Media Players (Split from Where's the Next Version thread)

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
Link

Post by Link » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:50 pm

Will there be a lite pack of 1.3 that doesn't include WMP 10?? I don't want WMP 10 and want to stick with WMP 9??

Does WMP 10 even have any new features that aren't offered in WMP 9 besides more DRM infested junk, MS phone home playlists?? As far as I know, that's all WMP 10 has over WMP 9, all of which I don't want.

mindwarper

Post by mindwarper » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:53 pm

Link wrote:Will there be a lite pack of 1.3 that doesn't include WMP 10?? I don't want WMP 10 and want to stick with WMP 9??

Does WMP 10 even have any new features that aren't offered in WMP 9 besides more DRM infested junk, MS phone home playlists?? As far as I know, that's all WMP 10 has over WMP 9, all of which I don't want.
You can always remove it afterwards using nLite, so I don´t really care if it is included in next 1.3.0 pack...

MayB it´ll come in handy later on, dunno...

But I´ll hold out for the medium pack, since that is what I always tend to use before (i.e. 1.2.2 and 1.2.2b medium)
So I will wait then haha :)

gdogg

Post by gdogg » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:32 pm

Link wrote:Will there be a lite pack of 1.3 that doesn't include WMP 10?? I don't want WMP 10 and want to stick with WMP 9??

first off no ones forcing you to use it

second, if you have a third firewall this doesn't happen does it

third, there are tweaks in nlite to stop these phone home things

forth, ryanvm plans to add wmp 10 tweaks too, to possibly stop this also

Link

Post by Link » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:08 pm

gdogg wrote:

first off no ones forcing you to use it

second, if you have a third firewall this doesn't happen does it

third, there are tweaks in nlite to stop these phone home things

forth, ryanvm plans to add wmp 10 tweaks too, to possibly stop this also

I wasn't complaining. All I did was ask. Just like previous update packs had a lite version that ommitted some major updates that some don't want. Also, it's not that simple to just remove WMP 10 with nlite if you don't want it. What if you don't want WMP 10, but do want WMP 9?? You won't have either WMP 9 or 10 if you remove it with nlite. Windows XP SP2 installs WMP 9 by default, and what if you want to keep it at that? That is why I think there should be a lite version without WMP 10 just like there were lite version without the High Mat CD wizard.

Also, what about the other question I asked. Does WMP 10 offer any improvements over WMP 9 besides the features I mentioned that I wouldn't want??

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:36 pm

@Link

What are you gonna do when SP3 comes out?
It'll be forced on you anyway and you won't have the option of using WMP9
You might as well use it now and get used to it.

Plus WMP11 beta will be out soon too
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

Link

Post by Link » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:25 pm

orcoxp wrote:@Link

What are you gonna do when SP3 comes out?
It'll be forced on you anyway and you won't have the option of using WMP9
You might as well use it now and get used to it.

Plus WMP11 beta will be out soon too
SP3 isn't due out for quite some time.l I believe SP2 will be supported for a long time. Also, I'm hoping that between now and the time SP3 does come out, a non-MS alternative media player will come out that offers all the compatibility and features of WMP 9, and doesn't contain bloated DRM junk. Then I will just remove WMP 10 or 11 from XP SP3 with nlite and then just use the third party alternative media player that I hope comes out as an all in one replacement for WMP, but with more flexibility.

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:47 pm

@Link:

I think you'd be interested to know that such a player already exists: Media Player Classic. It can be found on SourceForge along with other projects developed by the same group. This player is also included with the K-Lite Codec Pack and the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. It doesn't look as nice, but it gets the job done.

My suggestion to you would be to integrate Ryan's pack, remove WMP with nLite, then install the Mega Codec Pack during Windows installation to gain full media functionality (including RealMedia and QuickTime). Instructions for creating an unattended installation are included in each codec pack.

gdogg

Post by gdogg » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:20 pm

if you dont mind looks
look no futher than VLC (google that)

it plays all movies (except real media )
quicktime does play, xvid divx wmv etc
and no need to install codecs, isn't that great?

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:43 pm

I forgot about VLC Media Player. It also plays CD and DVD ISOs if you have movies or music in that format. :)

OCedHrt

Post by OCedHrt » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:55 am

VLC does not support unicode and that is a big setback for many of us.

On the otherhand, I'm glad 1.3 is almost ready :)

maska

Post by maska » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:59 am

And another offtopic post: there is another player that can play even DRM 2000 content. And yes, it's by far the best available now. And it's getting better and better. But it's not free. It's called Zoom Player. 8)

Link

Post by Link » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:37 pm

5eraph wrote:@Link:

I think you'd be interested to know that such a player already exists: Media Player Classic. It can be found on SourceForge along with other projects developed by the same group. This player is also included with the K-Lite Codec Pack and the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. It doesn't look as nice, but it gets the job done.

My suggestion to you would be to integrate Ryan's pack, remove WMP with nLite, then install the Mega Codec Pack during Windows installation to gain full media functionality (including RealMedia and QuickTime). Instructions for creating an unattended installation are included in each codec pack.

Does that Media Player support listening to audio and video streams via the Internet?? If not, than that is a feature that it is missing.

Anyways, does WMP 10 include any new useful features that aren't offered in WMP 9 besides besides more online content stores and easier navigation of media files?

Any sites that compare the features of WMP 9 vs WMP 10??

buletov

Post by buletov » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:59 pm

Well it offers a better fullscreen mode... without that idiotic image scaling when you move your mouse. And it's faster.
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.