[vote] zonealarm pro 7 or kaspersky internet security 6

Forum for anything else which doesn't fit in the above forums. Site feedback, random talk, whatever, are welcome.
shahed26

[vote] zonealarm pro 7 or kaspersky internet security 6

Post by shahed26 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:01 pm

hi
i want to create an addon for a premium security program, and will share it with everybody except the serials, but i need your help. please vote as which one would you people recommend for the BEST OVERALL security program:
zonealarm pro 7 or kaspersky internet security 6

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:54 pm

comodo firewall is better than zonealarm and every other firewall...it got an almost perfect score on an extremely extensive leaktest. plus its freeware. search for it on here, ricktendo64 already created an addon for it.

and as for kaspersky...ugh, i would literally rather have a virus on my computer. its known for high memory usage and blocking programs like utorrent.

if youre going to make an addon, i would suggest NOD32 and AVG antispyware, to go along with comodo firewall. but if you really want to make an all-in-one program, try AVG's security suite.

benjamminzIS

Post by benjamminzIS » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:05 pm

runningfool87 wrote:comodo firewall is better than zonealarm and every other firewall...it got an almost perfect score on an extremely extensive leaktest. plus its freeware. search for it on here, ricktendo64 already created an addon for it.

and as for kaspersky...ugh, i would literally rather have a virus on my computer. its known for high memory usage and blocking programs like utorrent.

if youre going to make an addon, i would suggest NOD32 and AVG antispyware, to go along with comodo firewall. but if you really want to make an all-in-one program, try AVG's security suite.
another vote for comodo here!
_coming soon, don't hold your breath

dougiefresh

Post by dougiefresh » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:13 pm

I haven't had any problems out of ZoneAlarm. Haven't tried the others mentioned.

shahed26

Post by shahed26 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:14 pm

what about nod32 v2.7,

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:29 pm

make an addon for nod32, but indicate where people could input their account information to have the full version.

jamesdean

Post by jamesdean » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:14 pm

Kaspersky Internet Security 7

shahed26

Post by shahed26 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:46 pm

which software is best for virus, spyware, basically all round protection?
or is it better individual software like one for virus, one for spyware, and one for firewall considering system resources?

runningfool87

Post by runningfool87 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:27 pm

@shahed26: i posted a comment about this on wincert, look there. but for everyone else ill put it here too.

let me start off by saying that a program which provides all-around protection (antivirus, antispyware, antispam, firewall) not only uses more resources, but it also protects less than individual programs...THINK about this: which firewall will work better, one designed and programmed by a company where everyone works on that firewall, or one where only some people work on it while others design the antivirus and others make the antispyware? the more people you have working on a program, the better (usually) it is.

i consider myself knowledgeable with computers, so i only use a firewall (and thats only when im not behind a router). i use comodo firewall...its free and has proven to be the best in leaktests

here is an addon for comodo: http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... ght=comodo

link to leaktest results: http://www.matousec.com/projects/window ... ls-ratings

as far as spyware goes, AVG antispyware is probably the best...it used to be called ewido antimalware, but then AVG bought them and changed the name. the reason i say its the best is because A LOT of people have recommended it to me and it is also by far the best anti-trojan software you can get. the free version does not automatically update or sit in memory to actively protect your computer. as i said before, i consider myself a knowledgeable computer user...so i only use the free version, just in case something sneaks onto my computer.

deciding which antivirus is best is difficult. i have used nod32, kaspersky, bitdefender, symantec, antivir, AVG, and avast. it is my personal OPINION that nod32 is the best.

if you start looking at antivirus tests, the 2 that always score very high or the highest are NOD32 and kaspersky...and many people also believe these 2 to be the best. kaspersky detects a slightly higher number of viruses (the difference between kaspersky and NOD32 is VERY small) and also has more virus definitions, but uses more system resources and in some rare cases can cause computers to lock up. NOD32 has fewer definitions because it uses HEURISTICS (a set of rules that define what a virus is) which help catch new viruses that dont have definitions yet. fewer definitions and a different scanning method means NOD32 runs faster. also if you customize the settings correctly, you can set NOD32 to automatically quarantine, clean, and delete all viruses and never pop up and get in your way about anything.

kaspersky was also flagging a recent version of utorrent as a virus/trojan, even though it wasnt.

...other programs i use, in case anyone is interested:
-spyware blaster (thanks ricktendo ;) )
-spybot search & destroy
-bugoff, hijackthis, startuplist (from www.merijn.org)
-crap cleaner
-recuva
-eraser
-mru blaster
-peerguardian (if you dont know what this is, you shouldnt be here ;) )

so........if addons are going to be made, and you must use them, i recommend:
1) antivirus: NOD32
2) avg antispyware (free version)
3) comodo firewall (already created, see 1st link)

shahed26

Post by shahed26 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:41 am

All you people out there thank you so much for your help, and votes.

ok after all these replys, votes and peoples recommendation, the result is:
nod32 for virus
comodo firewall for firewall

but for ANTISPYWARE which one would you people recommend also considering system resources

ronmanp

Post by ronmanp » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:41 am

please dont use antispyware it will remove Windows !!!

hehe only joking , what about spybot s&d ?