Using Integrator and nLite together [UPDATE] DONE!!

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
RaGhul

Using Integrator and nLite together [UPDATE] DONE!!

Post by RaGhul » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:35 pm

A lot of us use both Integrator and nLite together. And there seems to be quite a lot of discussion as to:

a) which is better.
b) what order to use them.
c) which app to use for a particular addon or COMBINATION of addons.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a TOPIC dedicated to this subject. Hopefully, it will help many of us with our little problems here and there. And eventually, maybe I'll even be able to come up with guidelines, listing which addons can/can't be used with each app, and so forth. :D

So, anyone who'd like to share their process with the rest of us, (or explain any problems he/she may have, looking for a solution) should post here.

Thx,
RaGhul

[UPDATE]
I FINALLY GOT IT FINISHED!! (See post below)

I still think this would be a good thread for finding and resolving issues, though, so I hope people continue to post.
:D

Thx for all the help, guys!!
Last edited by RaGhul on Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ViVa

Post by ViVa » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:07 pm

nLite is for enlightening your OS imo, not adding extras. The fact that it was expanded to do other stuff is great, but personally I prefer the Integrator, since it was made by the same authors as the Update Pack.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:09 pm

ViVa,
Do you ONLY use Integrator? And if so:

Any problems?
Can you remove components using Integrator?

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:13 pm

I agree with ViVa. A quote from What's Nlite? page:
nLite is a tool for permanent Windows components removal and pre-installation Windows configuration. After removal there is an option to make bootable image ready for burning on cd or testing in virtual machines.
With nLite you will be able to have Windows installation which on install does not include, or even contain on cd, the unwanted components.
But I dont want to see a sarcasting discussion for both of them. Its just our or people's preferences to select.
Dont blame, please. :rolleyes:

And RaGhul, removing components with Integrator is only available with addons. Integrator, itself, cant help you with that.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:24 pm

I think you misunderstood, DmX. :(

This thread isn't to blame anyone. I know it's a matter of preference for the most part. (In the first post, I mentioned that the topic's name was a little misleading. I just thought it had an 'Alien VS Predator' ring to it, that's all.)

I love Integrator. But I also like to remove crap I don't need. And you HAVE to use nLite to add IE7.

This thread is meant to be more of a "HOW DO I USE BOTH?" thread. :wink:

Thx for posting, guys.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:00 pm

This is a thread that can be useful but easily can turn ugly. I just hope that the thread stays within the grounds of not starting an nLite/Integrator... which is better type thread. Because both programs have their strengths and weaknesses. The integrators main goal is for adding things and Nlites main goal is removing things. Both programs do have the capabilities to do both. Allthough they do them in different ways. The capabilities of removing components can get very ugly and is a difficult task to accomplish because where you remove one thing... you mess up another.

Any modifications to a windows source needs to be done very carefully. All it takes is one bad modification and the whole setup is messed up. So whenever a bad addon is reported on the forums... we do our best to get it fixed.

Bottom line is the programs work well together for the most part. The best advise is... if you use them both... try to add components first... then remove. And it is best to test your iso after each integration or nLite run. Once you get a good working method... save your settings files for later use. ;)
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:34 pm

That's what the post was meant for. :wink:

Sigi,
Maybe you could change the name of the TOPIC to 'Using Integrator and nLite together' or something like that? I don't think I have permissions for that as a regular Member. :D

[EDIT]
Changed topic name. :wink:
Last edited by RaGhul on Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:38 pm

Why not, topic is yours :wink:

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:55 am

Food for thought:

I've tried each of the following:
1) Adding Ryan's Pack with Integrator, then nLite to Remove Components
2) Using nLite to Remove Components, then adding Ryan's Pack using Integrator.
3) Doing both with nLite.

Each of these give me copy errors during setup, except when I remove components FIRST, then add Ryan's pack with Integrator. Yet almost everyone here has recommended that I add 'whatever' first, then Remove Components.

Nuhi gets this alot, and almost always says you simply removed too much. Seems odd though. Even if that were true, why would you get copy errors?

Here's my theory:
In a thread at nLite, I read that there's a file telling Windows how big files are supposed to be. And if they're not that size, Windows poo-poo's on you :? (copy errors). I think Integrator (or Ryan's pack) adjusts that file (or performs a similar fix), whereas nLite does not.

The CD I made works fine. All my apps work. No glitches.

Any ideas as to why this is?

nuhi

Post by nuhi » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:05 am

RaGhul, I never said to anyone that he removed too much. Maybe related to the addon, but not too much. Because it's made that you can remove all and it still works.
Anyway post the exact steps of the problem on the nLite forum and I'll try it, but every time I say that that person never replies.
Meanwhile I agree with Siginet, if you use both use Integrator then nLite. IMHO this topic may be one line in the FAQ or some guide.
nliteos.com|vlite.net
Remove components and customize Windows

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:51 pm

nuhi,
I will post on the nLite forum. Hopefully, we can figure it out. :wink:

It's just frustrating. Because, I agree with Sigi: Integrator is more for 'adding on', and nLite is more for 'removal'. But both have the same goal of 'improving' your generic, out-of-the-box XP. And I want to do both: Take away all the extra crap, yet still have XP up-to-date when I first logon. Yet this has become excruciatingly difficult for me.

Let me just add that using either Integrator or nLite by itself works just fine. :D Maybe it's just that having all these options has made me greedy. :wink:

Both you guys make great apps. I just wished they worked a little better together. If you guys got together and made a joint project, I bet it would be AWESOME!!

[EDIT]
Nuhi, I posted .ini file HERE
Last edited by RaGhul on Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:32 pm

Actually me and nuhi recently spoke and we basically came to the same conclusion. We need to make them work together a little better.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:19 pm

Awww, thank the Gods!!

Sometimes I feel like I'm a madman, spouting forth nonsense on these forums. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my thinking. :wink:

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:47 pm

It's in everybody's best interest for nLite and the Integrator to work together well.
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

orcoxp

Post by orcoxp » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:52 pm

Forget working together...maybe just combine the tools into one!

That would kick some serious ass.
Chris Thomson
AKA OrcoXP

PHP/MySQL/phpMyAdmin 2 & 3 successfully running simultaneously on XP SP3 IIS.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:09 pm

Actually, that's what I was really getting at... :wink:

It wouldn't be easy, but with the combined programming skills of nuhi, Sigi, and Ryan, I'm sure they could do it. (In fact, they could even help each other with shortfalls in their apps, and make one KILLER proggy!!)

Probably just 'fanboy daydreams'... Image

(I know the smiley looks gay. Only one I could find.)

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:43 am

Does anyone who has successfully Integrated Ryan' Update Pack AND Removed Components have a .INI file I can take a look at?

(Plz send it PM, or as a file to my email. It's too long to post here.) :D

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:00 pm

I DID IT!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Although, I feel kinda stupid.
After going through the paces, Xable did the exact thing that I did and had 'zero' copy errors. So, he suggested it might be a 'hardware' issue. Sure enough, I slapped my hard disk (It's new, so I knew that wasn't the prob.) into another PC, and ....VOILA!! ZERO COPY ERRORS!!

(Duh, I should have thought of that!) :oops:
Well, with all the people posting about 'copy errors' with nlite, I naturally assumed something else was the prob. Never even occurred to me that the machine itself might be the cause!

Many shout-outs go to the following people:
5eraph, Sigi, Ryan, Kel, ricktendo, MrNxDmX, Xable (without whom I'd still be trying to figure it out)

...and of course, nuhi. I'm sure he'll be glad to know it wasn't NLITE. (BTW, 1.3RC seems to run even smoother than 1.2.1, IMHO.

crocodilechris

Post by crocodilechris » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:40 am

would it possible to make a thread where the status of Siginet's & nuhi's teamwork/collaboration is documented?
Or is there already one in another forum, maybe msfn?

Or don't you want to be bothered with questions, or make it on your own without telling about the status? {I would also accept that ;)}
greetz crocodilechris
using nLite

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:47 pm

Well, crocodilechris, the fact that nuhi and Ryan update at almost the same time pretty much says it all.

Like the fact that Ryan's January release only worked with Integrator 1.4.3 and... nLite 1.3RC2 (both released the same day).

I've PM'ed or IM'ed Sigi, Xable, and nuhi (and got nice, friendly responses from all.) Everyone works really closely together to make sure they all play nice with each other. I learned (the hard way) that if it DOESN'T work, you're probably doing something wrong. (Or, in my case, have CRAPPY hardware!! LOL)

There's all kinds of work happening on BOTH nlite and Integrator behind-the-scenes, and yes, they probably don't post it to avoid questions (like the most common one: "When are you gonna release the NEXT one?") :wink:

crocodilechris

Post by crocodilechris » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:45 pm

ahh okay, that's nice to hear. :)
I think I don't want to know more, because I know all I need. ;)

THX RaGhul for these infos.
greetz crocodilechris
using nLite

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:12 pm

np :wink: