IE7, IEAK7, and integration?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
DarkNiteS11

IE7, IEAK7, and integration?

Post by DarkNiteS11 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:22 am

OK, here's my first real question post here. *crosses fingers* How's about a little backstory, since I can't seem to make sense of myself without it. ;) It's been a long day...

I'm sure a few of you are familiar with the Internet Explorer Administration Kit and what it does. Well, I use it mostly to make builds that retain my bookmarks and configuration across versions and on different workstations (on the personal level at least, the branding and lockdown features are nice on other levels).

Now I'm going to make an integrated CD for home use that contains all the things that could possibly make the installation on my newly built gaming box another tedious chore instead of the nice plug and go unattended operation I've become accustomed to. This isn't the first time I've used IEAK to do builds for CD based installs, but it is the fist time I've done a fully integrated XP CD for personal use with a version of IE that can not be installed over itself should you fubar the setup routine.

My question would be:

How would one go about using the builds produced by IEAK within an integrator, or where would one manually include the information from at least the generated install.ins file?

I was thinking I could reference it in WINNT.SIF. Possibly a runonce to try to execute the build as I am accustomed to doing, but I've never done that before.

I can provide example build(s) if requested.

Internet Explorer Administration Kit 7

Xable

Post by Xable » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:34 am

I can`t help with IE but you might consider switching to Firefox. There is an MSI available Here.

DarkNiteS11

Post by DarkNiteS11 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:57 am

Thank you for that link Xable, but I will still (unfortunately) be stuck with IE in one form or another. Be it Maxthon (still not usable in environments that verify client version information) or the latest IE7 incarnation there are still things I must do that simply require the IE engine with all it's lovely ActiveX controls and noncompliant rendering methods.

Don't get me wrong, I love FireFox and the whole Mozilla suite, I just can't use them 100% of the time. Yet.

Xable

Post by Xable » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:10 am

Yepp were all stuck with IE at one time or another, i use FF as much as i can. That msi lets you use Administrative Templates, somthing i guess you could make use of.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks for that link, Xable! I was hoping for an addon, but this is better. :)

One quick offtopic question, though: How do I use INSTALLLEVEL? Is it a switch?
  • Set Default browser as an option (INSTALLLEVEL=1000)

Xable

Post by Xable » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:45 am

To be honest i use an Optimised Build so i`ve no experiance with the msi`s just thought it would be usefull for DarkNiteS11`s situation.

A quick search dug up this though.

DisabledTrucker
Location: Country of Mental on the Planet Trucker in the MidnightHunter Galaxy.

Post by DisabledTrucker » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:04 am

I have no problem at all for using FF exclusively now, I've found that by using the IE tab plug-in with it, I no longer need IE even to download the Windows Updates, you must leave IE as part of Windows, but you can remove the calls to it using Add/Remove/Windows Components so that you no longer have the IE shortcuts laying around anymore. The latest version of IE tab doesn't need the Windows Update plug-in for FF to do them inside it, although I still use it because it adds the Windows Update links to FF's tools menu and has a way to call the IE tab from it. I've found absolutely no problems using this with any site that requires the IE browser, although for the most part if the site requires the IE browser, I don't bother with the site, unless it's Microsoft's site.
Matthew 22:36-40

I have some gmail invites left, if you'd like one IM me and let me know.

[url=mms://wmc1.liquidviewer.net/WNOR]WNOR FM-99[/url] The best station in the world!

DarkNiteS11

Post by DarkNiteS11 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:42 pm

I just use Open in IE since IETab still fails in certain situations I would need it to work, and I don't believe it's the fault of the extension. That still leaves me with an IE window though. I would love to use an actual IE build (mine or official with a modified ins and cabs included) so that I can save myself a lot of tedious work, and the most important part, my spare time.

Xable, thank you again for another informative link.

DarkNiteS11

Post by DarkNiteS11 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:50 pm

OK, got it working now. All you really need to do is add 3 lines to winnt.sif, and place the flat build directories in your OEM directory to use your IEAK builds in your unattended setup CD.

Code: Select all

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes
IEBrandingFile="%OEM%\INS\WIN32\EN\INSTALL.INS"
On a side note, those who just want to get rid of the welcome screen annoyance can add:

Code: Select all

[URL]
NoWelcome=1
I have no idea why they made the defaults take you to the welcome screen to save settings when saving session history is disabled by default in IE7 so you couldn't save the settings if you wanted to.

Oh well, I'm probably the only person here who has to use this anyways. :)