Which Antivirus Software you Like ?

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
ahmerkhan

Which Antivirus Software you Like ?

Post by ahmerkhan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:34 am

I am currently Using Nod32 Antivirus,It takes very low amount of system resources as compared with other Antivirus Programs...

I am happy with Nod32,but for a specific reason i have to manage my School's Computer Lab...

They are Pentium 3 Computers...
No Internet Connection.

Bitdefender
Kaspersky
Nod32
AVG
Avast
Norton
Mcafee

I am just focusing on Light weight Antivirus with Best performance...
Which one will be the Best choice...

ScOOt3r

Post by ScOOt3r » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:27 am

Kaspersky is what i use and like

ScOOt3r!

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:27 pm

Nod32 is what I prefer. I mostly like its IMON part.

RyanVM
Site Admin

Post by RyanVM » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:53 pm

I use sav10, mainly because I've never had enough motivation to try anything else
Get up to $200 off on hosting from the same people who host this website!
http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2357

ricktendo64

Post by ricktendo64 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:08 pm

AVG Free cuz its super fast on my PC

Siginet
Site Admin

Post by Siginet » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:44 pm

I can second AVG Free. It doesn't use too many resources. It is great for slow PCs especially.
--Siginet--

Techware
Your Virtual Technician
Computer Management Software

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Ah, the good ol' AV debate!! Here's some food for thought:

Kaspersky's detection-rates are HIGHLY questionable. It constantly bugs you with little warnings, and has been shown on many tests to come up with false positives. So, if you see something that says it catches, say, "99.9% of all known viruses", now you know why. Kaspersky is often criticized for this. The joke goes that any app that cries over every little thing you do, and suspects everything as a virus, well... it's gonna catch alot of things.

High detection-rates mean nothing.
There are several suspect sites on the web that claim to be non-profit, non-biased, 3rd-party sites which test antivirus apps. Many of these are operated by the same av apps which, for some reason :rolleyes: , always seem to score the highest. Also, as mentioned above, false-positivescan also make an AV seem to have better detection than it really does.

I suggest scanning your pc with the ones you want to try out, get a feel for 'em, and most importantly, check the virus-scan results. Don't just take the proggy's word for it that something is a virus.

Norton is probably the best at catching viruses. But, it's a resource hog. Avast! and NOD32 are my faves. Avast! seems to catch a small fraction more than NOD, but it scans for malware as well, whereas NOD is just a pure AV. And avast! can be a little touchy. NOD32, on the other hand, uses less RAM than any other AV I've used. I highly recommend it for older PCs (for example, your 3 P3's.)
:D

AV's are alot like mutual funds; you really can't go wrong, no matter which one you pick. Everyone has an opinion, but it usually winds up being just that: their opinion.

All of the apps you mention are reputable, and offer good protection. In the end, it's really a matter of personal preference.
Last edited by RaGhul on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:52 pm

PS:
I posted a sister thread here.

Sigi, I hotlinked to your userbar signature. Sorry, but I really like it. :oops:
If you want, I can host it on my own, though. :wink:

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:13 pm

I use avast on all of my PCs. It's a decent "all in one" solution and it's free.

The slowest system I currently use is an AMD Athlon 2400+ (at 2 GHz) and it doesn't slow the system at all as far as I can tell.

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:40 am

Great responce in a day...Wow...:)

No One talked about Bitdefender....Amazing...!!

As we all know that Norton Antivirus is a dam boom which almost grab a lot of RAM.
Fortunately I my self tried all these Antivirs softwares i listed above except AVAST...

I really Like Nod32 due to its light weight...

AVG and AVAST...I used AVG antivirus in the past,It contains problems specially scanning on USB Flash Memory drives Data.May be they fixed the problem now...

Nod32
AVG Free
AVAST

Nod32 is Highly preferable throughout the Internet,I will test the other two as well...

Q:)Which One of the three takes Less amount of RAM Resources....?

Answer will be my Final Choice...:)

avneet25

Post by avneet25 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:34 am

u cannot update nod32 without internet connection.. unless u copy and paste all the files from a machine which has updated nod32.. i think !!!

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:59 am

avneet25 wrote:u cannot update nod32 without internet connection.. unless u copy and paste all the files from a machine which has updated nod32.. i think !!!
You Are rite...! Nod32 Can't release its offline Updates...
I have an an updated version @ home and i connected to Internet so i can sort this problem...

If u want to update offline u have to have one pc connect to internet & frequently updating. then u can get the update from that pc to offline pc using this prog.

Code: Select all

http://rapidshare.com/files/12198133/n32upgen.exe.html
You just have to specify a folder and it will transport all update to that folder. copy that folder to offline pc.set the update path to the folder(in nod32).

[/code]

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:13 pm

Then, where will we copy those files to?

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:47 pm

MrNxDmX wrote:Then, where will we copy those files to?
MrNxDmX....We Don't need any software to generate Nod32 Updates...They are already Exists in "%ProgramFiles%\Eset\updfiles"

So the Above software which is Nod32 Updates Collector just only Copy all files from "updfiles" folder and copy paste in the destination...This Utility may be usefull when connecting mulitple systems on the network...

To The Point...
How to tell Nod32 to Update from a USB Flash drive or Hardrive Etc...

*Open Nod32 Security Center.
*Choose Update Tab and go into SETUP.
*Go to SERVER >ADD >>
*Now you Can point out the Update Location...For Eg(I: is my USB Flash Drive which has a Folder NOD32_UPDATES with all updates)
*Add like this...
I:/NOD32_UPDATES/ {Don't worry about Slashes);)
*Change the Update Server to I:/NOD32_UPDATES/
*Click Update Now

It works :)

MrNxDmX

Post by MrNxDmX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Yay, thanks for clarification :wink:
I will use that method when I reformat. Better than downloading.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:30 pm

I used to use SAV 10 and/or SCS 3.1 which I get free from the DoD. I stopped using them ever since the infamous "black screen" issues that are now fixed. SAV is a resource hog (both RAM & CPU) and not too fast but it is updated daily (sometimes more often), and is almost guaranteed to catch 99.9% of malware (sparks the flamewar :D ).
I now use M$ OneCare and it's not too bad. I've used AVG-free in the past and it's great for slower PCs.
I'll probably switch back to AVG when my subscription is up.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:01 pm

mindcurd,
Once again, especially for your situation... NOD32.

And about that update thing, thx!! I did not know that. Now I'll be able to update MUCH faster after a format.

:D

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:02 am

Ok, I tried the update thing. But NOD said I was already up-to-date (which I am).

I'll have to try this on a fresh reformat.
BTW, that little program may just only copy the 'updfiles' folder, but I still like it. Handy little time-saver.

Thx! :D

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:05 am

CoOol...:D

Tasslehoff

Post by Tasslehoff » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:01 am

I'm using Mcafee VS11 Plus :shock: omg please don't ban me, lol. I almost always turn it off though after every reboot with my custom off script, as it makes my eyes hurt looking at the task manager. If I dowload something sus it's simply a matter of starting it up/updating and scan it before running it. I wouldn't recommend Mcafee 11 on a non-ryanvm slipstreamed CD to HD install though. I use AVG-Free on friends/family computers though as it's light/simple and set-it & forget.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:48 am

Tasslehoff wrote:I'm using Mcafee VS11 ..... I wouldn't recommend Mcafee 11
:lol:
I wouldn't recommend McAfee of any version to anybody! :lol:

Seriously, how can they justify actually charging for that stuff?

AVG Free would get my vote. Lightweight, fast, FREE!

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:10 pm

I've gotten rid of both Norton and Mcaffee because they turned into such resource hogs. I put Norton 2006 on my old win 98 450 pent II with 256 ram. It was such a hog the poor old beast kept crashing I switched to AVG free. That same system I've since loaded XP on and use the AVG free with no problems. I now use AVG free on my other computer too!
Joe

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:57 pm

Yup, I'm definitely dropping M$ OneCare now. Looks like it failed the virus test here.

Of course it failed with a 99.91% success rate...not too shabby. :lol:
Last edited by mr_smartepants on Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:05 pm

mr_smartepants,

Many antivirus tests are irrelevant, as they are totally biased and don't include information about false positives. (Read my earlier post.)

Going with any of these is your best bet:
AVG Free
avast!
NOD32

AVG and avast! Home Edition are both free. NOD32 charges, but the general consensus is that it offers the best protection.

Both NOD32 and avast! have the "set-it and forget-it" feature that Tasslehoff refers to. That's one of the things that has always bugged be about Kaspersky. I've seen a lot of members on various forums saying that you can adjust its settings so that it's not quite so sensitive and annoying, but why should you have to do that? It should be ready 'out-of-the-box'.

BTW, smartepants, you might wanna check the BBCode in your link! :wink:

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:31 pm

RaGhul wrote:Many antivirus tests are irrelevant, as they are totally biased and don't include information about false positives.
I'll agree with you there.
RaGhul wrote: AVG and avast! Home Edition are both free. NOD32 charges, but the general consensus is that it offers the best protection.
Not having used NOD32, I'll have to take your word for it. Having personally used AVG, Norton, McAfee (aaggchhh I can't get that taste out of my mouth!), and now M$, I can say that from the above list AVG is the best.

I guess my trademark sarcasm didn't shine through in the above post. :D
RaGhul wrote: BTW, smartepants, you might wanna check the BBCode in your link! :wink:

:oops:
Doh! Damn backspace key! Right next to the = key too! Well, I was in a hurry.

Kumo

Post by Kumo » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:02 pm

I have used AntiVir、AVS (ActiveVirusShield.)、avast

all are Free

Now test in AntiVir

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:36 pm

AVG Free is working Superb on those P3 Computers.....:)

Joe S

Post by Joe S » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:51 pm

I switched from AVG to Avast free after having a conflict with Zonealarm free. One of the computers I put it on is a pent II
Joe

The Creator

Post by The Creator » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:50 am

i do not mind bit defender and avg

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:07 am

RyanVM wrote:I use sav10, mainly because I've never had enough motivation to try anything else
Ditto, and once SAVCE got to version 10 (especially 10.1.5), it got like, really really REALLY good. No more need for a separate adware/malware remover like adaware. The memory footprint is quite substantial these days, about 40MB - as well as the definitions weighing in at 15MB. This would be considered too bloated 5 years ago, but should not be a problem on a modern client.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:10 pm

I'm switching my PCs from M$ Live OneCare (dog) back to SCS (Symantec Client Security). The newer version 3.1.5 (SAV 10.1.5) is much better than the previous version. I still think AVG is better for low-RAM systems but since I have 2Gb, that's not an issue.

Protagonist.

Post by Protagonist. » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Avast is best.

C0g

Post by C0g » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:29 pm

1. Avast Antivirus - not resource hungry and very effective. I use it at home.
2. ESET NOD32 - I use it at work both for server and workstation AV protection. Also not resource hungry.
3. BitDefender Pro - Resource hungry, but the best AIO Antivirus, Antispam, anti-Adware, firewall solution out there.

bober101

Post by bober101 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:05 am

ummm i use..nothing!lol good jugment always served me well.living in fear that i might be infected is such a waste. in the end,small viruses are very easy to notice and repaire,if its a big prob,than most antivirus wont even be able to clean or delete the threat.so all in all i dotn think i need a resource hog telling me its not capable of cleaning somthing that ure supposed to be protected against...and if u payed then its even more funnay. n e ways thats just my 2 cents, intuition and experiance(or just good ol common sense) sure beats anything.
XP theme source patcher
patches/overwrites ure default xp visual resources

ahmerkhan

Post by ahmerkhan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:16 am

AVG still working Best for me....Scanning USB Flash Memory,DVD's with Tremendous speed....:)

moataz

Post by moataz » Tue May 01, 2007 3:24 pm

What about Norton 360°?
I think it is fast and AIO.
XP Light, 8.1 Right Developer

iuli_kyle

Post by iuli_kyle » Tue May 01, 2007 3:43 pm

BitDefender Internet Security is the Ultimate Security Software ! Even it is a romanian product, is the second after the 1st antivirus, Kaspersky, Personally, i used Kaspersky and updated it, but it could not detect so many malware software as BitDefender did.Also it is low-resource comsumer (about 25 MB ). I vote for BitDefender, and i think it rulz all :P :D !
Image SFXMaker - The most complete switchless installer creator software

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Tue May 01, 2007 4:09 pm

moataz wrote:What about Norton 360°?
I think it is fast and AIO.
Norton still is garbage compared to the Symantec corporate brand. SAVCE has been AIO for over three years now, and is actually cheaper than norton retail. Many shops will sell you a single license client.

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:30 pm

best protection programs:

antivirus- NOD32
antispyware- AVG antispyware
antitrojan- AVG antispyware
firewall- agnitum outpost
antispam- gmail :)
antirootkit- rootkit unhooker

RaGhul

Post by RaGhul » Wed May 09, 2007 9:07 pm

Wow!! I can't believe these AV/AS threads are still alive!

@Fragbert,
I was not aware that Symantec had a separate SAVCE app until reading here. I thought you were talking about Norton in the other thread. Good info. Nice to know!

I still stand by NOD32, though. The mem footprint is just too much.

Coupled with Spybot and SpywareBlaster, you should be good to go... WITHOUT eating up all yer RAM.
:wink:

conan

Post by conan » Fri May 18, 2007 5:28 pm

Softwin BitDefender.
I have an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ and 1GB Ram and is not enough for Kaspersky which freezes computer.
Last year my computer was infected with trojan psw banker - not detected with Kaspersky.
A friend from a local hub with BitDefender 9 was discovered this trojan in my share.
I performed a full computer scan with Kaspersky 6 av and nothing.
I switch to BitDefender 9 and find 5 files infected.

grief

Post by grief » Sat May 19, 2007 12:33 am

i still use symantec 10 also. i was just looking around to see if theres any new "hot" ones out but like ryan i've never had a need to use another. its nice and simple.

Fragbert

Post by Fragbert » Mon May 21, 2007 3:27 pm

grief wrote:i still use symantec 10 also. i was just looking around to see if theres any new "hot" ones out but like ryan i've never had a need to use another. its nice and simple.
SAVCE v11 which should be out later this year is a complete rewrite and is supposed to be very badass. This is according to the last symantec gold tech I talked to when dealing with an incident case, he made the comment about it in passing.

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:19 am

Fragbert wrote:SAVCE v11 which should be out later this year is a complete rewrite and is supposed to be very badass.
I hope they roll out a newer version of SCS too. I'm getting fed up with these 3-4 minute boot times. :lol:

5eraph
Site Admin

Post by 5eraph » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:13 am

pepoluan

Antivirus testing, Antivirus I use, and stuff

Post by pepoluan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:19 am

For a neutral, independent AntiVirus test:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

What's good is that they do a very thorough test (download the PDF report instead of the online version), like mentioning that a certain product has too much false positives, the evolution of the product over a time period, etc etc etc.

I personally gravitate toward Avast! Home Edition:
1. It's free :)
2. It doesn't only scan viruses (on-demand and on-access), it also scans my email, scans the internet connection, even puts up a network defense thingy (I can see virus attacks over the network in its logs).
3. Offline update available, in a practical, easy-to-use single "update.exe" package.
4. It's relatively light on resources, unlike Norton (gah!), Symantec (better than Norton), although it loses to NOD32.
5. Up to now, in my experience it is the only antivirus that is able to scan & clean at boot time, i.e. before Windows starts. It will even suggest to do such a scan if it finds a virus that's too deeply embedded in the system.

The only drawback is that Avast! Home does not support scheduled scans. But that is rectifiable with one or two "at" commands from the Command Prompt :)

That said, I also installed BitDefender 8 Free Edition. BD8FE does not provide on-access, which is okay as on-access is performed by Avast!, and 2 on-access antiviruses will sooner or later conflict with each other.

Edit: Here's a relatively new news about av-comparatives and the performance of antivirii in general:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... osoft.html
Nobody is perfect.
I am nobody.

moataz

Post by moataz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:44 am

Hi People,
Anyone knows how to update NOD32 definitions Offline?
XP Light, 8.1 Right Developer

mr_smartepants

Post by mr_smartepants » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:51 am

moataz wrote:Hi People,
Anyone knows how to update NOD32 definitions Offline?
Check about ten posts up. :P
mindcurd wrote: We Don't need any software to generate Nod32 Updates...They are already Exists in "%ProgramFiles%\Eset\updfiles"

So the Above software which is Nod32 Updates Collector just only Copy all files from "updfiles" folder and copy paste in the destination...This Utility may be usefull when connecting mulitple systems on the network...

To The Point...
How to tell Nod32 to Update from a USB Flash drive or Hardrive Etc...

*Open Nod32 Security Center.
*Choose Update Tab and go into SETUP.
*Go to SERVER >ADD >>
*Now you Can point out the Update Location...For Eg(I: is my USB Flash Drive which has a Folder NOD32_UPDATES with all updates)
*Add like this...
I:/NOD32_UPDATES/ {Don't worry about Slashes);)
*Change the Update Server to I:/NOD32_UPDATES/
*Click Update Now

It works :)

Wesmosis

Post by Wesmosis » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:48 am

NOD32

bubbanc

Post by bubbanc » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:28 pm

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned: Active Virus Shield (Free Kaspersky)

All the benefits of Kasperksy without the cost. True AV and Anti-Spyware scanning at no cost.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... id=1982241