[Slipstreamer] Office 2003 Post-SP2 Updates

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
ViVa

[Slipstreamer] Office 2003 Post-SP2 Updates

Post by ViVa » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:39 am

Last edited by ViVa on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 68 times in total.

Mandarin

Post by Mandarin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:47 am

I've slipstreamed some into my Office CD already - with the full list I can do an up to date CD.
This is a good resource - the only way otherwise was to do a clean install and then visit MS update to see which updates it was asking for.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:27 am

For completeness:

To slipstream a hotfix, unpack the .exe with e.g. 7-Zip. It's the .msp file you need, sometimes a hotfix comes with 2 .msp files. Type this in your command prompt to slipstream it:

"Hotfix.msp /a D:\Office\PRO11.MSI" (without the quotes).

And D:\Office being the folder containing the administrative install files of Office 2003 SP2.

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:22 pm

Look here at post #12. If you merge the reg file, which you can download from the post, the updates from Microsoft update will gone away. However it's not a good idea to do so, because the reg is out of date and some updates are replaced with new ones. Probably it's enought to install Office 2003 with SP2 integrated and then to install all available updates and then to export all keys from this registry path

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\9040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C\Patches
to have the needed keys for the updates
I don't have enought time at this moment to test this, so if anyone decide to check if this is working, can post the results here

Also may be this should be added to the list, not realy an update but it looks quite useful
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:32 am

It's not a hotfix which appears on MU, so I won't add it to the list.

I tested the reg entries, and it works, updates don't appear on MU / OU.
Last edited by ViVa on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:09 pm

Added december updates.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:09 am

I'm currently developing a slipstreamer which integrates all the post-SP2 hotfixes into the install, including the required registry entries, looks like everything works, stay tuned.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:32 am

Slipstream script is up.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:13 pm

You beat me to it Viva! :D I was starting to develope one too. LOL!

But I'll stop my development on it then and let you take over. If you'd like some help with a gui let me know. I can also give you a forum section on my forums. You'll see that just a couple days ago I posted that I had begun working on my Office Slipstreamer.

I had needed to update my office disk for a long time... so whenever I actually do something like that I usually develope a tool at the same time to simplify my work in the future and share it with others. I have a couple ideas if you are interested PM Me. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:22 pm

Thanks Sigi, PM'ed. ;)

I had the exact same idea about simplifying my work and share it with others.

OverFlow

Post by OverFlow » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:06 am

ViVa wrote:Thanks Sigi, PM'ed. ;)

I had the exact same idea about simplifying my work and share it with others.
I did this about six weeks ago
original post -> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=& ... t&p=578482

started new thread today -> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act ... 89038&st=0

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 am

Hello OverFlow,

I noticed you are not defining this string:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\9040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C\Patches]
"AllPatches"=""
I believe it's needed as well.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you are trying to say, I didn't see about your own project, I just started from scratch with my own idea. After that I found out Siginet came up with this idea as well, but it appeared I just beat him with this package. Of course this is far from beautiful, Siginet and me will develop an application to automate the process, instead of the .cmd and .reg files, but it's nice to see there are more people trying to develop something like this. :)

Regards,

- ViVa

tamilcheetas

Post by tamilcheetas » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:12 pm

colornokia wrote: Also may be this should be added to the list, not realy an update but it looks quite useful
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats
If you want, i'll make a addon for that.

P'm me.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:46 pm

Err, isn't that something for Office and not Windows? If Office, how did you think RyanVM Integrator would integrate it, or is it just me? ;)

tamilcheetas

Post by tamilcheetas » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:52 pm

ViVa wrote:Err, isn't that something for Office and not Windows? If Office, how did you think RyanVM Integrator would integrate it, or is it just me? ;)
Sorry viva,

It'll installed after installation of office via SVCPACK,
I'm sure its not for Windows.

Sorry for the Off--Topic :cry:

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Ah, thought so already. ;)

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:18 pm

Just for confirmation - you're going to make a tool for direct integration (no admin installation, directly in source). Wow if so, this will be very cool.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:43 pm

I don't think so, to integrate SP2 you need an admin installation, let alone for the Post-SP2 updates. But the process of making an administrative install will be automated as well, so the end-user won't notice the difference. This implies that it will also be possible to slipstream the latest Service Pack, maybe some other stuff as well.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:23 pm

I think this method would be the ultimate if we were able to automate it all. :(

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51225&hl=

But I have no idea how to (cleanly) automate the processes of orca.exe.

Is there any way to use orca.exe or another tool unattendedly?

This method is a way of directly integrating everything. I have done it before... and it is a royal pain to do.
Last edited by Siginet on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:33 pm

I assume you are talking about the InfoPath bug during setup caused by KB920103?
Last edited by ViVa on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:35 pm

Btw, just read about this:
Known issues during the installation of the service pack
The following files are not installed by this hotfix package if the Microsoft .NET Framework is not installed on the computer:
• Infopath.cfg
• Ipclrwrp.dll
Note If .NET Framework was installed after the installation of Microsoft Office or of Infopath 2003, you may have to reinstall Office or Infopath before you install this update. This makes sure that the files that are listed are updated correctly.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:36 pm

So it's either this workaround or make sure .NET Framework is installed, so it appears.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:36 pm

Sorry I edited my post. I forgot the link. :rolleyes:
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

OverFlow

Post by OverFlow » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:37 am

ViVa wrote:Hello OverFlow,

I noticed you are not defining this string:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\9040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C\Patches]
"AllPatches"=""
I believe it's needed as well.

Secondly, I'm not sure what you are trying to say, I didn't see about your own project, I just started from scratch with my own idea. After that I found out Siginet came up with this idea as well, but it appeared I just beat him with this package. Of course this is far from beautiful, Siginet and me will develop an application to automate the process, instead of the .cmd and .reg files, but it's nice to see there are more people trying to develop something like this. :)

Regards,

- ViVa
I was getting in on the tease about beating him to the punch. ;-P

no offense intended or taken.

the reg key is exactly the way it appears in my registry. Mine used to be quite a long string but for some reason the last time i did it that is what i found i cant explain it... but it works.

I was also looking for a way to script ORCA but found nada....

I did make a copy of my patched pro11.msp after my edit - but I'm not posting my install key for the world.

I was thinking of adding a line or two to optionaly create an admin install point but without the ability to deal with orca I saw no way to make a truely "finished" Script and just kind of put the project on the shelf until ms patches their patch. I've been kinda busy over at DPs anyway.

Help yourself to my code if you wish I'm not hoarding it i put it out there as a script instead of making it an exe (open source) so people could glean from it or just use it the way it is.

I think we are all of the same mind - a few of us together can make it better for all of us as a whole.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 am

The AllPatches registry string contains a list of all the hex numbers of the individual patches.

I too was thinking of just adding PRO11.msi to the package, and overwrite it after integration, as a temporary solution.

Is your key really hidden in PRO11.msi? I thought the administrative install also creates SETUP\SETUP.INI which has ProductCode for your Product ID under [Product], I believe that is the only thing added to the install files as it goes for a 'key', correct me if I'm wrong...

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:21 am

I found this tool called MAKEMSI. It's a freeware and if i'm getting it right, it should be able to export and then import tables in/from idt file. Here is a quote from the help file of MAKEMSI
"MAKEMSI" commands are implemented as "PPWIZARD" macros and become available for use after "MAKEMSI.MMH" has been processed. I am very open to suggestions for new commands or altering existing commands to make them more usable (while maintaining backwards compatability if possible), so email me any suggestions!
The "TableImportFromIdt" Command

The Microsoft ORCA (????) tool can be used to export some or all tables into an ".idt" format. As this format is a text format it is very easy to examine in a text editor and if revision controlled you would be able to keep a history of changes that have been made to the files.

As this command can import the .IDT files, this makes them a good candidate for use as template files. You could start each project from a completely empty database and import all you standard tables and rows.

Importing of tables is very quick (in "direct" mode).

This command takes these parameters:

File Mask for the ".IDT" files (positional)
This is the absolute or relative filemask to indicate which files you wish to import. The names of the tables and all other required information reside inside these files.

DIRECT (optional)
This parameter defaults to "Y" and "Y" or "N" should be passed. In direct mode the ".IDT" are directly (and quickly) imported.
When not direct MAKEMSI will create table and row commands which can be cut and pasted elsewhere. This could be useful if certain ".IDT" files needed to be frequently modified or you just wish its contents to be more visible.

EXAMPLE - Import .IDT files

This example shows how all ".IDT" files in a particular directory could be imported:

<$TableImportFromIdt "Exported IDT\*.idt">
also the help for the export command
The "TableExportToIdt" Command

This command allows you to export some or all tables in a database (in ".idt" format), all binary streams will also be extracted. The "Export to .IDT" facility (or "ORCA") are the easiest ways of manually exporting. You should probably read the "IDT Export Flakey" section.

To extract all files out of CAB files you could unarchive any extracted ".cab" files but its easier to use the installed "MSI MENU... do do this (administrative install).

This command takes these parameters:

TABLE (optional)
This is the complete name of a single table to be exported. It can export non-standard tables such as "_SummaryInformation" and "_ForceCodepage". If you supply this parameter you should not also supply "TABLES"!

TABLES (optional)
If you are not exporting a single table then you wish to export any table listed in "_Tables" matching a regular expression. If this parameter is not supplied then the regular expression for all entries is used. You regular expression should cover the full text of the table name. If you supply this parameter you should not also supply "TABLE"!
The regular expression "B.* matches any table which starts with upper case "B", and ".*B.* would match any table which contains an upper case "B".

DIR (optional)
This optional parameter specifies the directory where the ".IDT" files should be placed. Any extracted binary files will be placed into subdirectories.
The default for this parameter can be set via the DEFAULT_TABLEIE_EXPORT_DIRECTORY macro.

EXAMPLE - Import .IDT files

This example is the complete script required to export all tables in a database:

;--- Include the correct support (MAKEMSI.MMH/DEPT.MMH for MSI Creation) ----
#include "OpenMsi.MMH"

;--- Do the work ------------------------------------------------------------
<$Msi "UISAMPLE.msi" ReadOnly="Y">
<$TableExportToIdt> ;;All "normal" tables
<$TableExportToIdt TABLE="_SummaryInformation"> ;;Output summary information
<$TableExportToIdt TABLE="_ForceCodepage"> ;;Output database code page information
<$/Msi>

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:59 am

Uploaded new version including patched PRO11.MSI, so the InfoPath bug is gone. Also changed working path from \Office to \OFFICE11 for neatness sake, and some minor changes.

@colornokia, thanks! I will look into that asap! :D

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:34 am

Looks complicated, I have to export ALL the tables, change 2 entries in the one table I need, and create a new .MSI file... this is almost begging to cause bugs... I don't know what's more convenient, just overwrite PRO11.MSI with a manually patched version (done via Orca) or do all this stuff... Any suggestions?

pawan

Post by pawan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks Viva I have updated my Office 2003 CD, and its working fine (perfect). I have use patched PRO11.MSI, though I haven't installed INFOPATH.

Is/will there be a similar tool for Office 2007?

Pawan

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:46 am

I'm still experimenting but i managed to export only the tables we need. Copy PRO11.MSI to the root of drive C. Save the following code as test.mm at the root of drive C.

#include "OpenMsi.MMH"

;--- Define where files are -------------------------------------------------
#define Msi_SRC C:\PRO11.MSI

#DefineRexx ''
   ;--- Make sure the "source File" exists ---
   if FileQueryExists('<$Msi_SRC>') = '' then
      error('The file "<$Msi_SRC>" does not exist!',,'You should first copy "PRO11.MSI to root of drive C:"!');
#DefineRexx

;--- Export tables below -----------------------------------------------------
<$Msi "<$Msi_SRC>">
    <$TableExportToIdt TABLE="CabinetDetail">        ;;Output database code page information
	<$TableExportToIdt TABLE="Component">        ;;Output database code page information
	<$TableExportToIdt TABLE="Directory">        ;;Output database code page information
	<$TableExportToIdt TABLE="File">        ;;Output database code page information
	<$TableExportToIdt TABLE="Media">        ;;Output database code page information
<$/Msi>
Create a new empty file with the following content and save it as export.bat

c:
cd \
"%windir%\system32\WSCRIPT.EXE" "%programfiles%\MakeMsi\_MM.VBS" "C:\test.mm" P
Run export.bat

It's done!Also it creates a folder "out" which is a crap in our case but there is nothing we can do (really?). Now i'm going to test the import thing
Last edited by colornokia on Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:58 am

Done! Absolutly the sameway sa above.
After the previous step we have folder Exported IDT in drive C (C:\Exported IDT) and there are our .idt files. I decide to import edited Media.IDT (i replaced office 11 with office 12 in Media.IDT but you can do what you want :P)EDIT: Added and the rest of the .IDTs exported above!
First we should create new mm file (it's almost the same as previous, the difference is only at the bottom). Save it as test2.mm

#include "OpenMsi.MMH"

#DefineRexx ''
      error('The file "<$Msi_SRC>" does not exist!',,'You should first copy "PRO11.MSI to root of drive C:"!');
#DefineRexx

;--- Import tables below -----------------------------------------------------
<$Msi "<$Msi_SRC>">
<$TableImportFromIdt "Exported IDT\CabinetDetail.idt">
<$TableImportFromIdt "Exported IDT\Component.idt">
<$TableImportFromIdt "Exported IDT\Directory.idt">
<$TableImportFromIdt "Exported IDT\File.idt">
<$TableImportFromIdt "Exported IDT\Media.idt">
<$/Msi>
Create a new empty file with name import.bat and with the following content

c:
cd \
"%windir%\system32\WSCRIPT.EXE" "%programfiles%\MakeMsi\_MM.VBS" "C:\test2.mm" P
Run import.bat

I hope that this thing is going to help :)
Last edited by colornokia on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:12 pm

It exports properly, but when I make a manual change in File.idt for example, and then do the import, it's not changed in PRO11.MSI...?
Last edited by ViVa on Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:20 pm

@pawan, no, not that I know of, and this tool will focus on Office 2003 primarily. Maybe in the future it will also have support for Office 2007. :)

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:32 pm

ViVa wrote:This exports the table Media from PRO11.MSI to a file Media.idt?
The first one exports tables CabinetDetail, Component, Directory, File and Media from PRO11.MSI to CabinetDetail.idt, Component.idt etc... (you can add or remove what you need, but I added this 5 because they are needed for the method Siginet was talking about above)

The second one imports Media.idt to table Media in PRO11.MSI (I added just Media because I deside so :P only testing, you can add what you need)

However there is something new for testing... are the tables replaced or merged when they are imported? Should post this quickly :)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:35 pm

Updated my previous post, and lol :lol: looks like I misunderstood, I only applied changes to File.idt, will try it now, didn't read the exact code about importing, else I would know it only imports Media.idt ;)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:41 pm

Works perfectly, now to find a way to have "File.idt" automatically edited.

This is great colornokia, this means we don't need Orca any longer to do the job!! :D

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:53 pm

ViVa wrote:Works perfectly, now to find a way to have "File.idt" automatically edited.

This is great colornokia, this means we don't need Orca any longer to do the job!! :D
Indeed! Also i edited my "import post" and added the rest tables to eliminate the confusion :shock:

And the main point of this post - yes, the tables are replaced, not merged and that's cool (and this is also needed by the method mentioned by Siginet). May be this tool is what we are realy looking for. Also it's allowed do be distribuate BUT in the original zip file.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 pm

I took the liberty of generalizing the files below, since it's only the File table we need:

export.mm

#include "OpenMsi.MMH"

#DefineRexx ''
#DefineRexx

;--- Export tables below -----------------------------------------------------
<$Msi "<$Msi_SRC>">
	<$TableExportToIdt TABLE="File">
<$/Msi>

export.cmd

"%windir%\system32\WSCRIPT.EXE" "%ProgramFiles%\MakeMsi\_MM.VBS" "C:\export.mm" P

import.mm

#include "OpenMsi.MMH"

#DefineRexx ''
#DefineRexx

;--- Import tables below -----------------------------------------------------
<$Msi "<$Msi_SRC>">
	<$TableImportFromIdt "Exported IDT\File.idt">
<$/Msi>

import.cmd

"%windir%\system32\WSCRIPT.EXE" "%ProgramFiles%\MakeMsi\_MM.VBS" "C:\import.mm" P

I was thinking btw, do we actually need all this stuff, can't we just hex edit PRO11.MSI to change the small things we need?

Secondly, if we continue with MAKEMSI, we also need to find a way to edit File.idt before it get's imported back to PRO11.MSI (plus the folders "Exported IDT" and "out" need to be deleted as well, but that's peanuts).

Where's the P switch for, is it also possible to have silent output?

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:18 pm

I was really thinking about something like the sort2cabs method (Yeap i'm non-stop talking about it :D). Also this script is the main reason to export and import this 5 tables. And something more sort2cabs is auto modifiing the .idt files so there is no need for manual editing. Also this method is direct integration (so no need for admin installation however it's a little bit slowly). I just love it.

For the hex editing - i'm not sure... May be it's time for Siginet :)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:53 pm

I don't mind having an admin install, it allows me to have my CD-key built-in easily as well... In the final application we could ask the user if he/she already has an admin install, or else create it. I don't see the use of spending a lot of time finding out which cabs I need to unpack and then pack again, plus all the rest...

Hex editing can be (easily) done through AutoIt btw. I'm comparing the differences in the original PRO11.MSI and after patching the 2 entries from the File table.

OverFlow

Post by OverFlow » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:59 pm

pawan wrote:Thanks Viva I have updated my Office 2003 CD, and its working fine (perfect). I have use patched PRO11.MSI, though I haven't installed INFOPATH.

Is/will there be a similar tool for Office 2007?

Pawan
with office 2007 just put the patches in the folder for that and they will be run automaticaly

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:00 pm

Just like Vista. But I'm wondering, that is not direct integration, hotfixes get installed during setup right?

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 pm

OK me and viva spoke in IM and we decided we will go with the admin install method for the first initiall release of the project...

But the end goal is to use the direct integration method. That method is far more superior. It allows you to be able to fit all of the office tools on one cd. Whereas the admin install method is much larger and will not let you fit everything on 1 cd.

We are both busy with other things right now and don't have the time to put into the direct integration method now.
Viva has finals and I have a bunch of things going on. Like coding the next powerpacker and integrator... and a few other things.

So keep the ideas pooring in and we will do the best we can. :D
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:14 pm

Nothing more to add. ;)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:20 pm

Uploaded new version. RyanVM pointed me to bsdiff, now PRO11.MSI is not overwritten by a patched version, but patched on the fly!

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:52 pm

Did anyone experience good luck using an .MST file before? I am talking about the add-registry-entries function. I added the registry entries to Unattended.MST with ORK, but setup simply doesn't add the entries to the registry when installed with the "TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST" argument. Any suggestions?

Also, is it even possible to slipstream a Service Pack to a non-administrative install??

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:27 am

Uploaded new version with silent registry adder, that takes care of the .MST problem! :D

colornokia

Post by colornokia » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:02 am

ViVa wrote: Also, is it even possible to slipstream a Service Pack to a non-administrative install??
Yeap :) Again sort2cabs. My Office 2003 installation is integrated with SP2 and updates prior to June :)

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:33 pm

Thanks for the info. :)

Us2002

Post by Us2002 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:27 am

How about KB913571, KB917148, KB921587?
IMHO that was full support english office system 2003.

q: why u use drive "c:" in scripts, not "%systemdrive%"?