activation
Anything above the Home Editions will be sans WPA.

You can get a good look at the features breakdown here.

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Re: It's official, 8 different flavors of Windows Vista

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:50 am

FOOSA wrote:Because choices are good? So which one’s for you?
The one that doesn't include the new DRM technology!

Although, Home Premuim, Enterprise, and Ultimate all look promising, I personally wouldn't go with any of them due to DRM.

Although, I've read somewhere that the new DRM that's included in Vista may not be as bad as everyone is letting on that it is. It will work much like the DRM works for the MCE editions now, according to what I read. You'll still only be able to record to the Windows Codec and they have updated the codec to where people will have to hack it again to where you can transfer the files to any other codec after recording to it. Though if the latter isn't the case, then I may consider an upgrade for my MCE based system to Vista. That is if I can still convert MS-DVS files to WMP or MP4 codecs then I may consider upgrading my MCE machine to Vista, but my main machine, I doupt I'll upgrade at this point, as time goes on and more definative information about Vista is released, I may change my mind.

Also the Ultimate may at first be a highly pirated version of the new O/S, but eventually most people, including gamers are going to be looking more towards the lesser products to cut all the resource hogging crap out of it for best performance. I look for most people who do a lot of gaming to want the Home Premium unless they really have a need for IIS and if Remote Desktop doesn't become available to the home editions for those who may have a need for that, otherwise they may want Business edition. Unless they have a real need to play people on their XBox360's, which will require the Ultimate Edition if memory serves. If what I read somewhere is true, the Premium Edition should be similar in functionality to MCE 2005, which should be sufficiant for the majority of people, but to get the full functionality of MCE 2005 you'll need to purchase Ultimate or there will be a way to turn on the features probably based on hardware installed, same with the features for the tablet.

I look for the features you mentioned for Ultimate to become as "Plus" add-ons for someone who purchases the Home Premium edition at least, maybe minus the privileged support, due to the steep expense that will be required to obtain the Ultimate version. Specifically the parts about "Club Services", I concieve eventually being purchasable as an option for the Premium Home version, especially any portion that allows people to play against XBox360 systems, possibly at a lesser level than with the Ultimate, so you can get at least the "basic" functionality. And it may take 3rd parties to produce the podcasting and game performance tweakers, but they will probably be better anyways, allowing for more features for a reasonable price. That is if Microsoft hasn't totally hidden the code for these features to spite the anti-trust rulings against them.

Unlike you, I look for Vista Enterprise to be the one a lot of geeks and IT professionals goes for, for the built in Virtual PC and Secure Startup, at least. Those who are in small businesses will be the ones who may have a need for Business edition, most of them will probably go for Home Premium though to cut down on expenses, unless like I said of the Premium users, they need IIS and the ability to hook to domains, if that truely is the major difference. IF Home Premium is similar in functionality to MCE 2005 with Tablet functionality, then I see a majority of people using that version for SOHO use instead. Unless like I heard the features for Tablet will only be available to Business and above, then people who use those will have a need for that too.

Most people will still use Server editions or Mac/Linux to do their server duties even for gaming, and a lot of people who need the performance of their machines instead of letting the operating system use it, will stay with XP in one of it's two flavors, Professional SP2/3 or x64 SP1+ or move to Mac/Linux, especially if Apple's Steve Jobs allows for Mac OS to be more compatible with AMD 64 systems and other x86 based hardware, and they finally get more software support, especially games.

The people who have a need for Cable Card compatibility will want to go with Home Premium or Ultimate for that ability, maybe. Though I look for Cable Card units to eventually become backwards compatible with at least MCE 2005 if not XP Pro SP3/XP Pro x64 SP2 as well, down the line. Especially once the hardware manufacturors realise how much money they will be losing to those who, like myself will refuse to upgrade, unless these tuners are capable of recording to other codecs besides the highly incompatible and DRM riddled Windows Codecs, and for fear of being sued by the same people who successfully sued Microsoft for Anti-Trust and forced them to remove WMP from it's operating systems.

Of course the real Vista Killer will be when Apple releases a version of the Mac OS that isn't locked to the Intel Core processors and more companies port their software to run on the x86 versions of Mac OS X. The real deal breaker will be when people are fed up with not being able to run OpenGL/OpenAL based games such as Quake on Vista due to the lack of support for it in the upcoming versions. Sure there will be support for version 1.x of OpenGL, but last I read, (no it wasn't frequently), OpenGL was up to over version 2.0 and wasn't in any hurry to upgrade it to run with Vista.

I also look for things that are made for Vista's x64 version to be backwards compatible with XP Pro x64, especially once a Service Pack comes out with Vista's engine included in it, like that of XP Pro SP3 is supposed to include. I also look for people trying to find ways to disable the 3D resource hogging desktop on Vista for the x64 platform, as I understand it's going to be only for that platform and forced upon it. Not everyone is going to be happy with having their x64 systems crippled by this resource hog, especially gamers, who'll be complaining how much slower their systems are with it.

Of course all the information I am basing my thoughts on are dated and may not be true now, or even if they are, may not be true later when Vista is finalized. I'll know more when I can test Vista myself later on, probably when it's available for public beta, if that ever happens. I do know I'll be testing it prior to any purchase of it, so if there is never a beta for public release or a trial version of it, I'll never purchase it.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Zacam

Post by Zacam » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:23 am

Regarding the versions and upgrading them
DisabledTrucker wrote: The one that doesn't include the new DRM technology!
The DRM used in Vista _supposedly_ isn't going to break the ability to do anything that you can already do under XP/2K3. The DRM will _only_ be in place for Blueray/HD-DVD and the HighDef "plug the analog hole" carp that's being nattered on about. Stuff that XP/2K3 doesn't have the ability to do anyway, and likely won't unless we get a pioneer like DVD John who decides to make it so for us "obsolete" OS users.

maverickwhistler

Post by maverickwhistler » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:17 am

will the ultimate edition have all the stuff of the business and other editions?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:42 pm

Yes, Ultimate has the Premium and Business features in it, just how much of the business features I'm not sure of, as I haven't found anything definate on it yet. From what I've read though it should contain everything, not sure of the enterprise features though.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

Daemonforce

Post by Daemonforce » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:10 am

None of them are for me. I'll use the one present in all of them: Vista PE.

I'm going to grab an RTM copy of Vista, extract WinPE 2.0 for forward support and scram! :?

I'm waiting on NT7 for my needs because NT6 is flooded with so much crap that you can't do anything on it wihtout a lockup or crash. I can't even run drive emulation or an antivirus without the OS getting completely hosed in the process. The only good thing I see about it is that we finally have an OS with .NET 2.0 integrated into it. Which means yay! New office OS!

We'll have to wait for NT7 for IIS 7.0 again...Awwwww! x_X

No wonder IBM is dropping this crap.
Do you have stairs in your house?

DisabledTrucker

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:12 am

Finally got a December beta to test with, will report back my findings when I get it installed, as far as I can tell, I'll be sticking with XPx64 for a while now that I have it installed and running just fine. ;) I have them both dual booting, XP Pro and XP x64, and I can't see much difference between them, except that x64 doesn't run 16-bit crap that I don't run anyways. Now for more x64 software to come out!!! Sheesh, AMD64 has been out for over 2 years now and there is barely any support for it yet, on top of that you're hard pressed to find any 32-bit hardware, but still most of the software being released is still 32-bit!?! To make things even worse, Vista will even be released, albeit in a stripped down version, for x32, makes you wonder why 32-bit hardware is all but gone from the markets...