RyanVM and Vista!?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
SoKoOLz

RyanVM and Vista!?

Post by SoKoOLz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi guys,

Since the new Microsoft Vista will be coming out very soon. There are couple of questions I've been thinking about and wanna share with u guys.

----------------------
Will RyanIntegrator works on the new Vista OS?

Are we able to develop addons,switchless installer, and update pack just like the way they used to be?

Are we going to use Vista or XP OS as our main OS?
-----------------------

What do u guys think? :shock:

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Will RyanIntegrator works on the new Vista OS?
Answer: It is planned for the future... but not anytime soon that I am aware of. Vista is a much different beast. So a lot of modifications will probably be needed in the integrator.

Are we able to develop addons,switchless installer, and update pack just like the way they used to be?
I am pretty sure it will be possible to do all of this when that time comes. ;)

Are we going to use Vista or XP OS as our main OS?
As of now XP is the main. I have a feeling after Vistas release the XP UpdatePacks will still be more popular. I'm sure many people will not go to Vista for a while. So the xp updatepacks will come in handy even then. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:02 pm

yeah, vista has a long way to get yet. I think they will probably delay it again. I just tried rc1 and it turned into constant crashing. I was also screwed since i did not have an xp cd burned (i keep my cds as iso files and use legit keys). I had to find burner software that worked without a device driver. I finally found ultraiso trial :) But i would not reconmend vista. After vista comes out i am considering switching to linux and using wine to run my windows apps.

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:14 pm

Yeah im with you The Creator, Linux with a glass of wine! Vista will have many problems when its released.

ScOOt3r!
Go Canada Go!

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:26 pm

Wait until SP2. On a serious note, I've been running Vista on a spare machine at work now for quite some time and I find nothing about it compelling to where I would even want to go to it for my own computers. I get heart palpatations just thinking about all of the retraining that non-tech users will need.

Sometimes I think that Ubuntu would be an easier transition. 95% of what most people would need can be accomplished with Firefox and OOo.

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:53 pm

Vista?... SP3 hasnt even been released yet... :evil:

Cmon Micro$oft were waiting... :x

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:46 am

Yeah, microsoft is being really harsh with xp and legit. Think of how much they will spy on you with vista. Windows is becoming spyware. Look at the alexa spyware that was not mentioned by microsoft when it was put into xp! I think there will be a massive shift to linux. I hope ryan has an integrator made for ubuntu or the fedora core! :lol:

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:03 am

The Creator wrote:I think there will be a massive shift to linux. I hope ryan has an integrator made for ubuntu or the fedora core! :lol:
As much as I'd like to agree with you I just don't see it happening. Maybe a smaller shift.. like MS loses around 2 - 4% of the desktop share in the next couple of years. And even that's kind of optimistic.

Where they're going to lose their shirts is with Office. Nobody uses any of the collaborative features. I mean nobody. I've been in this business forever now and I've had idle chatter with probably hundreds of sys admins. My extensive use of custom Word templates was about the most advanced thing I'd seen. With a little more work and fine tuning I could see OOo approaching the lion's share of that segment.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:48 pm

@The Creator, I installed Vista RC1 on a virtual disc with VMware Workstation, and it worked absolutely flawless... So it might just be you doing something wrong. Besides, if you install it on a virtual disc you don't touch your main OS, so if things do get wrong it doesn't matter.

@ricktendo64, SP3 is planned to be released after Vista, so it could take a while. It should include IE7 and WMP11 along with all the other updates after SP2, maybe some more stuff.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Btw, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP#Service_Pack_3 is a link I found. Yeah I know, it's Wikipedia, not the *cough* best source *cough* around, but what is on the internet these days. ;)

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:31 pm

ViVa wrote:@ricktendo64, SP3 is planned to be released after Vista, so it could take a while. It should include IE7 and WMP11 along with all the other updates after SP2, maybe some more stuff.
Dont forget a much more agressive WGA, It will be harder for crackers to crack SP3.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:36 pm

Of course WGA, but I don't care if it's harder to crack... Everything is crackable in the end?

I'm personally more interested in Vista then in XP SP3 btw. ;p Have you tried it out already?

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:48 pm

NO

SoKoOLz

Post by SoKoOLz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:57 am

I've tried it already....it seems that u dont have to update anything anymore....
But still MS seems to come up with the new version of the update that are alredy exist in SP3.
That means u can't get the newer update if u uses SP3 right now.

These new updates are not for everything in SP3 but just a few things....
But u can try it anyway @ http://www.thehotfix.net/

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:08 am

@ricktendo64, whatever.

@SoKoOLz, I think thehotfix.net is just plain bullshit, you can't even compare it to Ryan's Pack...

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:11 am

Yeah, I'm planning on doing a Vista update pack at some point in the future, but the Vista install CD is created in an entirely different way than the Win2K/WinXP install discs, so as Siginet said, it's going to require a lot of changes to the Integrator to support it.

Also, I'm personally going to be staying with XP until I have hardware which necessitates Vista (in other words, a DX10 video card - which I probably won't have until well after Vista SP1). I just hope the release of Vista means they'll finally be able to shift some developers back to XPSP3.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:12 am

yeah vista stores all its files in this giant file doesnt it? It has been a while since i looked at a vista cd. Last time i looked there was a file on there that was 1.82 gigs.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:07 am

Yeah, they use a giant WIM file

roweezy

Post by roweezy » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Dont even think about Vista until the DirectX 10 cards come out and fully certified for DX10 on Vista.

RogueSpear

Post by RogueSpear » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:33 pm

You're the guy who PMed me to "not even think about OOo until version 2.1.0" or something or another. I think we're capable of thinking for ourselves.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:42 pm

nVidia's GeForce 8800 cards are DirectX 10 certified and they hard-launched a few days ago. I guess it's time for Ryan to get to work. ;) :P

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:45 pm

Hey, if you'll buy me an 8800GTX, I'll get right on it ;) :P

yumeyao

Post by yumeyao » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:09 am

I'm running on GF440MX.......
Vista seems too far away from me..
My work list(Hosted by dumpydooby)

corpseslayer

Post by corpseslayer » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:21 am

HI guys, sorry it's been a while :)

I got a new job, i repackage programs for a living now LOL. Talk about a pain in the ass job! Anyway before i skip off topic. I'm a bit like Rogue in the fact that I've got a spare test box in work with visa on it (RC2) but it's nothing special and again I also agree that ubuntu and OO would be a much better looking and running replacement and it runs on 256MB! But there will be no noticible shift from MS-Linux for several reasons.

1), The monopoly, what other company can get spyware into their product installed without you permission and no one legal person bats an eyelid? Not to menton the daily calls home... maybe it records your keystrokes? screengrabs? who knows.......

2) Gamers. The core of the monster pc's (and thoes DX10 GFX cards). Sure WOW can run on linux but i doesnt' run as well. Linux is a cliche group too small for game developers to see money in it and the linux community prefers Open Source.

3) Support costs. Most linux varients are a nightmare for new users, I had a wireless card that failed to connect and dumped me to a terminal when trying to log in. No error message or nothing just dumped. Kinda like a BSOD. Trouble shooting linux is a nightmare. Then there is the retraining, vista is dfferent sure but its not that different, the fundementals remain the same, its more likly the tech stuff thats 'hidden' and will annoy us techies.

Short of every single person, buisness and school bootlegging vista and office 2007 theres never going to be a world without MS WGA, OGA, Spyware, IE flaws and security holes. If no one bought legal copies, MS might be force to realise that a product should be robust out the box, not 'run lame' till the next patch cycle. But i doubt that would happen, the gfx card, MB and CPU companies would still pony up their brown paper bags of cash to MS to release another flawed, resource hungry OS so they could peddle their wares.

If i get one more false positive on my XP my next pc's gonna be a I-mac........
"The strong survive, we will survive, f**k all the enemies we have got" - Ian Stuart
"Use you illusions let them take you where they may till you live and learn sometimes it's best to walk away" - W. Axl Rose
"Democracy is the illusion of equality. While one man is rich and another is poor there is no equality" - Adolf Hitler

Nightwolf81

Post by Nightwolf81 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:42 am

If i get one more false positive on my XP my next pc's gonna be a I-mac........
DON'T EVEN JOKE ABOUT THAT.

But I guess you have you own opinion!!

I tried useing a mac (it's fine for using applications) except when the app just disapear (no warning. . . no error. . . just gone. . . Lost 45 minutes work right there).

Then I thought I'd mosey on over to check out the OS files (To dam confusing). . . it's like linux (which is also confusing. . . well new to me)

I AM A HARDCORE Windows user from when it was just a DOS, now I just can't seam to switch to Linux (no real reason to yet)!

Tweaking on a mac (while not nesacerry. . . I'd miss it). the OS resource hacks. . . Reg tweaks to enable/disable stuff. . . AND NO RYANVM!! arghhhhhhhhh :shock: