WinUpdateList v. 1.12 and more

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
chuckenheimer

WinUpdateList v. 1.12 and more

Post by chuckenheimer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:30 pm

Ryan,

Your work is admirable and I intend to understand more quickly. I have two issues that need to be addressed:

1 - In the previous drop you utilized WinUpdateList v. 1.12 by NirSoft but I am showing an I-Spy passsword cracker/stealer from CounterSpy and wondered if you might have any idea why this is. Also, the WinUpdateList icon in the Control Panel indicates "missing info" during mouse over AND there seems to be no way to delete it from its context menu. I'm curious, too, why the wul.exe file and help file is stored in the \SYSTEM32 subdirectory? Possibly more appropriate in the \Program Files subdirectory maybe?

2 - I have a ThinkPad A-31 where IBM provides two recovery CDs. These install the specialized drivers for the machine along with WinXP Pro /no service pack. I apply SP2 manually and update from the Windows Update site and next I update the IBM drivers in a similar manner. Is there any way to come up with a bootable CD that will install the opsys to the same level that it takes me almost 4 hours to complete. NOTE: I do a manual search of IBM's website to confirm their update utility has not left any driver back-leveled which adds some time, too.

Finally, I like your idea about copying the updates directly to the CD itself so the operating system doesn't recognize them as updates after applied to the system. I'm new to your process but will read further and hopefully be able to contribute on your forum.

Thanks again for your efforts!
Last edited by chuckenheimer on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:00 pm

please edit your topic title, no malware inside that file, i am using that too. also discuss that missing info in addons own thread. this is not place for that.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:33 pm

Nothing I make includes WinUpdateList. I have no idea where you're getting that from.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:18 pm

My older uberpacks included it.

chuckenheimer

Post by chuckenheimer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:17 am

Ryan,

Well, I'm back with some more questions, if in the right forum.

You asked where I had gotten the distribution with the WinUpdateList included and even though I cannot yet find the torrent, I do know the file was upped by "svedeviking" on another board I frequent.

Since I have found this forum, I am more inclined to create my own with your software. Have you ever considered creating Add-Ons for other media players and the like?

I'll just drop back into lurkerdome for a while until I get things a bit more sorted.

Thanks for your efforts!

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:57 am

chuckenheimer wrote:Since I have found this forum, I am more inclined to create my own with your software. Have you ever considered creating Add-Ons for other media players and the like?
ant the like? I didnt understand what you ask, can you explain it some?

Kelsenellenelvian

Post by Kelsenellenelvian » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:51 am

Methinks he needs to look at the forums better! :P

chuckenheimer

Post by chuckenheimer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:21 pm

chuckenheimer wrote:Since I have found this forum, I am more inclined to create my own with your software. Have you ever considered creating Add-Ons for other media players and the like?
MrNxDmx wrote: and the like? I didnt understand what you ask, can you explain it some?
Actually, as I am becoming more familiar with Ryan's software concept (haven't actually tried it just yet), I am beginning to see that one can customize their WinXP Pro w/SP2 installation CD-ROM. That appears to be the main thrust of what I am trying to do. As to creating an Add-On for a media players other than WMP 10 (don't want to use MS software for this), I was thinking about VLC, CoreCodec, Crystal Player, etc. the ones I use on my system. In other words, I am hoping to find that the software programmers here aren't myopically Windows-centric to the exclusion of other software options fpr automatic customization into the installation CD.

Being an end-user with no programming skills, I rely on the efforts of others who kindly develop the customizing software which reduces the labor intensiveness of having to install Windows, over and over again. Even with the use of imaging software, I find that is not enough to protect my configurations and, furthermore, I tend to tear down and rebuild my opsys more often that I'd like to admit.

As an aside, I'm still trying to locate that previous version of the installation CD that brought me to this forum.

Thanks.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:18 pm

chuckenheimer wrote:I am hoping to find that the software programmers here aren't myopically Windows-centric to the exclusion of other software options...
I would say most people here should meet your expectations. A VideoLAN addon has already been created:

[Release] VLC Media Player Addon Pack 0.8.4a

While I can't guarantee that someone will create addons for the others, one way of making it easier for them to do so would be to provide links to the homepages of the software you'd like to request.
chuckenheimer wrote:I'm still trying to locate that previous version of the installation CD that brought me to this forum.
Even if you do find it, it will most likely either be hopelessly out of date or so FUBARed "customized" as to make it unusable as a starting point for anything you'll find here. It's much better to start from a clean source anyway. ;)

chuckenheimer

Post by chuckenheimer » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:00 pm

Seraph,
chuckenheimer wrote:I am hoping to find that the software programmers here aren't myopically Windows-centric to the exclusion of other software options...
5eraph wrote:I would say most people here should meet your expectations. A VideoLAN addon has already been created...
I somewhat expected but wasn't sure. VLC is a good client, too, but I have begun using Crystal Player with ffdshow.
5eraph wrote:While I can't guarantee that someone will create addons for the others, one way of making it easier for them to do so would be to provide links to the homepages of the software you'd like to request.
Noted.
chuckenheimer wrote:I'm still trying to locate that previous version of the installation CD that brought me to this forum.
5eraph wrote:Even if you do find it, it will most likely either be hopelessly out of date or so FUBARed "customized" as to make it unusable as a starting point for anything you'll find here. It's much better to start from a clean source anyway. ;)
Thus the skinning of my knee applying it and the source of my unhappiness seeing malware afterward. My demeanor initially was less than neighborly. Sorry. And might I say I truly appreciate your understanding. Thank you for being such an angel.