Is it Possible to Repair a Windows Xp Installation using a S

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Roguedog

Is it Possible to Repair a Windows Xp Installation using a S

Post by Roguedog » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:06 pm

I got a copy of Slipstreamed XP CD with BTS's drvrs and hotfixes. I installed this and all was fine.

My installation got corrupted and I wanted to do the Setup Repair methode of restoring the files. Problem is this option (after pressing F8 on the License screen), "To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R." is not available when you boot the Slipstreamed version of the CD eg.

Is there a way to create a Slipstreamed Version that has this option?

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:39 am

To my knowledge, it has nothing to do with slipstreaming anything. That option is unavailable when you remove winnt.exe from your disc.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:36 am

When you use winnt.sif you cannot do a repair. If you remove the winnt.sif file you get the option for repair. ;)

I make a multiboot disk with Windows XP PowerPacker that allows me to make a disk that makes 3 copies of each os. One with DPs, One Without DPs and one that is not Unattended so I can do XP repairs. :)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:57 am

I stand corrected.

OtherworldBob

Post by OtherworldBob » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:02 am

When I use my un-attended CD, when it asks for RAID drivers (hit F6), press F8 (or F10 can't remember which), wait a few seconds and I get to the recovery console.

I have a Winnt.sif file, and haven't removed the winnt.exe file.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:04 pm

Recovery Console is a different repair. I beleive he was asking about XP Repair. It allows the disk to remove many system files from the system and restore them if a system file had been corrupted or something. ;)

Recovery console is useful if you know the exact file to replace.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Roguedog

Post by Roguedog » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:14 pm

Thanks Siginet.

I dove a little futher into the Windows Power Packer help file after what you said about the winnt.sif file and found this;

2A. "Unattended" Verses "User Attended"
This is a pretty important section. If you choose "User Attended" you can not add driverpacks. "User Attended is mainly used as a pack that will allow you to do Windows XP Repairs. When you choose "Unattended" you can not perform a repair... but you can do many other things. "Unattended" allows you the ability to add "BTS DriverPacks" (which will be explained later) and also you can use an answer file (winnt.sif) which will answer most or all of the windows setup questions, making everything "Unattended."

Windows XP gives you 3 options to fix your installation;

1. The first is right after the option Press F6 for SCSI or RAID which is press F2 to run automatic system recovery(ASR)

2. The next option is " To repair using Recovery Console, press R

This next one is the one I wanted to do, which happens after you press F8 to accept the license

3. To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.

I'm on my second integrated version, nLite has an option to include all hotfixes, dirverpacks, etc and without a unattended (winnt.sif).

Next I want to try the "Tripack" option in Power Packer.

Thanks everyone for the help!

dumpydooby

Post by dumpydooby » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:39 pm

Over on MSFN, someone made a small recover console disc. He puts it on pen drives.

Just throwin' that out there. It might help.

Judge_MC1

Post by Judge_MC1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:52 pm

How to install and use the WinXP Recovery Console http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;307654

If your system wont boot I dont think you can use SFC. Time to dig out your trusty WinPE or SupaDoopa Recovery CD :)

Could always try an inplace upgrade or reinstall.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:57 am

Umm people... this is not a thread about the Recovery Console, It's about the setup repair. ;) They are 2 totally different things.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

Judge_MC1

Post by Judge_MC1 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:18 pm

hehe, guess I should have explained my thinking rather than suggesting stuff ... I thought his install was corrupt - possibly hardware failure - which would account for the reason why the install cd wouldnt give him the repair option - it couldnt find an existing installation.

In practice its probably easier to do a in place install over the top of the existing install to fix up any system file problems. In my experience the repair option is just doing this anyway.

SFC is a great tool to check a couple of files, but not so great if your system is b0rked and wont boot to even safe mode.

The Windows Recovery Console is also great for fixing MBR, boot file problems.

Hope thats a bit more on track :)