no more MS updates for non-genuine versions of Windows Xp

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
MrNxDmX

no more MS updates for non-genuine versions of Windows Xp

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:18 pm

Hello Ryan,
I found this on MSFN:

Microsoft is no longer providing updates to non-genuine versions of its Windows XP operating system. From today, the company has switched over to a full launch of its Windows Genuine Advantage Programme as part of its ongoing anti-piracy campaign. Users will now have to join the WGA authentication program if they want to receive software updates from the Microsoft Download Centre or from Windows Update. However, MS says it will still provide security patches for pirated systems, which will be available via Automatic Updates in Windows.

To register for the WGA, users just need to visit the Microsoft Download Centre, Windows Update or Microsoft Update. There they will be prompted to download an ActiveX control that checks the authenticity of their Windows software and, if Windows is validated, stores a download key on the PC for future verification.
http://msfn.org/comments.php?shownews=13826
---
So, will this affect your job?
And also others?
Thanks

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:46 pm

I hope ryan is using a legal windows, hehe. :P

leviathan

Post by leviathan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:55 pm

I doubt this will have any problems. Effectively, for Ryan's pack to work, you would have to reinstall Windows each time a new version of the pack came out to run Windows Updates. Microsoft is going to continue to release security updates for pirated versions of Windows, but not the extras, like MDAC, Windows Media Player 10, Windows Antispyware, etc. The KB articles and their fixes shouldn't prove an issue, technically.

The only problem that might occur would be the inclusion of programs that Microsoft requires you to use the Genuine Advantage to receive. Even then, Media Player 10 has been available for forever and a day. I've got a copy on a flash key from before it was necessary to use Genuine Advantage. So enforcing that program would be a little difficult. However, IE7 and WMP 11 could pose as problems, as they will be released after Microsoft GA.

Autopatcher would have more trouble than the RyanVM pack. But I doubt Microsoft will even care. It is too simple for someone to go download IE 7 when it comes out, 7zip it, and ship it out on torrents or in a pack like Autopatcher. Catching all these people would be too time consuming and exhaustive for Microsoft.

But I wouldn't be surprised if someone released a competitor for Windows Update. It could use a distributed peer system like Bittorrent to download updates for the OS and install.

However, if you have a legit copy of Windows, you should be okay. I'm worried about my XP, because we receive ours through our Microsoft Campus Agreement. All we need is our thousands of machines at the University and branches to connect to Windows Update with the same key and Microsoft's GA software freak out and ban our university as a pirate.

Just my two cents. I relinquish my control over the soapbox.
--Leviathan
Manual integration is the only right type of integration!

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Hey men, one minute ago I went to Microsoft Update, And wada:
It wants me to install the validation tool.
I am in Turkey, and using a Turkish Xp Sp2.
Did it happen to you?

mindwarper

Post by mindwarper » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:15 pm

MrNxDmx wrote:Hey men, one minute ago I went to Microsoft Update, And wada:
Did it happen to you?
it even happens with my XP Pro sp2 english...
and on windowsupdate.com gives me this...

check this screenshot...
Screenshot

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:19 pm

mindwarper wrote:
MrNxDmx wrote:Hey men, one minute ago I went to Microsoft Update, And wada:
Did it happen to you?
it even happens with my XP Pro sp2 english...
and on windowsupdate.com gives me this...

check this screenshot...
Screenshot
Yes, it's the same as mine.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:45 pm

Regarding WGA:
1) I won't be doing anything which will allow the user to circumvent WGA after they install Windows.
2) I haven't decided whether or not I'll include the tool, but I'm leaning towards not doing so.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

mindwarper

Post by mindwarper » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:07 pm

RyanVM wrote:Regarding WGA:
1) I won't be doing anything which will allow the user to circumvent WGA after they install Windows.
2) I haven't decided whether or not I'll include the tool, but I'm leaning towards not doing so.
I would be glad if u decide not to integrate that darn stupid tool of theirs...
I do not fully understand it yet, why it should be so useful.. se my response below... and I am not that fond of ActivEX anyways.. :(
This action of M$ now really spoils me the pleasure of making a new installation WinXP CD with RyanVM 1.3.0 integrated soon, and nLited too..
I have not installed my PC yet, just because of the future release of pack 1.3.0. by RyanVM.

Will make it anyways, but now I will not be able to get my updates via WU, which used to be very useful...
But there are different ways of accessing the updates to be released in future, I hope...

and if u search the net around, u will find some "surprises"....

And why is that pleasure gone, because the prices of M$ products are so steep, and require users to renew their licenses or buy new versions every several years...
If their products would be priced more competitvely then it would be easier to buy for many more people...

But this takes us beyond the scope of this thread...

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:05 am

Yes, don't include it.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:39 am

Microsoft Genuine Tool Fix
now stop complaining about the damn tool its no longer relavant
Last edited by dgelwin on Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't sweat petty things....or pet sweaty things

ZenLord

Post by ZenLord » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:28 am

RyanVM wrote:Regarding WGA:
My vote is to include it. You need it anyways to get anything from their downloading pages, and every user has the right to disable the WGA-tool himself: just goto internet options > programs > manage add-ons > click disable when WGA-tool has been selected.

I guess this is not illegal if MS has made it possible themselves to disable it?!

BTW: you need to have the tool installed before you can disable it - duh! ;)

Zl.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:39 am

Disabeling the tool in the manage add-ons section does not work it just calls for a reinstall of the tool when you visit WindowsUpdate and there are also 2 problems with that
1 It will work if you have a genuine copy because the info is stored in another place so turn off add-on doesnt matter
2 For some reason not all copy of windows xp shows the genuine tool add-on in the add-ons menu, by default it is supposed to be hidden.

--note
as i stated above Click Here for Fix

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:35 am

No more problems with WGA validation tool, for a while of course.

dgelwin

Post by dgelwin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:32 pm

tell me NrMxDmx have you tried the fix, plz i would like to know if it was just a fluke that it worked for me i would not like to be know for posting software that doesnt fullfille its purpose. i would really like to know if it works on different versions of windows, so far, windows corp and windows pro have been known to work

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:04 am

Yes dgelwin, I used the fix which Rafael explains,and it worked for my Turkish language version of windows xp pro sp2.And there are more ways of bypassing wga of course.