IE 7 confirmed breaks some apps (such as Quickbooks)

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
smc1979

IE 7 confirmed breaks some apps (such as Quickbooks)

Post by smc1979 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:14 am

I had read on the forums here the IE7 may break some programs.

well a lot of my customers use quickbooks, from 2003 and up and turns out IE7 breaks quickbooks.

http://www.quickbooks.com/helpcenter/IE ... enter.aspx

I know there has been some issues if IE7 should be in the update pack, but I don't think it should as it will break things.

This may be the wrong place to post this please don't bash just tell me where to move it.

Nightwolf81

Post by Nightwolf81 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:22 am

Another annoyance with IE7 that I have. . .

TWICE now I've reinstalled used it for a few days then FLOP the tabs stop working from the context menus or middle mouse button. . .

it's the best layout I've seen in a web browser . . seams to look the part. . . but I'll DITCH IT if it doesn't act like a professional Tool!!

:x

Well lets see where vista will take us . . . to the dark ages. . . when nothing is as it should be!!!

Keep up the work 'Microsoft'

notice I left out good!!!

buletov

Post by buletov » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:38 am

I heard it's running a way faster on Vista...
Never know what life is gonna throw at you.

smc1979

update pack

Post by smc1979 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:17 pm

thing is, is if IE7 is added to the update pack I can no longer use the update pack as long as IE7 will be in it. Until IE7 is updated to fix the breaking it does (which I doubt will happen) I have to stay away from it on certain customers computers.

Of course until I look into quickbooks claims that IE7 breaks there old version (you'll notice they wont put any patches out for versions before 2006) it could just be a ploy for them to force people to upgrade.

I did notice that the quickbooks 2003 that I have does work, just the updater does not, completely broker. but I just manually download the update for it and it updates quickbooks and still works, just not anything IE specific.

hhmm not sure what to do. IE7 isnt going anywhere. I just cant believe MS wouldn't have backwards compatibility, they would have known better. All my programs I made with IE still work fine. So im confused.

newsposter

Re: update pack

Post by newsposter » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:01 pm

smc1979 wrote: I just cant believe MS wouldn't have backwards compatibility, they would have known better.
You're kidding, right?!?

smc1979

nope

Post by smc1979 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:25 pm

no im not kidding. I know Microsoft *knows* better, weather or not they do it is the question. They knew what would happen if IE7 broke things, I don't think every single person at M$ is evil. just the management. Its a Dilbert cartoon fro crying out loud. There programmers have skill, but they can only do what they are told. I am a programmer and know exactly how that can be.

I can and cant believe M$ would do it. I would love to sit in one of there meeting and see how on earth they come up with the of the things they do.

Example would be a programmer saying "we cant do this it will break compatibility" and the boss saying "whats that?"

who knows?

I wont bash and I wont praise M$. they are on there own.

But the point is IE7 does break things for what I use for my customers. If it is in the update pack I can no longer use it. IE 7 should be a addon only.

but my words mean little, so who knows.

Just voicing my opinion.

SMC

jimmsta

Post by jimmsta » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:54 am

In this case, it's probably NOT ENTIRELY microsoft's fault.

Quickbooks uses mshtml.dll as its method for downloading updates. Since functionality has changed in that DLL, quickbooks does not know how to compensate, and the update feature ends up broken.

Now, I have to worry that my boss's computer will autoupdate to IE7, and we'll be left with a bunch of broken applications (Quickbooks 2006, and Quickbooks Point of Sale 5).

So, yes, it is a Microsoft problem, when it comes to backward compatibility... but it's Quickbooks' problem when it comes to relying on code that may change from version to version on different systems. Basically, this is a sign of poor coding on the QB Dev's part.
Creator of BootZilla Utility Compilation

smc1979

true

Post by smc1979 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:10 am

That is very true.

I was wondering the same thing about quickbooks. At this point I know they don't make updates for any of there old versions any more to force people to upgrade. So I install xp, install quickbooks, run the updater then install IE7 since the updater wont be needed any more.

So in this case I can still get things to work.

So main reason I don't want IE7 added to the update pack is that I need to get things done and updated with IE6

With quickbooks being a very largely used program I hope Ryan will consider leaving it out and making it as a addon only.

SMC

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:33 am

I wonder how many people actually use the 2003 version still...

My personal take on it is that updates can still be downloaded through their website, so I'm hesitant to say that ultimately an issue like that which affects a relatively small group of users would stop me from putting IE7 in a pack which benefits tens of thousands. It's an inconvenience, yes, but it's not an end of the world showstopper bug either.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

smc1979

more versions

Post by smc1979 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 am

it affects versions 2005 and below. they put a patch for 2006 for it and say making a patch for 2005. so it just isnt 2003.

And so far every single customer I have uses v2005 or below.

Also, (I may be wrong on this) I have noticed that the update download they have on there site isn't everything. I have downloaded it , install it, then run the updater and the updater still fines things to download.

Maybe a bug or maybe they don't release everything via manual download. Im not totally sure though. As is I would have to manually download updates then for 2006 and below.

But maybe your right. Im just trying to avoid headaches. but my one headache may not be worth it.

QuickBooks 2007 and Enterprise 7.0: Compatible with Internet Explorer 7.
QuickBooks 2006 and Enterprise 6.0: Compatible after installing free Product Update.
QuickBooks 2005 and Enterprise 5.0: Currently requires Internet Explorer 6 and is not compatible with Internet Explorer 7. To continue to use QuickBooks 2005, do not upgrade to Internet Explorer 7. If you have already upgraded to Internet Explorer 7, we recommend that you revert to Internet Explorer 6. We are working on an update to QuickBooks 2005 to make it compatible with Internet Explorer 7. Check back regularly to the Internet Explorer Resource Center for update information.
QuickBooks 2004 and Enterprise 4.0 or earlier: Requires Internet Explorer 6 and is not compatible with Internet Explorer 7. To continue to use these older versions of QuickBooks without interruption, do not install Internet Explorer 7. If you have already upgraded to Internet Explorer 7, we recommend that you revert to Internet Explorer 6.